PDA

View Full Version : Is this 1100 good for a GP shotgun?

ASH556
01-07-11, 10:38
I sold my 870 for several reasons that I won't go into, but one of which was that I preferred an auto. I was saving for a Benelli, but we got this 1100 in at work that keeps piquing my attention. It appears to have a 21" Vent Ribbed Barrel, but also appears to be factory threaded for chokes. It has walnut stocks and an engraved receiver. What is this thing setup for? Will in run reliably? For me, a shotgun would not be a go-to for HD, but might serve as a secondary or 3rd gun if needed. It would be more my go-to for skeet, hunting, etc. You know, all those times when people say, "hey, you wanna go shoot "blank"", and you think, I need a less tacticool gun for this crowd.

Thanks!

PrarieDog
01-07-11, 18:09
I prefer my 1100's over my 870. My tac 4 1100 is my go to shotgun. Though not my go to gun but if I grabbed a shotgun my Tac 4 is the one I would grab. It has been 100% reliable and is a solid shooter. I would not mind a Benelli but it is that little problem of cash limiting me.

ASH556
01-13-11, 10:06
Any other input on this 1100? Thanks!

Hmac
01-13-11, 10:19
I've had an 1100 Special Field (21 inch barrel, straight stock) as my main bird gun for almost 25 years. It's been utterly reliable. I haven't used it in any tactical training situations, but in general I prefer it to my Mossberg. The gas system does prefer to be maintained, kept clean.

MarshallDodge
01-13-11, 11:54
From what I remember of my 1100 is that it was setup to run 3" shells and it would only run 3" shells. Unless I changed the barrel assy then I could not run 2-3/4" shells. Something to consider.

TOrrock
01-13-11, 13:30
They can be reliable.

If it's set up for 3" mag, then it will handle 2 3/4" high brass heavy loads, but not low recoil or light loads.

In a 1100, I'd stick with a 2 3/4" chambered barrel. Make sure it's threaded for Remchokes and not some proprietary choke a smith might have put on it.

All 1100's have that "engraving" on the receiver.

Big thing to watch out for is the rubber O ring in the gas system. That $4.00 of rubber breaks/wears out/dry rots, and you've got a single shot shotgun.

ASH556
01-13-11, 14:54
So then it sounds like the thing to do is wait and keep saving for a Benelli. Thanks for the info.

Hmac
01-13-11, 17:19
So then it sounds like the thing to do is wait and keep saving for a Benelli. Thanks for the info.

The Benelli is a great shotgun. My buddy has an M4 and it's a beast, but I've never seen a shotgun that was so finicky about ammo.

TOrrock
01-13-11, 18:24

Just have to bear in mind that you're talking about a shotgun that's a 50 year old design, which is both good and bad.

It's good because there isn't a formally trained gunsmith who can't make one run, and it's relatively straight forward in operation. Parts and aftermarket support is all over the place, it's an extremely sustainable shotgun system.

It's bad because it's not going to be as versatile in it's ability to digest a wide variety of loads. If it's set up for 2 3/4" use, which the vast majority are, then you're fine.....because there's nothing you can't kill on this planet with 2 3/4" loads.

But, if you have a shorter than 24" barrel, it might not like light loads.

If you have a 3" magnum chambered barrel, then it's going to want to work great with 3" mag and 2 3/4" mag and high brass, but it won't want to work with light 2 3/4" loads.

The O ring just needs to be looked at occasionally. Keep some spares handy.

It's a durable and decent gun that's been around for a long time.

The "next gen" of the 1100 was the 11/87, which in hunting guise will handle both 2 3/4" light loads as well as 3" mag, but in shorter defensive barrels tends to run best with the heavier defense loads.

A more modern gas system design like the FN or a short recoil inertial system like the Benelli will be a little less picky about light loads, but none of them are going to want to work all that great with the Walmart special el cheapo light dove loads.

awm14hp
01-13-11, 18:47
My family have been all 1100 since the 80's for all our shotguns and never had them burb or slow down at all. I been running and gunning and hunting with a REM 1100 SP as my first and only shotgun that was when I was 14 I am almost 40 now. Its all I plan on using till the end.

TEMP have you shot the 1100 "The "next gen" of the 1100 was the 11/87, which in hunting guise will handle both 2 3/4" light loads as well as 3" mag, but in shorter defensive barrels tends to run best with the heavier defense loads.""

I love the gas system on the 1100 and had no problems shooting anything from Buck to slug to any shot load including very light AA skeet loads in all barrel lengths. My dad and I have been running them since they came out in 1100 series never any issues with anything. Maybe we got fluks but we have them in 12 and 20.

TOrrock
01-13-11, 19:07
Did you read my whole post, or just skim it?

awm14hp
01-13-11, 19:20
Did you read my whole post, or just skim it?

Yeah I read the whole thing thats why I asked I am not trying to start a pissing match just wondering.

TOrrock
01-13-11, 19:34
In my post I stated that they can be very reliable, but in SHORTER DEFENSIVE LENGTH BARRELS.....18"-20", then they get much more finicky about light loads. In factory hunting barrels, i.e. 26", 28", 30"....they run like scalded dogs.

2 3/4" chambered barrels will run dove loads, turkey loads, magnum loads, etc, as long as they have barrels running about 24" and above, to generate sufficient gas pressure.

3" mag barrels only really like 3" or heavy loaded 2 3/4".

No were did I say that they were crap, but they do have to be massaged to work well in shorter barrels....which only stands to reason, since Remington designed them as hunting guns, not law enforcement or military guns.

And yes, I've got a fair amount of time behind the trigger on them, mostly in riot gun configuration.

coyote hunter
01-14-11, 00:19
I bought an 1100 LT in 20ga about 9 years ago. (I was still a little tike) After a few years I had ejection issues. New O rings later, no issues. Like many have said, keep a few on hand. Then one day last winter I had it seize up on me for no reason. I was running 2 ¾ #7shot. Couldn’t clear it by grabbing the charging handle. So I pulled off the fore grip, and pumped it like an 870. Haven’t had any issues with it other than that.

After that incident I decided that a pump was the only way to go for defense if you're using a shotgun. I’ve been running 870’s with all sorts of loads and thousands of rounds without a single issue.

For your specified intentions I think an 1100 would be perfect. I've been using mine for as long as I could hunt, and I've even made an extended butplate so I can shoot it comfortably. I absolutely love my little shotgun.

Not that I know all about shotguns, but that’s my .02

MarshallDodge
01-14-11, 10:34

I love my M1. Took a shotgun class in 2009 and ran my reloads, bulk Federal and Winchester 100 pack ammo, slugs, and buckshot and it never hiccuped once. I have also run a few rounds of trap with it and have had one hiccup which I believe was a mis-formed shell in a reload.

It kicks pretty hard with the heavier loads which is an issue with inertia shotguns. I hear guys rave about the Winchester X2's when it comes to recoil so that may be another one you want to look at.

Steve
01-14-11, 12:57
In my post I stated that they can be very reliable, but in SHORTER DEFENSIVE LENGTH BARRELS.....18"-20", then they get much more finicky about light loads. In factory hunting barrels, i.e. 26", 28", 30"....they run like scalded dogs.

2 3/4" chambered barrels will run dove loads, turkey loads, magnum loads, etc, as long as they have barrels running about 24" and above, to generate sufficient gas pressure.

3" mag barrels only really like 3" or heavy loaded 2 3/4".

No were did I say that they were crap, but they do have to be massaged to work well in shorter barrels....which only stands to reason, since Remington designed them as hunting guns, not law enforcement or military guns.

And yes, I've got a fair amount of time behind the trigger on them, mostly in riot gun configuration.

Temp, I did an easy fix i found a used beat to death 1100 in az while out there teaching 250 bucks it had a 30 full choke bead barrel on it that had been cut to 18 inches..... it runs like a machine on all loads

I have been a die hard 1100/1187 guy for years and correct get a good stock of those o rings and have no worries its good running gun

pdb
01-21-11, 11:10
Big thing to watch out for is the rubber O ring in the gas system. That $4.00 of rubber breaks/wears out/dry rots, and you've got a single shot shotgun.

I buy my o-rings from this guy http://www.ericwesselman.com/store/RemmyORing.html for $10/20 shipped. At that price, I remove and throw the old o-ring out every 6 months or when I notice a nick or tear in it. I also put a drop of light oil on the o-ring right before I reassemble the gun, and lithium bearing grease on the bolt carrier (watch your fingers on the bolt rails in the receiver, they wear SHARP).

My 1100 wears a plain full choked barrel that was cut down to 20" to match my 2 round mag extension, and it runs great and shoots Walmart bulk OO buckshot in about a 20" pattern at 25 yards. I've put a couple thousand rounds of cheap birdshot and buckshot through it over the years and it's never malfed.

I also like the 1100 Competition Master shell carrier: http://www.midwayusa.com/viewproduct/?productnumber=185213, you can also get it from Remington. Installation is a snap and it gives you a really action / lifter release instead of that little button. I prefer it to the shell loading gate that dangles from the receiver.

The Streamlight 870 light mount is also a cheap way to get a light on your gun. http://www.opticsplanet.net/streamlight-rem-870-tactical-mount-69906.html Mine carries a TLR-1.

Good luck with yours, OP.

jasonhgross
01-21-11, 11:23
Templar is dead on. For another data point, I shot about 3000 rounds through my 1100 on skeet and trap with very few malfunctions. Keep it sorta clean (with a wipe down of the mechanism/spray it out) and you are gtg. Sweet shooter for a GP shotgun. I wish I hadnt sold/given mine to a friend.