PDA

View Full Version : P89 FTF Problems? Other Issues

hals1
01-09-11, 15:14
Did a search but came up empty. Feel free to send me a link.
Got a P89 in about 1992? (10 round limit still in effect). Shot it a little bit and didn't like it but had no reliability issues (maybe 100 rounds). Gave it to my son for his 21st birthday in 2004. He hasn't shot it a lot, but says he hardly gets through a magazine without an FTF.
He says he's heard it's a common problem.
Is he right? Is it a common issue? If so, what is the cure? Don't say get a different gun; he can't afford to.
I haven't really watched him shoot it. Could it be he is just limp-wristing it?
By the way, are P89s from the ban era capable of taking hi-cap mags? If so, what is a reliable brand?
Already tried https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=58132 and it didn't address my issues.

ap1220
01-09-11, 15:23
15 round mags will work just fine in it. I would go with factory mags if you can find them.

You should probably clean the magazines and change out the springs in them.

Irish10
01-09-11, 15:47
+1 on the above advice and he may be limp wristing it but all you can do is ask or watch him. Overall, they are built like tanks and run great. Ruger also has good CS so if new mags or springs don't help, try calling them and see if there might have been a recall or if they have any advice.

hals1
01-09-11, 16:27
Thanks. I should have thought of mags. The most unreliable part of any semi-auto. He probably doesn't even know mags need cleaning once in a while. I'll get the gun from his and check it out. Probably never been properly cleaned.
Me, I'm just moving away from wheel guns after 30 years+. NO failure modes:cool:.

I'll try a good cleaning and, if that doesn't fix the problem, I'll be back.

blackgt85
01-09-11, 20:41
I have had 2 things cause my P89 to FTF. The first thing that caused it was using some ProMags. IMHO, ProMags suck! The second thing I noticed was ammo choice. For target shooting, I either use Winchester, Federal, or American Eagle with good results. For home defense, Winchester Rangers. I would suggest in buying some new 15 rd. Ruger OE mags......

http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/MAG443-36.html

Justin

HomelessRDP
01-09-11, 21:07
Have someone else shoot the gun, i have seen limp wrists cause problems in these before

ST911
01-09-11, 22:32
Rugers are not particularly sensitive to limp wristing, so it's not high on my list.

Magazines always are. Use OEM only. When in doubt, get a new one and check it out. Mic feed lips on the new known-good and compare to the old. Don't bother with aftermarket mags unless you're in a ban state and they're you're only option. If you own any, throw them out.

Test function with quality, domestically produced, SAAMI spec ammunition from a major manufacturer. Only when it works with those should you move into others. That being said, the P89 should be eating most loads.

Rugers should be run wet. Use a high quality lubricant like a Slip product, WS CLP, Testra, TW25, or a few others. Hoppes oil, RemOil, and about anything available at AnyMart need not apply.

Work through this and report results. I have some other ideas, but this will take care of the overwhelming majority of problems.

JonInWA
01-10-11, 07:58
The P89 was incrimentally improved during its production cycle. At a given point in production, from serial number 304-7000 and higher, the magazine was made slightly longer, so that it rose higher in the receiver (along with some other changes). These magazines are stainless steel, Ruger part number 90233. If the P89's serial number is 304-6999 or lower, the magazine used should be part number 90234; it's also physically distinguished in that it's a blued magazine tube. These are both normal capacity (15 round) magazines-comparable 10 rounder are also available from Ruger.

Usually either magazine will work in a given P89-but not always...so it's clearly best to go with the appropriate one dictated by the gun's serial number.

Ruger P89s are grossly overbuilt, according to a retired Ruger engineer who worked on the P85/P89 throughout its production. They are also made to MILSPEC standards, literally, so they should chamber and fire virtually any commercially made or issue 9mm cartridge-including Israeli submachine gun ammunition with some very tough primers, which I've tried.

The slide/receiver rails need to be lubricated with a grease, as the anodization of the aluminum receiver actually makes the bearing surfaces harder than the chromealloy slide-I prefer TW25B, my Ruger engineer friend prefers automotive lithium grease.

If your son has the correct magazines, and is lubed, and still has issues then I'd suggest sending the gun to Ruger; their customer service is quite good, and they'll thoroughly go through his gun. The problems he's encountering are anything but normal for a P89-the gun in it's slightly earlier incarnation successfully passed the XM10 JSSAP trials of the mid 1980s, and, if anything, the P89 is improved and more accurate/durable/reliable. I doubt that limp-wristing could cause the issues he's encountering, but it would help if you (or an experienced friend) could physically be with him when he's firing the gun, both to observe his technique, and to check and fire the gun as an objective cross-check.

Best, Jon

hals1
04-18-11, 17:28
Cleaned the gun and magazines and we went out and shot it last month. No problems with either of us firing. Maybe it was just gummed up. I don't think he had cleaned it ever. He has had it seven years.

JonInWA
04-18-11, 18:30
Great! They do need lube....If he didn't clean and lube it when he got it, perhaps thinking that the factory preservative was lube, that might have caused the problem, with it hardening/varnishing over time (and possibly from his previous use years ago).

The factory solution on these guns (which looks like a lube) really is a anti-rust preservative more than anything else.

I'm glad you got everything figured out. They're actually quite good, and underrated, guns.

Best, Jon