PDA

View Full Version : U.S. Palm Ballistic Armor

PA PATRIOT
01-07-11, 17:53
I have been reading a lot about U.S. Palm ballistic armor systems over the past few months and while this type of armor can't replace a properly fitted full coverage body armor package this may not be the worst choice for a get home or safe room use. I did a search here on M-4 and had a negative return but if its but discussed before please list a link.

http://www.us-palm.com/administrator/components/com_products/images/products/Defender_A.png

http://www.us-palm.com/index.php?option=com_products&view=product&id=10

PrarieDog
01-07-11, 18:10
I am interested in this too.

pilotguyo540
01-07-11, 19:40
It looks like a good cheap option to investigate a bump in the night. Its gotta be better than going out plain clothed. I think this would be great for us with more pressing financial obligations to at least get some cheap insurance.

Sry0fcr
01-07-11, 19:56
I'll admit that I've thought that a plate carrier with plate backers would make a practical armor solution for us regular folks.

PA PATRIOT
01-07-11, 20:14
The MSRP is $199.00 for the level 3-A front panel and your choice of carrier and $299.00 for both front and rear panels with carrier. I don't know if the level 3-A panels are certified to current acceptable standards but I'M going to contact the seller to see what info they can provide.

mike_556
01-08-11, 16:52
The MSRP is $199.00 for the level 3-A front panel and your choice of carrier and $299.00 for both front and rear panels with carrier. I don't know if the level 3-A panels are certified to current acceptable standards but I'M going to contact the seller to see what info they can provide.

Let us know what you find out--this might be a little bit of inexpensive help to keep next to the HD weapon in case something goes "bump in the night"

PA PATRIOT
01-08-11, 19:21
Here is a video of the defender getting shot put out by U.S. Palm, I don't know what if any controls were used so I would not take the video results as gospel to the products fitness for any use.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zIRawHbC1vc&feature=player_embedded

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z04VAwXk8JA&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z3EB0e58tB0&feature=related

Cobra66
01-09-11, 09:07
I have been looking at this myself. I did a little research on this and there are a few threads about this product and as I recall, the opinions were for the most part positive to neutral.

I'll agree that it isn't the best possible armor, but I think it would really be handy as a quick-don vest or as a second set of body armor for family/friends during civil unrest.

I would be interested in knowing how well this would conceal (the vest with just the Molle web) under a heavy shirt or light jacket :confused:

Palm also sells a Level IV plate carrier with plates, but consensus here is that the plates are designed for aircrew who occupy static positions and thus heavier and allow for less arm movement than proper plates.

Phazuka
01-09-11, 16:32
On the US Palm Defender, can it be upgraded with a cumberbund of other maker? I'd get the Molle version and wear it on occasion like trips to the grocery store and bank under a t-shirt or regular clothes and still be able to attach a rack of mags or handgun holster and mags/flashlight pouch for HD. Another option for the molle version is wearing it under my hard armor PC.

The Airsave plates for the other US Palm product are Aircrew armor plates. They weigh 20lbs and aren't cut for shooters making shouldering a rifle more difficult. I was looking into this set but decided on a Diamondback FAP-C and Bulletproofme.com shooter cut level 4 ceramic plates and soft lvl 3a side armor fpr my hard armor rig.

PA PATRIOT
01-17-11, 16:33
I'M still waiting for a reply to a list of questions I e-mailed to U.S. Palm Ballistic, I received a auto reply a few days ago but no hard info yet.

kal0220
02-23-11, 10:07
Phila, did you ever hear back from them? I also emailed but never got an answer.

Has anyone else tried these or know of any reviews?

Phazuka
02-23-11, 13:12
What questions do you guys have? I have 2 defender soft armor panels in my current PC.

Paraclete comes
02-23-11, 15:06
Does not look to bad. Obviously light weight being 500 denier but for the use seems fine. I would opt for sure for the back panel though, if its worth wearing armor its worth haveing front and back.

something else to keep in mind for that price range. You can buy full vests from sites like this or even the military yard sale websites. base families and guys sell used gear there for cheap. You could get a full interceptor vest, or a scaleable plate carrier by eagle for two undred dollars. I know a few of you have mentioned you want molle, cumberbund, etc. that is all already included in the mentione plate carrier and it has 3a soft armor already in it. something else nice about military contract armor is it can be shot both front and back. While most civilian armor I have seen is designed to be shot only from one side. might not be critical to your needs, but I would rather have more options for the same money.

either way any armor option is a good one. A good piece of gear to keep on you or around. Oh sometimes for about 75 to 300 you can buy police style concealable vests off ebay. full torso armor is alot better in my opinion and those can disapear under a light jacket also.

just my two cents, hope it helps.

l3mon
02-23-11, 18:44
FYI

Midway USA carries the US PALM stuff, may get more info out of them..

500grains
02-24-11, 05:11
The MSRP is $199.00 for the level 3-A front panel and your choice of carrier and $299.00 for both front and rear panels with carrier.

That sounds like a really good deal. Can you confirm that the IIIA panels are NOT NOT NOT made in China? Thanks. I am not trying to slander the company, just checking. I don't buy dog food, drywall, Thomas the Train toys, food or other stuff made in China to the extent that I can avoid it due to quality problems and product safety problems. That being said, I cannot imagine trusting my life to a product made in China.

rob_s
02-24-11, 05:34
I've seen the carrier in question in person and it appears well made. I also think the concept is pretty sound from a home-defender standpoint. I would resist the temptation to make this something it's not with cummerbunds, etc. There are other, probably better, options in that regard.

I believe I've seen pictures somewhere of a pistol stuffed in the right-most (as worn) mag pouch as well. and they make a dedicated pistol option. I think if I were to buy one, however, I'd go with the MOLLE version and look to mount a kydex holster horizontally as their pistol version does and perhaps an AR mag, pistol mag, and flashlight horizontally to be accessed from the support-hand side as well.

Phazuka
02-24-11, 21:01
The nomenclature on the Defender body armor is as follows:

LARGE
BODY ARMOR
DEFENDER
TEST TO NIJ 04 LEVEL 3A

TYR PART NUMBER: TYR-KFX40-1
LOT NUMBER: TFI - 791-7-57
DATE OF MANUFACTURE: 1/11
SERIAL # 14xx

------------------------

MANUFACTURER

TYR TACTICAL, LLC 85382

TYR Tactical is out of Peoria, AZ.

http://www.tyrtactical.com/about-us/

There are 2 (front and back) US Palm Defender soft armor panels in this DBT PC.

http://i.imgur.com/dnT7A.jpg

Paraclete comes
02-24-11, 22:48
It looks well made indeed. If I was in the market for such an item I would consider that for sure.

uwe1
04-08-11, 01:30
I've seen the carrier in question in person and it appears well made. I also think the concept is pretty sound from a home-defender standpoint. I would resist the temptation to make this something it's not with cummerbunds, etc. There are other, probably better, options in that regard.

I believe I've seen pictures somewhere of a pistol stuffed in the right-most (as worn) mag pouch as well. and they make a dedicated pistol option. I think if I were to buy one, however, I'd go with the MOLLE version and look to mount a kydex holster horizontally as their pistol version does and perhaps an AR mag, pistol mag, and flashlight horizontally to be accessed from the support-hand side as well.

I got to handle one of these at a EAG Carbine 2 class and I agree it appears well made, however some other threads on this very same product seem to indicate that it's overpriced for what you get (armor wise). So the concept for this product is to throw in on quickly for bumps in the night?

https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=59766

In that thread, JSantoro commented that a Mayflower Lo Profile carrier with MSA Paraclete soft armor would be a better choice for armor.

You've mentioned that you use the Mayflower. Are your fairly happy with it? My considerations for purchasing an armor system are for bump in the night, SHTF, and possibly shoothouses.

rob_s
04-08-11, 05:01
I don't see the Mayflower lo-pro rig and this rig as fitting the same role. Among other things, even with the "tricks of the trade" the Mayflower is slower to put on than this thing. Additionally, the Mayflower offers no load-carriage if you need it.

If I was buying armor as part of an HD setup, I'd lean more towards the US Palm but I'd probably add standalone plates front and rear rather than use the soft armor that comes in it.

The Mayflower for me offers a wider range of options, but being slower to put on and not offering load carriage I don't think it's the best tool for HD.

PA PATRIOT
04-09-11, 11:59
I have made several e-mail requests for in-dept information about this product and have yet received a reply. The mission I envisioned for this product would be a quick deploying stand alone plate carrier for active shooter use over my soft armor.

uwe1
04-09-11, 21:26
I have made several e-mail requests for in-dept information about this product and have yet received a reply. The mission I envisioned for this product would be a quick deploying stand alone plate carrier for active shooter use over my soft armor.

I'm a bit hesitant about purchasing as well. The item being discussed is a Level 3A soft armor system. I'm not even sure you can stuff plates into the carrier. Do you think this system is worth the $300?

There is a video showing the soft armor defeating a variety of threats on their website.

They also have a Level 4 standalone plate system with soft armor backers for $400. The thing is a beast and weighs about 17-18 lbs. It uses the AirSave plates.

ZOMBIESLAYER
04-11-11, 13:28
This looks like a good option for HD. It seems quick and easy to put on and if you go with the MOLLE version you could set it up anyway you choose. What are some other options that offer these same types of things ?

uwe1
05-17-11, 21:40
Anyone else purchased one of these and have first hand experience? It still doesn't seem to be a bad deal at $300, versus about $500-$600 for a full vest set up.

Cobra66
05-18-11, 14:47
What questions do you guys have? I have 2 defender soft armor panels in my current PC.

How well would on of these conceal under a light jacket or heavy shirt?

Likewise, would the Mayflower be concealable at all? :confused:

Rider
05-18-11, 21:44
I have the Mayflower vest. It's fit and finish is top quality. It does take a minute to get into though. I would leave it a little loose and pull it on straight over my head if I wanted to get it on quickly, you can tighten it up later when time allows.

Is that your trick Rob? Is there something else I should try?

It is pretty concealable under a heavy shirt, it is not noticeable at all with a coat. At least for me it is, I have wider type shoulders on a medium sized frame so it just makes me look a little more fat then usual. You would notice it under a T-shirt though.

I may look at the Palm for my wife, it is a lot better then nothing and affordable.

uwe1
05-18-11, 21:44
They have a slick version with no pouches for better concealment.

The only size they have is large, which is supposed to fit a large ESAPI plate.

uwe1
05-18-11, 21:52
I have the Mayflower vest. It's fit and finish is top quality. It does take a minute to get into though. I would leave it a little loose and pull it on straight over my head if I wanted to get it on quickly, you can tighten it up later when time allows.

Is that your trick Rob? Is there something else I should try?

It is pretty concealable under a heavy shirt, it is not noticeable at all with a coat. At least for me it is, I have wider type shoulders on a medium sized frame so it just makes me look a little more fat then usual. You would notice it under a T-shirt though.

I may look at the Palm for my wife, it is a lot better then nothing and affordable.

If you don't mind me asking, what did your Mayflower set up end up costing you? General numbers are fine.

Rider
05-19-11, 09:04
I got it a couple of years ago. I checked the invoice for you. It ended up about $500 for XXL in multi-cam with the III-A Dynema inserts. Pretty darn expensive but the quality is there and since it just might save me a bullet wound it was worth saving up for, for me. I don't regret spending the tax refund on it! For the price, the palm also looks like a good option from the info I could see on the web.

uwe1
05-19-11, 12:43

I have a contact from US Palm I met during a EAG class. PM me and I'll send you his info.

uwe1
05-19-11, 13:31
I got it a couple of years ago. I checked the invoice for you. It ended up about $500 for XXL in multi-cam with the III-A Dynema inserts. Pretty darn expensive but the quality is there and since it just might save me a bullet wound it was worth saving up for, for me. I don't regret spending the tax refund on it! For the price, the palm also looks like a good option from the info I could see on the web.

That's a great price. I'm sure it costs more today.

Last night, I ended up ordering the US Palm Defender Molle version in Multicam from MidwayUSA. With the $30 off a $300 order (using the NRA code), the total was about $270 before shipping.

I'll try to post a review, but I have no experience with armor, so it won't be as qualified.

Cobra66
05-19-11, 13:37
How much more coverage does the Mayflower Lo Pro provide over the Palm Defender? :confused:

Honestly, right now the only big negative I'm seeing in the Defender is coverage.

I'm seeing it as a good option for a quick don HD vest or a spare vest that you could give to others who would not likely be facing goblins in a post disaster situation, but who you would want protection for.

uwe1
05-19-11, 15:13
How much more coverage does the Mayflower Lo Pro provide over the Palm Defender? :confused:

Honestly, right now the only big negative I'm seeing in the Defender is coverage.

I'm seeing it as a good option for a quick don HD vest or a spare vest that you could give to others who would not likely be facing goblins in a post disaster situation, but who you would want protection for.

The Defender isn't going to be the best coverage as its only the size of a Large ESAPI plate. I believe a reviewer on Midway said that the armor panel was only 10x13. If you're a large guy it might not cover everything you require. For me and my family, we aren't too tall, so the coverage should be adequate.

The main reason for these is insurance. Having a low profile inexpensive option that can be donned and removed quickly is what I'm going for. Something to investigate a bump in the night or for low probability societal breakdown situations.

If I was going to war, I would be purchasing far better. I'm not, so $270 for an armor carrier with IIIA front and back panels seems like an ok deal to me. There isn't a high probability that I'll need it. Plus, if I get plates later, the soft armor panels can be placed into a backpack or messenger bag.

Cobra66
05-19-11, 15:43
The Defender isn't going to be the best coverage as its only the size of a Large ESAPI plate. I believe a reviewer on Midway said that the armor panel was only 10x13. If you're a large guy it might not cover everything you require. For me and my family, we aren't too tall, so the coverage should be adequate.

The main reason for these is insurance. Having a low profile inexpensive option that can be donned and removed quickly is what I'm going for. Something to investigate a bump in the night or for low probability societal breakdown situations.

If I was going to war, I would be purchasing far better. I'm not, so $270 for an armor carrier with IIIA front and back panels seems like an ok deal to me. There isn't a high probability that I'll need it. Plus, if I get plates later, the soft armor panels can be placed into a backpack or messenger bag.

Thanks for the feedback and your reasoning is valid. For those who are not in the potential line of fire everyday, the reality of needing such a vest is very low, but obviously high enough that it is worth looking into. I would much rather face an LA Riot or Katrina type scenario with some sort of armor than not. The decision on whether to spend $1000+ for a level III or IVA system for a typical cash critical civilian is a tough one.

I'm right now leaning towards the Mayflower or a full concealment but this vest intrigues me as a lower cost option for family members or a quick don emergency vest.

uwe1
05-19-11, 19:04
Thanks for the feedback and your reasoning is valid. For those who are not in the potential line of fire everyday, the reality of needing such a vest is very low, but obviously high enough that it is worth looking into. I would much rather face an LA Riot or Katrina type scenario with some sort of armor than not. The decision on whether to spend $1000+ for a level III or IVA system for a typical cash critical civilian is a tough one.

I'm right now leaning towards the Mayflower or a full concealment but this vest intrigues me as a lower cost option for family members or a quick don emergency vest.

I haven't ruled out the Mayflower either. It seems like a great set-up with better coverage if I were to get into training in shoot-houses etc...

I'm going to purchase this one to evaluate and if it fits my needs, I'll get another, but in slick version for the wife. There's little chance she will be carrying any loads as she's a lightweight.

Rider
05-19-11, 21:05

I would estimate that the Mayflower offers double the coverage of the Palm. It goes higher and lower on your chest plus the soft armor wraps fully around your body on the sides till they touch.

Last Christmas I added these shoulder strap III-A pieces - http://stores.greygrouptraining.com/-strse-3000/PSP019/Detail.bok (on sale, back when they were cheaper)

This gives me front side coverage over most of my trunk and the upper chest/heart/shoulder regions. Still concealable and a fairly light weight set up.

That said, it was a good bit of money and I may get my wife the Palm as a SHTF last resort type aide at some point.

Cobra66
05-20-11, 05:45
Coverage is right now to me the biggest issue with the Palm Defender as I have a 46 inch chest. Apparently there is no difference in armor panel size between the different sizes of the Defender.

What do people know about/think about this vest? It seems like kind of the middle ground between the Palm Defender and the Mayflower and is only a few sheckles more than the Defender. It offers much better coverage but is certainly more time consuming to put on?

http://www.uscav.com/productinfo.aspx?productid=17205&tabid=2000&cm_sp=Clearance-_-SR_Product-_-17205

uwe1
05-20-11, 10:37
Cobra, if you're the same size as the individual in that video linked via this thread: http://m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=81166 , if will look ridiculously small on you and probably not give you enough coverage.

I spoke to the contact at US Palm before I ordered, and regarding the Defender, I believe they currently only come in large, but there are plans for medium and small.

Cobra66
06-02-11, 16:04
Cobra, if you're the same size as the individual in that video linked via this thread: http://m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=81166 , if will look ridiculously small on you and probably not give you enough coverage.

I spoke to the contact at US Palm before I ordered, and regarding the Defender, I believe they currently only come in large, but there are plans for medium and small.

How would you (or anyone else with experience with the armor), rate it as a plate carrier? Is it sturdy enough to handle a couple SAPI plates without shifting around a lot?

I'm still considering this as a second set of armor - if it can double as a good plate carrier, then that makes it all the better.

Phazuka
06-02-11, 16:59
How well would on of these conceal under a light jacket or heavy shirt?

Likewise, would the Mayflower be concealable at all? :confused:

I'm sure the molle defender would be concealable under a light or heavy jacket.

Phazuka
06-02-11, 17:11
How would you (or anyone else with experience with the armor), rate it as a plate carrier? Is it sturdy enough to handle a couple SAPI plates without shifting around a lot?

I'm still considering this as a second set of armor - if it can double as a good plate carrier, then that makes it all the better.

you'll want a good cumberbund system to keep the plates from throatpunching you and it'll bounce around pretty good without a cumberbund.

what i did was went with the Diamondback Tactical FAPC2 with the SGusa soft armor and if i want to upgrade to armor plates i can just attach the cumberbund which also accepts side armor plates.

IZinterrogator
06-02-11, 17:44

I wear one sometimes during rifle competitions (shoot on the move style competitions, not NRA High Power) with SAPI plates installed. It hasn't shifted on me yet, but I don't strap the kitchen sink to the MOLLE straps; I have a separate belt for mag pouches and whatnot when I compete. Seems like a solid piece of kit for what it is, an inexpensive insurance policy against a torso hit. Mine has the front and back panels installed with SAPI plates. Personally I think ESAPI plates might be a bridge too far due to the thickness, the SAPI plates are a tight fit as is.

Cobra66
06-02-11, 20:52
I wear one sometimes during rifle competitions (shoot on the move style competitions, not NRA High Power) with SAPI plates installed. It hasn't shifted on me yet, but I don't strap the kitchen sink to the MOLLE straps; I have a separate belt for mag pouches and whatnot when I compete. Seems like a solid piece of kit for what it is, an inexpensive insurance policy against a torso hit. Mine has the front and back panels installed with SAPI plates. Personally I think ESAPI plates might be a bridge too far due to the thickness, the SAPI plates are a tight fit as is.

Are using stand alone plates or will the vest fit both the plate and soft armor backing?

IZinterrogator
06-09-11, 14:47
I have SAPI plates and their soft armor inserts in there, front and back.

OneKYards
08-09-11, 12:53
I found some Level 3 and 4 here http://www.harristacticalonline.com/Armor-and-Plate-Carriers_c89.htm

Looking to get either a Pistol Defender for home defense or the Level IV ASP-C. I noticed the level 3 comes in XL as well. Any thoughts for home defense on either of these? Seems like too good of a deal to pass up on the Level IV.

Boy Scout
09-06-11, 09:57
For those that have the Defender, can you advise what the two velcro closures are on the rear panel? I see the bottom one, which appears to be the SAPI plate pocket flap, but the two above it are the items in question.

http://sgcusa.com/media/catalog/product/cache/1/image/9df78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/u/s/us_palm_defender_ar_black_b.jpg

The reason I ask is I am thinking of getting this for an active shooter PC to go over my uniform. I need a velcro patch on the back for a large SHERIFF patch.

Thanks in advance.

Serlo II
09-20-11, 08:37
that airsave level 4 looks like it would be good quick protection.
from what i saw the mayflower setup with soft armor was over $1000.

Cobra66
09-20-11, 11:25
that airsave level 4 looks like it would be good quick protection.
from what i saw the mayflower setup with soft armor was over $1000.

The general consensus is that due to the shape of the plates (designed for aircrew and not ground troops) the vest does not allow enough upper body mobility to be useful for shooting or other HD needs. You would be much better served with the mayflower setup or even a IIIa vest and a plate carrier over it.

Serlo II
09-20-11, 11:41
They have the ceramic plate type and the soft type. Which do you all think is best for home defense?

Cobra66
09-20-11, 12:04
They have the ceramic plate type and the soft type. Which do you all think is best for home defense?

Best all depends on what you think you will use the armor for. Are you wanting armor for bump in the night, plausible SHTF, or Mad Max SHTF?

In the end, I have decided to stay with my concealable IIIa vest and am still looking at a plate carrier as a way of augmenting it. The Palm Soft armor would be good for "bump in the night" or maybe as a second vest for family members or a plate carrier.

The Mayflower is the best option all around as it allows you to customize it to your needs. It is more expensive however and as has been mentioned, slower getting into for bump in the night situations.

Serlo II
09-20-11, 15:18
I think I'll pick up one of these defenders for home use and get somthing better when my budget expands.

Serlo II
09-20-11, 15:20
Have any of you been to BulletProofMe.com
This looks like a good deal at $360

http://www.bulletproofme.com/Bianchi-PROTECH_Vests.shtml

uwe1
09-21-11, 23:21
I got the BAE Eclipse Level IV ESAPI plates when SKD was running a special on them and stuck the plates, medium front and large rear, into the molle Defender. It makes for a very quick donning set up.

Sry0fcr
09-22-11, 07:49

Given the threat level here in the CONUS, I think the soft armor is the more practical choice.

Cobra66
09-23-11, 11:46
Have any of you been to BulletProofMe.com
This looks like a good deal at $360

http://www.bulletproofme.com/Bianchi-PROTECH_Vests.shtml

This is what I went with here. Bulletproofme.com was great to deal with and they make sure the vest fit well. The vest is in brand new condition as advertised and obviously from a reputable manufacturer.

The advantages of this vest are -

1) Provides better coverage.
2) Good conceal-ability.
3) Level IIIa for use as a plate backer or for some shooting courses.
4) Reasonable price.

Since it is not practical for me to wear a vest at work, I mostly see wearing this vest for either training, or in the event of an earthquake or other natural disaster (including Kalifornia not being able to fund EBT cards). The fact that it conceals means I can wear it about as needed an not draw attention to me as well as improve my survivability in the even I need to defend the homestead from looters.

The only thing I see the Palm offering over this vest is its ability to be donned quicker and its ability to have your gear already mounted. But the price you pay is greatly reduced coverage and if you go with one of the vests with the built in mag pouches and holsters, reduced conceal-ability. I would also be doubtful instructors would allow this vest to be used in a shoot house etc.

Where I see the Mayflower being the better option is the ability to custom tailor it to your needs and run either soft armor or hard armor as needed. Of course the buy in price is higher.