PDA

View Full Version : Handguard installation

nerul317
01-09-11, 23:04
How difficult is it to install a free float handguard? Is it something that someone can undertake themselves without a gun smith if they have the proper tools?

Surf
01-09-11, 23:18
With the right tools much is possible. Various free floats also differ in how they are attached and the tools needed. Some requiring less than others. If you give a specific rail, a more specific answer on your needs can be given.

nerul317
01-09-11, 23:22
My fault. Its a JP Viking Tactics free float.

Surf
01-09-11, 23:39
Is this a new build or is this a retrofit onto an existing rifle? What type of rifle do you have?

nerul317
01-09-11, 23:43
Colt LE6920 Brand new rifle. I've already taken this to 2 different gunsmiths, both of whom told me the barrel nut was too tight and they couldn't get it off. Neither one of them tried freezing the barrel due to lack of facilities. So I figured I'd kroil it and try freezing it and doing the job myself.

Surf
01-09-11, 23:56
You will have to replace the barrel nut with the JP supplied nut so you can't just cut off the delta ring and spring. Flash hider needs to be removed and you need to punch out the taper pins (in the proper direction) and remove the FSB. Gas tube is your choice if you take it out or not. I tend to use a large pipe as a breaker bar slipped over my barrel nut wrench for the pesky barrel nuts. Usually works on the most stubborn barrel nuts but sometimes more coaxing is needed. I am quite surprised that a gunsmith is saying they can't do the job.

The JP rail is a 3 piece and installation isn't much of an issue if you can get everything apart by yourself. If you go with anything other than carbine length you have other considerations to think about.

You might want to dig around here for info that might help you
AR/M4/M16 build info (http://www.youtube.com/user/ssdsurf?feature=mhum)

Kuiper
01-10-11, 10:34
How easy or difficult this job is going to be depends on two things.

- the right tools
- some mechanical aptitude

Tools needed

Barrel wrench
Torque wrench
taper pin punch
roll pin punch set
red, green en blue loctite

a receiver block en bench vice are also needed

The user manual leaflet that comes with JP/Vtac set is pretty straight forward

I bought these tools, figured I might do another job sometime down the road. If you expect this will a one time job you might want to find another shooter or gunsmith in your vicinity that's up to the job.

Apart from loctite curing times the whole installation doesn't take more than an hour or so. Please do keep in mind to let the red loctite on the tube sleeve cure first....

Did this job a couple of times recently, if you need help just holler...