PDA

View Full Version : New shooter in Georgia

DiscipulusArmorum
01-08-11, 17:13
I just joined the forum after learning a lot through lurking for several months. There's so much knowledge here!

Less than a month ago, I bought my first centerfire rifle, a DDM4v3. I've taken it to the range twice and put 300 rounds through it. Unfortunately, I've only had access to a 25yd indoor range (Hi-Caliber in Holly Springs, GA), so I haven't been able to try longer distances. Even at this relatively short distance, though, I don't think my accuracy is very good. I can keep all my hits on a target printed on 8.5"x11" paper, but they're all over the paper. Every now and then I can get some tight groups, but never consistently.

I'm signed up for a carbine course in March that should help with technique, but I hope to be doing better between now and then. Is this to be expected when I have so little experience with the rifle?

Thanks in advance for the advice.

kartoffel
01-08-11, 19:29
Do you have any other rifle experience? Rimfires are cheap to shoot and the training is just as good. Not trying to sell you a gun or anything, but if you are so inclined rimfire is a great way to blow through 500 rounds for less than the cost of a tank of gas :)

Also, check for any Appleseed shoots in your area. Appleseed will hit you with the fundamentals like nothing else, and no matter what your skill level, you'll leave a better rifleman. http://www.appleseedinfo.org/

mike benedict
01-09-11, 07:20
give me a shout if you want to go to the range
I would be happy to help a new shooter

Mike