PDA

View Full Version : front sight adjustment tool?

twodogs
01-07-11, 11:13
I am new to the AR platform, so please forgive my ignorance.

Do you need a "sight adjustment tool" for the front sight of an AR, or can you use something else to make adjustments?

Thanks in advance!

- FWIW - I tried searching, but I kept receiving error messages from the site.

JSantoro
01-07-11, 11:47
Use a nail, or the tip of the bullet on an unexpended round, or a nail-punch, or a dental pick, or......

That said, a purpose-made front sight adjuster is damned nice to have. Don't think of it as a requirement, though.

One example of many onthe market. http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/SearchResults.asp?Search=front+sight+tool

twodogs
01-07-11, 11:50
Thanks for the prompt response!

Skang
01-07-11, 14:45
It would be easier, if you have proper tool.

But, It's pretty much one time thing. You can use sharp edge to press the pin and use back of pencil eraser to turn it.

TriumphRat675
01-07-11, 15:14
After a frustrating afternoon trying to use an unfired round instead of a dedicated tool, I'd say the tool is worth the $11.

Joeywhat
01-07-11, 15:21
If I forget my sight tool I usually use a small pair of needle nose pliers. Not as quick as the tool, but MUCH quicker then jamming a bullet in their.

ssracer
01-07-11, 15:38
I use a pair of thin needle nose pliers

pilotguyo540
01-07-11, 16:32
The bullet works, but it does suck. I prefer my handy dandy pocket screwdriver. You won't need to change your front sight height often (if ever) after you initially dial it in, so pass on the tool if money is tight.

Gombey
01-07-11, 17:12
I'm excited, I can actually contribute to the board....kind of...

IMO get the tool, I had to use a nail and the fore mentioned unspent round during basic. It sucked, a D.S had the tool. It was amazing how much easier it made adjusting the sight. I have a Gerber multi-tool on order

JSantoro
01-07-11, 18:02
The Leatherman tools from the Blast on up to the the Charge ALX have a flathead jeweler's screwdriver on it; perfect. A multitool is a good thing for anybody for practically any reason.

Get one without that option, you still have the tip of the can/bottle opener.

Then, of course, there's my favorite.... http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/sid=77084/pid=40883/sku/Ultralight_Multitasker_Tool

GLOCKMASTER
01-07-11, 18:10
Then, of course, there's my favorite.... http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/sid=77084/pid=40883/sku/Ultralight_Multitasker_Tool:big_boss:

Yes the Multitasker line of tools is definitely worth the money.

BudJr
01-08-11, 17:00
$5.95 at del-ton.com

kartoffel
01-08-11, 19:31
Maybe I'm anal, but I keep both A1 and A2 sight tools in my range bag. You never know when somebody's going to have a sticky sight that won't turn with just a bullet tip.

BudJr
01-08-11, 20:13
There are two kinds of tools.
1.Must buy
2.Just buy

I think this one of those tools you just buy.

Zach
01-09-11, 04:49
Get the Multitasker Ultralight.

paulkuda
01-17-11, 18:05
I have a couple of questions on the use of the A1/A2 Adjustment tool... I have a Daniel Defense M4 with the following front BUIS https://danieldefense.com/components-parts/upper-half/front-sight-assembly-0-750-diameter.html

The post has 4 notches in it. When I was zeroing it (which may need to be tweaked), I used a bullet to press the nub/lock down and my Gerber to twist the post. The post got marred a bit.

Questions:
1) Is this an A1 or A2 front sight?
2) How does this tool work? The ones I have seen have 5 notches on them where my post has 4 semi-circular cutouts.

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated, especially if I end up with an XS Sights post, I don't want to be hacking it up. If there has been a post already on this, my apologies - could you please send the link?

Thanks!

PGK

Skang
01-17-11, 19:15
four-prong head (A2)

five-prong head (A1)

paulkuda
01-18-11, 05:18
Great thanks. With that i assume they are all the same diameter.

Thank you.

PGK

pjchang7
01-18-11, 10:48
I bought a UTG two sided sight adjustment tool for $8 at my local gun shop. They sell them on various online sites as well. 4 prong on one side and 5 prong on the other. Makes sighting in seem like less of a chore and prevents unnecessary scratches for people who care. I'm sure many people have that one AR that they like to baby. I know UTG is not known for making military grade/real firearms equipment as many people say their stuff is only good for airsoft, but this adjustment tool is more than tough enough.

svh
03-26-15, 06:59
Sorry to dredge up such an old thread, but instead of starting a new one, I'll post my question here.

I have 2 F marked FSBs, one on a Colt, and one on a Sig. The distance between the "wings" will not allow any of my front sight tools to reach the detent grooves on the front sight post. I want to change out the posts, but havin a hard time. Any easier way ? Different tool ?

556Cliff
03-26-15, 20:37
Sorry to dredge up such an old thread, but instead of starting a new one, I'll post my question here.

I have 2 F marked FSBs, one on a Colt, and one on a Sig. The distance between the "wings" will not allow any of my front sight tools to reach the detent grooves on the front sight post. I want to change out the posts, but havin a hard time. Any easier way ? Different tool ?

I use 2 toothpicks, one to press the detent down and one to spin the sight post out of the base.