PDA

View Full Version : Heavier buffer results in M4 16"

WBAR
01-07-11, 17:09
After using "search" to find and read countless threads on buffer weights, I decided to try an ST-T2 buffer in my Stag Mdl. 1. Mainly I was trying to see if the 1 o'clock ejection I was getting with my standard carbine buffer could be changed to maybe 2 o'clock with the ST-T2. No luck there- still 1 o'clock. The empties are now being ejected about 3' instead of about 5' with the carbine buffer (ejection is still strong enough & function was perfect). As a subjective judgement I felt the action of the bolt was smoother, recoil felt somewhat lighter, and the overall effect was quite positive. I think I'll try an H buffer eventually just for comparison purposes. The knowledge base here is incredible; and I've learned a lot in a very short time, while realizing how much I have yet to learn.

mattk
01-07-11, 18:47
Are you using the Stag BCG that the rifle came with? I used to have a Stag Model 1. I put an H buffer in it and replaced the extractor spring and insert with a 5 coil spring and black insert from BCM. If I remember correctly, it ejected brass around 5ft at about 2 or 3oclock.

markm
01-07-11, 18:52
The direction brass ejects is way overthought. It doesn't tell the full story of a carbine's function by any means.

WBAR
01-08-11, 07:47
Thanks for the responses, guys.
Mattk- I am using the stock Stag BCG except that I upgraded the extractor assembly to one with a black insert spring that I got in a Doublestar repair kit. WB