PDA

View Full Version : What is the Best Finish for an M&P 9mm?

hals1
01-08-11, 08:23
I finally got my hands on a S&W M&P. Fits my hand perfectly. I'm going to get one next week when they go on sale at AAFES.
My quesstion is, should I go stainless or not? Is there any real difference in durability or reliability?
What are good mags for the M&P 9mm?
This gun will be mostly field carry, plinking and home defense.

Thanks

ralph
01-08-11, 08:37
The M&P's ARE stainless..They have a black melenoite finish.. I would suggest staying with factory mags, they're not that expensive, and they work..

mpardun
01-08-11, 08:53
I NP3'd an M&P 45 a few years ago after having Dan Burwell do a trigger job and stipple job. The beauty about NP3 is that you can wipe the slide with a paper towel and run a single patch thru the barrel to clean it. They also coats internals, which improves lubrocity (a word?) andin theory mean you can run dry (although I do not).

If you want to mod the mags, I would highly recommend 10-8's Mag base pad (aluminum)...adding a little weight to help with drop free, markers to number your mags and an indent making stripping the mags easier:
http://www.10-8performance.com/M-P_Products_files/shapeimage_8.png
http://www.10-8performance.com/M-P_Products_files/shapeimage_12.png

M4arc
01-08-11, 09:05
Leave the stock finish on it and spend your time, money and effort on shooting it.

jonconsiglio
01-08-11, 09:38
The stock finish is fine. Now, one of mine that sees a lot of carry time and has many thousands of rounds, the finish is wearing off on the serrations, so I may get it refinished at some point.

I'd actually like to try Hard Hat ot IonBond if I do. One of my Nighthawks is Diamond Black (IonBond) and I really love the look and durability of it. The gun being as inexpensive as it is keeps me from spending all that money on a finish.

A buddy recently blasted then Cerakoted one in FDE, his first time Cerakoting anything, and it turned out pretty good.

NP3 is nice, but it's pretty slick (which can be a good thing, though I don't feel a gun like this will show any better reliability with a slick finish) and I'm not a fan of anything but black or FDE.

For your needs, I can't imagine you not getting by just fine with the factory finish. Enjoy it. If the finish should start to wear, that doesn't mean it still not protecting the metal underneath. Also, it's stainless. You may see some surface rust at times, but that wipes off easily and won't be an issue.

MarshallDodge
01-08-11, 10:27
Leave the stock finish on it and spend your time, money and effort on shooting it.
This.

Like others have stated, the finish is Melonite, very similar to Ionbond and Hardhat, right out of the box.

Beat Trash
01-08-11, 12:32

This...

Good magazines for the gun are the factory magazines. Clean it, oil it and shoot it.

arcticlightfighter
01-08-11, 19:08

Ill second this.My duty MnP 9mm FS has the factory finish.

I had won a Robar gift cert at the last 3 gun match I shot so I had my off duty MnP 9mm FS and 4 mags finished in their NP3. The finish is OK for cleaning but it scratches super easy and will react poorly to cold bluing (dont ask)

If I had to pay for it I would have been VERY disappointed.

The finish on my duty gun is worn from carry but doesnt rust. If you want a finish to look nice, dont use your gun or carry it.

My 2 cents

hals1
01-11-11, 18:04
Ordered my M&P yesterday. 9mm, long Pro Series, black. I should be able to pick it up Friday or Saturday.

mkmckinley
01-11-11, 21:35
I've been carrying mine for about six months and have around 3500 rounds through the pipe. When I clean it you have to look to tell it's not new. I don't think you're going to gain anything with an aftermarket finish. Melonite is probably about the best thing going and the sucker is stainless underneath that.

Tungsten
01-11-11, 22:09
I've had my M&P40 since shortly after they came out. Picked it up in early 2007. Since then I've carried it daily, run the shit out of it at several fighting pistol classes and cleaned it sparingly. The surface finish has worn off in quite a few places giving it a rather nice "patina" like any good workhorse should have.

My vote is to not **** around with needlessly refinishing it and just go shoot the thing.