PDA

View Full Version : Looking to reconfigure one of my guns.

kwelz
01-09-11, 18:59
Alright guys. Here is the gun in question.

http://web.me.com/kwelz/Pictures/spr.jpg

As you can see it is a pretty nice build.
Spikes FDE upper and lower
Geissele Trigger
Noveske N4 Middy Barrel
BCM bolt carrier
EMOD stock
TRX Extreme rail
Troy Front and rear BUIS
Trijcon TR24.

The gun shoots great. but it was mean to be a fast slick gun. It is way to heavy as currently configured. I am looking for ideas on what I can do with it. I don't really do any ranged shooting. Everything I do is within 150 meters. I have come to prefer the 14.5 inch setup but this is just way to slick of a gun to even think about getting rid of.

ETA:

I was thinking an IMOD and possibly a smaller ACOG. But not sure how much weight I would save there.

Belmont31R
01-09-11, 19:01
Stock and optic can be changed to much more lightweight options.

Other than that there isn't really anything I see.

mvician
01-09-11, 19:38
Stock and optic can be changed to much more lightweight options.

Other than that there isn't really anything I see.

This.........a CTR and an AimPoint micro would lighten the load

seb5
01-09-11, 19:49
That optic is heavy......FWIW I have a similar build but with DD 14.5 middie pencil barrel, T-1, battlecomp, and CTR. With a scout light and mount it's the lightest AR I own.

strambo
01-09-11, 20:50
Less expensive option would be MOE stock and Aimpoint H1 in a DD mount. Maybe ditch the VFG and rail section also.

An IMOD and ACOG would make an incremental improvement, but not worth the expense IMO.

OutlawDon
01-09-11, 22:11
CTR stock...pretty light

Shorter VFG or AFG...anything helps

And obviously, a simple red dot...but I do like a 1-4x optic though personally.

Possibly a lightweight 14.5" barrel

Otherwise, that's pretty much it.

NongShim
01-09-11, 22:44
No need for that long section of rail for just a sling mount. Get the VTAC mount that can go on the top rail and has a single QD socket on the side.

VLODPG
01-09-11, 22:59
Loose the rail & go with a PRI tube & if that isn't enough maybe a DD lightweight barrel.

Jay Cunningham
01-09-11, 23:05
Lose the VFG, switch to an iMod, ditch the BUIS, switch to 20 round magazines.

:moil:

edited to add: You didn't really state the purpose of the rifle, only some vague requirements:

mean [sic] to be a fast slick gun
It is way to heavy as currently configured.
I don't really do any ranged shooting. Everything I do is within 150 meters.

Your "mission" should drive your gear train - what is the intended purpose of the rifle, i.e. what "mission" does it fulfill?

K9222
01-10-11, 01:34
That Noveske barrel and optic combo is what is weighing you down. After looking over what you got your options are limited, you really on have 3 options I can see.

Option 1: Pencil barrel from DD/ or LW from BCM
CTR Stock
TA33 Acog (If you want to stay with a 1-3/1-4 optic)

Option 2: Keep Noveske Barrel
CTR Stock
Aimpoint H1 or T1

Option 3 (Really Light): DD Pencil Barrel
CTR
Aimpoint T1/T1

Keep 20 round mags in it and that should do. I mean IMHO I would just keep a red dot on it if you say most of your shooting is 150 and in. BTW, REALLY diggin the FDE, I WANT ONE BAD!

Brahmzy
01-10-11, 05:35
The only viable solution to you problem would be to ship me your optic & mount immediately. I'm about to buy an LT-104 & TR24G for my Noveske 14.5 middy, ha!
I wish LaRue's mount wasn't so damn heavy - 6.4oz!! Approaching a half pound!

GermanSynergy
01-10-11, 06:40
Here's what I would do to lighten the load a bit:

86 the VFG

Aimpoint T-1 Micro

SOPMOD/I-MOD stock(s)

Keep the BUIS if you plan on running an RDS.

kwelz
01-10-11, 07:18
Thanks for all the advice guys. I am still going over all my options. Including the Man up and deal with a heavier gun option. :haha:

edited to add: You didn't really state the purpose of the rifle, only some vague requirements:

This gun really doesn't have a purpose. I have an SBR and 14.5 for training and am looking at a bolt gun for longer ranged work if I ever need it. I picked up the upper and lower in a trade, took them to Superior Firearms, and told Joe to build me something good.

This is what he came up with. I later added the optic, which honestly is where the weight problem comes from. I have used it for Coyotes a time or two but that is about all. Originally I think it was going to be a training/Do everything gun but I found my preference in that regards leaning towards shorter weapons. Without the optic and VFG it really is a light and fast gun.

Thanks again everyone.

RogerinTPA
01-10-11, 09:58
Looks like a good all purpose "recce" style carbine. I have one set up similar to your configuration, but it is a far cry from what I would consider a "slick" set up, unless your definition of slick = cool. There's been good advice given so it's up to you to define your carbine's purpose and what it's intended use is. If you have the means, I'd lighten it up, but keep it, then buy or build a light weight.

kwelz
01-10-11, 10:07
Looks like a good all purpose "recce" style carbine. I have one set up similar to your configuration, but it is a far cry from what I would consider a "slick" set up, unless your definition of slick = cool. There's been good advice given so it's up to you to define your carbine's purpose and what it's intended use is. If you have the means, I'd lighten it up, but keep it, then buy or build a light weight.

Yes that is kind of what it turned into. Far from my original ideas.

Honestly the more I think about it them more I feel I should just leave well enough alone. My OCD is getting the best of me. At most I will lighten the optic and stock. Maybe a Mini ACOG and IMOD stock. that will shave a couple pounds easily off the rifle.

Oh and I already ditched the VFG and front rail section. Never really used it anyway on this gun.

decodeddiesel
01-10-11, 10:13

With that avatar you have to question the meaning of slick?

"Hey Slick, see that s*** coming out of their ears? They can't f****** hear you, now cool it!" I joke.

Back on topic. You say everything you use this gun for is 150m and less. If that is the case then honestly I don't see why any other optic other than a red dot is being considered. I think between switching to an MOE or CTR stock, ditching the VFG, changing to an Aimpoint Micro that gun will drop a lot of weight. You could always pick up a 3x magnifier in a twist off mount for longer range shots.

ra2bach
01-10-11, 10:31
personally, I think it's fantastic as is. the optic defines the application of this rifle and the weight is an unavoidable by-product of that.

changing to a RDS will reduce weight but that changes the intent and purpose of the rifle altogether and the quality of the Noveske barrel would be wasted, IMO...

you could add a magnifier on a QD mount as needed, but that brings the weight back up. although it could also be removed when not needed and that would make it a lot more versatile.

the Emod is heavy. you don't have a light attached and the TR24 doesn't use batteries so in it's current configuration, the Emod is not needed for battery storage. you could change to something lighter but I like the Emod for it's cheekweld and I don't mind the weight at the rear of the gun as it balances well.

it's completely up to you but in it's current configuration, I think it's almost perfect...

RogerinTPA
01-10-11, 10:45
With that avatar you have to question the meaning of slick?

"Hey Slick, see that s*** coming out of their ears? They can't f****** hear you, now cool it!" I joke.

Back on topic. You say everything you use this gun for is 150m and less. If that is the case then honestly I don't see why any other optic other than a red dot is being considered. I think between switching to an MOE or CTR stock, ditching the VFG, changing to an Aimpoint Micro that gun will drop a lot of weight. You could always pick up a 3x magnifier in a twist off mount for longer range shots.

Arguably one of the best shoot out scenes ever.:cool:

RGoose
01-10-11, 13:57
Like everyone else is saying, I'd ditch the optic in favor of something lighter, like an Aimpoint T-1/H-1 or a compact ACOG. I handled a TA44-5 in a LaRue mount this weekend. It weighed in at under 8oz. As far as the stock is concerned, lose the optic and VFG and see how it handles. The extra weight of the EMOD stock might help to balance out the "heavier" profile of the Noveske barrel.

kwelz
01-10-11, 14:01
Like everyone else is saying, I'd ditch the optic in favor of something lighter, like an Aimpoint T-1/H-1 or a compact ACOG. I handled a TA44-5 in a LaRue mount this weekend. It weighed in at under 8oz. As far as the stock is concerned, lose the optic and VFG and see how it handles. The extra weight of the EMOD stock might help to balance out the "heavier" profile of the Noveske barrel.

I am using a Micro ACOG on another gun. Believe me you don't have to convince me on how nice they are. Same wights as a Micro Aimpoint and with 1.5X Mag and no batteries.