PDA

View Full Version : I didn't know glocks could look this good

Falz24
01-08-11, 17:58
My friend just got his g21 done by these guys. Wow.....

http://www.salientarmsinternational.com/#/new-faces/

He loves his but I haven't handled it yet. Anyone ever shot one of these??

ghettomedic
01-08-11, 18:33
No offense to your friend, but I'll pass.

Their stippling work looks good but there seems to be a "logical disconnect" in some of their models that brings too much of the competition aspect into the carry sector.

Muzzle break and porting on the "carry Glock" G26? Why do you need a break? To quell the awesome recoil of the 9mm cartridge? And what happens when you are in a low-light shooting situation and send up the fires of hell from your 2.5" of porting? Good luck finding that front sight for a follow-up shot.

Looks like good craftsmanship, but I wouldn't ask them to build me a gun from scratch.

Vash1023
01-08-11, 18:41
can you say, gun safe queen..

varoadking
01-08-11, 18:47
[
Wow.....

LOL...yeah, Wow...

Hammer27
01-08-11, 18:49
No offense to your friend, but I'll pass.

Their stippling work looks good but there seems to be a "logical disconnect" in some of their models that brings too much of the competition aspect into the carry sector.

Muzzle break and porting on the "carry Glock" G26? Why do you need a break? To quell the awesome recoil of the 9mm cartridge? And what happens when you are in a low-light shooting situation and send up the fires of hell from your 2.5" of porting? Good luck finding that front sight for a follow-up shot.

Looks like good craftsmanship, but I wouldn't ask them to build me a gun from scratch.

Agreed. I'd go for the stippling and the work on the trigger guard, cocking serrations maybe sights but that's it.

jonconsiglio
01-08-11, 19:02
Wonder how an M&P would look with that stippling? I'd like to see it up close. I don't like when stippling is too deep and looks like it will hold dirt, if that makes sense.

Theirs looks decent, though that's all I 'd have them do to any of my Glocks...

markm
01-08-11, 19:26
Cool for Hollywood movies perhaps. For practical use... not so much.

JChops
01-08-11, 19:32
Wonder how an M&P would look with that stippling? I'd like to see it up close. I don't like when stippling is too deep and looks like it will hold dirt, if that makes sense.

Theirs looks decent, though that's all I 'd have them do to any of my Glocks...

If you want M&P work done, just send your gun to Boresight Solutions and get it done right. Ben has a tremendous reputation, a very high quality standard and a much more functional, minimalist appeal than the ones you linked.

I am very happy with mine and I have a second pistol en route to Boresight very soon for more work.

kartoffel
01-08-11, 19:37
Cool for Hollywood movies perhaps. For practical use... not so much.

Come to think of it... have there been any movies that feature stippled firearms?

"MF Please. Look, my sh*t is custom." -- the guy in Resident Evil

glockkid88
01-08-11, 21:09
FOR THE BEST GLOCK WORK THERE IS ONLY ONE PLACE TO LOOK, BOWIE TACTICAL CONCEPTS!

Vendetta
01-10-11, 09:31
Looks like a great place to waste a lot of money that could be used for training. Doing that crap to a carry gun... posts above me already clarified that... you don't need it.

M4arc
01-10-11, 10:07
WTF? I guess if you want a race gun that's cool but if you want a gun to shoot and possibly defend your life with I think you're buddy is on the wrong track.

jmcrawf1
01-10-11, 10:29
No way would I do all that to a carry gun.

sammage
01-10-11, 10:33
Much overdone...like a Honda Civic with dual exhaust.

.45fmjoe
01-10-11, 11:44
Looks ridiculous.

aflin
01-10-11, 12:55
I wouldn't mind having one...looks sweet. But nonetheless, I wouldn't carry one for defense

okie john
01-10-11, 13:51
I agree with the other posters. The guns are mildly interesting for their cosmetics but flawed for serious work.

On a side note, I'm instantly suspicious when a Web site uses the term "world-class," and has that much animation and flashy stuff going on.

Okie John

Vlobb
01-10-11, 13:57
Most of their work looks conspicuous, pretentious and tawdry.

David Thomas
01-10-11, 14:37
I agree with the other posters. The guns are mildly interesting for their cosmetics but flawed for serious work.

On a side note, I'm instantly suspicious when a Web site uses the term "world-class," and has that much animation and flashy stuff going on.

Okie John

Prestige Worldwide...
"The Nina, the Pinta, the santa maria..."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o8T095mFdW8&feature=related

I agree, Okie John.

M4Guru
01-10-11, 15:01
One of the guys heading Salient has a very impressive background as a shooter...in the civilian world and the top Tier of military units.

I am not a fan of the millwork for duty use either, as I am all about not allowing more crap into the action. They go from mild to wild, and if you ask them to do something a little less Robocop they are perfectly able to do it. Their machinist obviously has some talent though.

I think there is a plateau in Glock work that a few people have reached, with none being much better than the others at the top of the custom Glock game. I would confidently say these guys at Salient are as good as any of the other top Glock polishers in terms of the quality they are capable of.

JonnyVain
01-10-11, 15:21
If I had loads of money I might do that. They look VERY nice. But the point of a Glock for me is to get the reliability and simplicity in an affordable package, so I don't think I would do that.

I do like seeing new designs so I can get new ideas for how to customize my own Glock. The only thing I worry about is how changing the grip height and angle will effect my trigger pull. Will it make it awkward and less accurate? Once you figure that out, it's too late.

ETA: Are those Ameriglo Pro Ops on the 23? I'm also curious about the sights on the 26...

M4Guru
01-10-11, 15:28
Yeah, I agree that the cost involved in making a Glock an STI kind of takes away from the beauty of a $400 gun that is almost invincible.

ilsrwy27
01-11-11, 01:58
I'm also curious about the sights on the 26...

So am I... anyone knows what they are?

As far as the guns go, I really like what they did on the G26 but that's just my personal taste. For a carry gun I would probably limit myself to the stippling and forget the ported barrel / machined slide but if someone gave me a gun like the one in the picture I would gladly take it and shoot the heck out of it at the range.

M4Guru
01-11-11, 02:28
MMC sights on the 26

JonnyVain
01-11-11, 10:12
MMC sights on the 26

Thanks. Got a link? Can't find any pics on google.

Skyyr
01-11-11, 10:41
"Looks good"? Those things are fugly. In my opinion, the stippling looks amateur and over-zealous at best. It's too deep and too... "predictable"/linear. I prefer stippling jobs similar to the texture on USPs that doesn't look like it was done dot-by-dot.

It looks like they even stippled the grips on some of their flagship 1911/2011's. There are a plethora of effective texturized grips available for the 1911 platform and if you have to resort to stippling as a standard option (instead of simply selecting an effective grip), you're doing something wrong.

BCmJUnKie
01-13-11, 10:44
Its no different than walking into a gun store and seeing an elaboratley engraved and gold plated and etched 1911 with scroll work inside of a velvet lined glass case...would anyone ever carry one of those? I dont think i would. But its cool to look at and enjoy. The guy never said he OR his friend was using it for any kind of carry/defense, He just likes the way it looks. I think some of us can appreciate the work. :cool:

redefined
01-13-11, 21:59
While their work does look quality, from the pictures, I think I'd pass on most of that work. Lots of it just looks like showy stuff not really functional. Just my thoughts. Hope your buddy likes it though!

kartoffel
01-13-11, 22:14
"Looks good"? Those things are fugly. In my opinion, the stippling looks amateur and over-zealous at best. It's too deep and too... "predictable"/linear. I prefer stippling jobs similar to the texture on USPs that doesn't look like it was done dot-by-dot.

Totally. It looks like they used a woodburner tool that had a big grid of points on it. A halfway-skilled person can make a much nicer patter using a single tip.

Also agreed on the 1911 grips. I'd take 20 or 30 LPI steel over pockmarked plastic any day.