PDA

View Full Version : Real world light requirements for rifles

Neeglik
08-07-06, 12:35
Looking for some real world feedback (military or police) on rifle weapon lights, preferably used in the urban environment. Are you guys prefering 6v or 9v? Is 6v good enough?

I have a SF M910, but Id like to streamline my rifle and keep it as light (no pun intended) as possible. That M910 is so damn heavy.

I tried researching the topic, but couldnt find any real specific answers.

Thanks...

nickdrak
08-07-06, 15:26
I prefer the 9V M910 purely because it is what it is: super bright, built like a tank, mounts the light at the 6 o'clock position, which I think is a big plus when negotiating around corners "slicing the pie" or whatever they call it nowadays. The LED navigation lights are a bonus.

I also think the M910 is about as streamlined as you can get with a 9V weaponlight system when you consider that a separate 9V light, a mount, and a Vertical grip weigh about as much, or more. Mounting a separate 9V light and a VFG on the 6 o'clock rail is not always an option unless you have a 12" rail on you rifle, which adds weight to your rig as well.

If you dont need a 9V light for YOUR purposes, then I think a Scout light or a X200B is a nice light-weight set-up.

SuicideHz
08-07-06, 15:48
The new switch for the X200s looks very nice as well!

bigbore
08-07-06, 16:37
6V is all that is needed 99.999% of the time for the type of, and distances you will be shooting in the dark.

STAFF
08-07-06, 17:14
6V is all that is needed 99.999% of the time for the type of, and distances you will be shooting in the dark.

I tend to agree with Steve that a 6V will cover most Civy shooters needs for HD, I prefer the 9V (as long as it is small and light) because I live out in the country and want to be able to ID a target 100yds out.

The M910A is an excellent light for sure, but is on the heavy/expensive side. The other problem is if you snap the grip, you have lost both your light AND your VG...

SuicideHz
08-07-06, 18:02
My C3 9v isn't much brighter than my G2 unfortunately so I'd have to agree with the above two comments.

MudBug
08-08-06, 10:27
A rule of thumb I've heard that makes sense is ;

One Lumen/Yard to see the target, Two Lumens/Yard to be able to identify the target and clearly determine it is a threat.

Meaning that at one lumen/yard you can see the target well enough to get hits, but if you want to be able to clearly identify the target and determine that he is armed and a threat then double that.

So for most civilian uses a 60 - 70 Lumen light would work just fine, but being guys we will always opt for a little more, so I have a 135 Lumen light on my rifle. Keep in mind though that if this is on a weapon that will be used indoors it is very possible to go overboard with a light that is too bright. It can reflect off of white walls and mess with the vision of the user.

Neeglik
08-08-06, 10:57
Keep in mind though that if this is on a weapon that will be used indoors it is very possible to go overboard with a light that is too bright. It can reflect off of white walls and mess with the vision of the user.

In addition to weight, this is another very valid concern of mine.

Patrick Aherne
08-08-06, 11:16
The last time I had to hold someone at long-gunpoint for an extended period of time, it was with a 14" 870 with beanbags. I know I need to work out more, but jeebus, my arms were ready to fall off after about 25 minutes.

On my rifle at home, I run a 6v incandescent system with an LED navigation light. On the work rifles, there is a 9v system because we patrol an area that is more suburban that urban and there are some large properties, like golf courses we've had to search. But this is specific to my department and MY NEEDS. Not everyone will need the same light or amount of light.

The M900 series is great for hopping out of the car and doing something for the next ten minutes. I know I wouldn't want it for a general patrol type rifle. Weight really becomes an issue when you are doing a long search, or a protracted car stop with 5 people inside, etc.

Bottom line is: figure out what your needs are and then try to make your equipment fit those needs. Don't buy something because Unit XXXX uses it, or it looks cool. Buy something that works for you.

Erick Gelhaus
08-08-06, 20:54
Like Patrick A, I currently run a 9v set-up on my work AR. My patrol beat includes the periphery of an urban area, a lot of suburban construction and some quite rural stuff - that doesn't count the adjacent beats I have to go to or through. I like the "throw" of the 9v light sustem.

BB493
08-08-06, 22:45
When it comes to tac lights, there's a level of satisfaction when you don't have to shoot someone because their retnas just melted.

My area is a mix of suburbs, apartments, light industry, construction and rural. I run a 9 volt light on my rifle and carry one on my belt as well.

DocGKR
08-11-06, 10:01
I am tired of big, heavy, expensive, complex lights--thus I stick with simple 6v systems with push button tail caps and simple mounts: G2's in VTAC mounts, 6P's w/shock bezels in DD or VLTOR mounts, SF L4/Scount lights in LaRue mounts...

C4IGrant
08-11-06, 10:21
I am tired of big, heavy, expensive, complex lights--thus I stick with simple 6v systems with push button tail caps and simple mounts: G2's in VTAC mounts, 6P's w/shock bezels in DD or VLTOR mounts, SF L4/Scount lights in LaRue mounts...

Amen brother! :D I should send you out one of my WG6D lights for T&E.

C4

Neeglik
08-11-06, 10:49
Well, another officer and I did some amateur experimenting with lights the other night. We had a 6P, a M910, and an L4. The M910 was definitely the best, but the 6P, in our opinion, was almost just as good. The L4 was too wide of a beam. It was the most pleasant w/in 10 yards or so, but didn't have enough throw outside of that.

We shot the beams across a field to a treeline about 50 yards away. Again, the M910 lit it up the best, but the 6P was good enough. The L4 did not illuminate the treeline at all.

I'm still a little torn on the 6v vs 9v option. I've sold off my M910, but I may grab a 9v body and play with it a little. My understanding was that a L4 and a Scout weaponlight are about the same lumens. If so, then I've pretty well decided that I don't like the short throw of LED's for a rifle.

Again, this is all just amateur talk, but it is what we experienced while working our beat (which is where it's going to matter most to us).

Harv
08-11-06, 21:46
I've been running a G2 with Shock bezel and Tail clickie in a newly acquired VLTOR mount now for close to 3 years. It's been reliable, has been thru numerous classes and thousands of rds and very reliable. My needs are being met and I'n satisfied with the 65 Lumens for my needs.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v494/harv24/IMG_1083.jpg