PDA

View Full Version : Kimber Failure

ST911
08-22-07, 23:26
Kimber Polymer Gold Match, p/n unknown.

Scheduled ejection of round #7. Unscheduled ejection of the left side of the ambi-safety.

When found and examined, the left and right sides appear to mate with the left sleeving into the right. When replaced, there didn't appear to be a positive detent or retention otherwise.

No apparent fracture or other failure.

This gun was tight.

Have at it, 1911 gurus...

http://i76.photobucket.com/albums/j18/Skintop911/MISC/IMG_4449.jpg

Bushytale
08-23-07, 02:29
You will need to send that back to Kimber! The only way the thumb safety or left half of an ambi should be able to come out of the frame is in a position about 2/3 of the way between off safe going to safe with the hammer cocked of course. It looks like your slide stop/safety detents and spring assy may have flown the coop at the same time.

Billy

ST911
08-23-07, 10:19
You will need to send that back to Kimber! The only way the thumb safety or left half of an ambi should be able to come out of the frame is in a position about 2/3 of the way between off safe going to safe with the hammer cocked of course. It looks like your slide stop/safety detents and spring assy may have flown the coop at the same time. Billy

Fortunately, I'm the observer of the failure and not the owner. I stopped chasing my 1911 tail long ago, but I do endeavor to learn from events such as these.

SHIVAN
08-23-07, 15:07
Negative. From what I recall the Ten II's do not have a plunger tube assembly.

I do not recall, however, how the thumb safety is retained properly.

This really does look like it needs to go back to Kimber.