PDA

View Full Version : Bulged Barrel?

Dienekes
01-07-11, 23:21
Went to cleaning the barrel of my M4gery today after putting 40 rds. of Federal American Eagle through it with the CMMG unit. I noticed a very distinct "loose spot" about 1/2" long in the area of the FSB, both with the brush and more particularly with the patch when pulling it in both directions there. Last week I noticed that after a similar session the brush was a very hard push but attributed it to a new brush and didn't think much more of it. Tonight it's obvious something is wrong. :sad:

The last time I fired centerfire rounds was about a month ago, and nothing odd there. Once in a while the bulk Federal ammo gives a slightly funny report, and if it does I stop and make sure the barrel is clear.

Just wondering if a centerfire bullet jacket got lodged at some point, or if a .22 LR squib did get by me doing drills. The CMMG unit does get cranky at times and becomes a distraction clearing it.

I hate to think that I have a bulge, but the way the patch feels, it's doing a really good imitation of just that. Continued solvent and brushing is making no difference. Can't see anything definite looking through the bore but a .22 doesn't let you see much.

Any ideas that might let me make a better diagnosis here? I'd feel better if I knew for sure. It would definitely be a first in a lot of years shooting for me.

GermanSynergy
01-07-11, 23:34
Contact CMMG.

SpankMonkey
01-08-11, 00:40
How many rds thru the barrel? How are your groups?

Panzerfaust
01-08-11, 00:56
Please stop shooting it if you think you have a bulge...

P2000
01-08-11, 12:22
In the FSB area, there is a hole drilled in the barrel which feeds gas into the gas tube(gas port). Could this be what you are feeling?

MistWolf
01-08-11, 16:08
It could be your barrel is leading up. Most bore cleaners are made to remove copper fouling but do little to remove lead.

When checking the condition of your bore, be sure to use a BRIGHT light. My LED Lensor flashlight with fresh batteries is very bright and works better to reveal any pitting or flaws in the bore than anything else I've tried, short of a borescope

markm
01-08-11, 19:35
Probably CMMG defect. They aren't known for understanding a barrel blueprint. :rolleyes:

HiTechTactical
01-22-11, 13:30
I saw this happen on a barrel once that had a squib shot through it.

A bullet lodged in the barrel, and another round was shot out not knowing a projectile was lodged. The barrel then had a bulge where the other projectile had gotten stuck.

The barrel had to be replaced. This is common for beginners with reloading (not knowing what they are doing or knowing what to look for when something goes wrong) or when shooting cheap 22 ammo out of an AR barrel.