PDA

View Full Version : Colt LE6920 Rail Compatibility

Logicalpath
01-08-11, 19:09
I currently own a S&W M&P15T that utilizes a Troy Rail but the rifle has pushed me to the boiling point. As a result I am considering purchasing the Colt LE6920 and am curious if I take the rail off my S&W M&P15T if it will fit on the Colt?

Assuming the answer is, "yes it will", what tools/process do I need to undertake to make the switch? I tried to take the rail off tonight and failed at actually removing it entirely. I was able to get it loose but it just seemed to free hang and not move anywhere.

Iraqgunz
01-08-11, 19:37
What is wrong with the S&W? What rail system does that particular S&W have? Is it the 10" version? Does your rifle have an FSB?

I currently own a S&W M&P15T that utilizes a Troy Rail but the rifle has pushed me to the boiling point. As a result I am considering purchasing the Colt LE6920 and am curious if I take the rail off my S&W M&P15T if it will fit on the Colt?

Assuming the answer is, "yes it will", what tools/process do I need to undertake to make the switch? I tried to take the rail off tonight and failed at actually removing it entirely. I was able to get it loose but it just seemed to free hang and not move anywhere.

Logicalpath
01-08-11, 19:57
What is wrong with the S&W? What rail system does that particular S&W have? Is it the 10" version? Does your rifle have an FSB?

Troy 4-Sided, 10" Free-Float Modular Rail Forend (MRF).

It has a flip top sight in the front and the back. Here is a picture of exactly what it looks like:

http://eastcoastgunsales.com/admin/_ImageUploads/Product%20Images/521.jpg

MookNW
01-08-11, 20:29
If there's something that the M&P won't do that the 6920 will. Perhaps it's something S&W can fix. They have some swell customer service from what hear, and may not even charge you.

Fire
01-08-11, 20:33
I currently own a S&W M&P15T that utilizes a Troy Rail but the rifle has pushed me to the boiling point.

What's wrong with the S&W M&P15T again?

Logicalpath
01-08-11, 20:38
It's given me some problems with ejecting rounds and I've been through the ringer with it. I'm just to a point where I'm ready to move on.

Stickman
01-08-11, 20:52
If you cut the FSB down on the Colt, the rail on the S&W will work. However, and I don't say this to be insulting, if you can't get the rail off the S&W, I would not recommend trying to do the work yourself.

ETA- Why not sell the S&W, and use the money to bring the 6920 into the condition you want?

Logicalpath
01-08-11, 21:07
If you cut the FSB down on the Colt, the rail on the S&W will work. However, and I don't say this to be insulting, if you can't get the rail off the S&W, I would not recommend trying to do the work yourself.

ETA- Why not sell the S&W, and use the money to bring the 6920 into the condition you want?

No insult taken, I'm a novice which is part of why I was considering the 6940 instead of the 6920. I figure getting the work done is going to carry a price tag.

I'm working on that actually(selling it) but honestly my frustration has gotten to the point that I'm prepared to do something rash. I've been trying to get into competitive shooting for a year now and if it's not one thing it's another getting in the way.

As I've now learned(a little late) Colt is the way to go.

Chameleox
01-08-11, 21:38
Owning both, my humble advice is to keep the Smith and Wesson for now. Its a good gun for the money, and trying to figure out the issues you're having with it will improve your gun maintenance and care skills, as opposed to just buying a new gun. Ejection issues aren't often a deal breaker for ARs, and can be fixable.

FWIW, the the rail that came with my M&P, and yours, if the photo is accurate, is a Troy MRF. Its a solid rail, but heavy. Lighter ones can be had, possibly for comparable money. If you're set on selling the gun, I wouldn't salvage the rail; rather, buy a new one.

Logicalpath
01-08-11, 21:49
Owning both, my humble advice is to keep the Smith and Wesson for now. Its a good gun for the money, and trying to figure out the issues you're having with it will improve your gun maintenance and care skills, as opposed to just buying a new gun. Ejection issues aren't often a deal breaker for ARs, and can be fixable.

FWIW, the the rail that came with my M&P, and yours, if the photo is accurate, is a Troy MRF. Its a solid rail, but heavy. Lighter ones can be had, possibly for comparable money. If you're set on selling the gun, I wouldn't salvage the rail; rather, buy a new one.

Thanks for the advice, you're not the only one that has suggested trying to fix it. And I recognize I'm operating more from an emotional standpoint, which is why am offering to sell it to the guys over at my local gun club. I figure one of them would have the patience to get it working and wouldn't be as jaded as I am at this point(although they're trying to convince me to keep it).

Monday I'll call S&W and see what they say but the rifle is out of warranty(they only have 1 year warranties on rifles). On Wed. I'm going to visit the local gun shop and I'm probably going to pick up a Colt 6920.

Speaking of warranties, does Colt have lifetime on their rifles?

Iraqgunz
01-08-11, 22:01
Contact S&W and tell them of your problems. I wouldn't be surpised if they fix it. But, remember they can't do anything if you don't tell them the issue.

Could you elaborate more about the issues you are having? Provide some backgound about the ammo you are using and how many rounds you have through the weapon.

Have you conisdered something simple like replacing the ejector spring? Or putting some oil on the ejector and working it a little?

Since you state you are a novice I would find someone that REALLY knows the platform and see about diagnosing the issue first.

Logicalpath
01-08-11, 22:48
Contact S&W and tell them of your problems. I wouldn't be surpised if they fix it. But, remember they can't do anything if you don't tell them the issue.

Could you elaborate more about the issues you are having? Provide some backgound about the ammo you are using and how many rounds you have through the weapon.

Have you conisdered something simple like replacing the ejector spring? Or putting some oil on the ejector and working it a little?

Since you state you are a novice I would find someone that REALLY knows the platform and see about diagnosing the issue first.

The problem originally was that the weapon would not expel the spent casing. Well about a year ago I sent it in to S&W and they said it was fixed. I took it to the range and everything was fine but what I didn't discover was that now the weapons charging handle gets jammed if I attempt to clear the weapon. Basically I can't expel the chambered round but I can shoot it.

The ammo I have been using is m193 and today I tried some Black Hills and I had more problems.

Iraqgunz
01-09-11, 00:11
So basically if you chamber a round and then attempt to extract the round manually, it will not extract? If that is the case I would think that the chamber is tight.

I assume that you are lubing the weapon properly? Not just a few drops but actually getting the BCG wet? If not, you should. As well as applying some lube to the top and sides of the charging handle.

I would still contact S&W and explain what the issue was in the past and that you are having more issues and they need to make it right. If that all fails then by all means I would sell the upper and get a BCM upper. They can be had for a good price right now.

The problem originally was that the weapon would not expel the spent casing. Well about a year ago I sent it in to S&W and they said it was fixed. I took it to the range and everything was fine but what I didn't discover was that now the weapons charging handle gets jammed if I attempt to clear the weapon. Basically I can't expel the chambered round but I can shoot it.

The ammo I have been using is m193 and today I tried some Black Hills and I had more problems.

Logicalpath
01-09-11, 09:27
So basically if you chamber a round and then attempt to extract the round manually, it will not extract? If that is the case I would think that the chamber is tight.

I assume that you are lubing the weapon properly? Not just a few drops but actually getting the BCG wet? If not, you should. As well as applying some lube to the top and sides of the charging handle.

I would still contact S&W and explain what the issue was in the past and that you are having more issues and they need to make it right. If that all fails then by all means I would sell the upper and get a BCM upper. They can be had for a good price right now.

Thanks for the advice, I'm going to try and get it fixed by S&W. We'll see how that convo goes tomorrow and I'll go from there.

Logicalpath
01-12-11, 17:03
Alright, so I spoke with S&W and they are going to "take a look" at the rifle. If they can re-create the malfunction at their range then they will fix the weapon. The rep said that more than likely they would swap out the barrel, I didn't understand what that had to do with round extraction. Either way I'm going to send it back tomorrow with a detailed letter explaining what the problem is.

In the meantime, I went ahead and purchased a LE6920 and I could not be happier. Once I get the S&W back then I'll either keep it as a spare rifle or I may sell it. I've had two different offers already so we'll see how things go at that point.

Thanks for the advice and information, it was helpful.

Logicalpath
01-12-11, 17:08
Now that I got that out of the way, I'd like to get back to the title of this thread. After opening the box for the LE6920 I fell in love with how comfortable the plastic handguards are. Going from the Troy rail on the MP15T(which was not very comfortable) to these I could not get over how comfortable the Colt is to shoot.

That said, I would like to get a handguard that allows for rail inserts but is still as comfortable as the stock handguard. The only one that I have been able to find that fit the description is the Magpul Handguard. Does anyone have any that they would suggest?

RogerinTPA
01-12-11, 21:06
Now that I got that out of the way, I'd like to get back to the title of this thread. After opening the box for the LE6920 I fell in love with how comfortable the plastic handguards are. Going from the Troy rail on the MP15T(which was not very comfortable) to these I could not get over how comfortable the Colt is to shoot.

That said, I would like to get a handguard that allows for rail inserts but is still as comfortable as the stock handguard. The only one that I have been able to find that fit the description is the Magpul Handguard. Does anyone have any that they would suggest?

It's the MOE hand guard. I like the modularity of the Daniel Defense 7.0 Lite Rail for my 6920s, but all you really need is FSB mount for a light and a VFG if you desire, with a bottom rail piece to use for the MOE. The DD AR15 Lite Rail12.0 FSP, is also a sweet set up, as you can mount a light in front of the FSB in the 12 O'Clock position. If you just want comfortable handguards similar to the original as the lease expensive option, the MOE is the ticket.