PDA

View Full Version : Aimpoint Micro R-1, does it really turn off?

readyman
01-09-11, 23:56
Got one of the closeout R-1's that isn't supposed to have NV settings. But I was playing with my NV 'set-up' and settings 1 and 2 look like they'll work pretty good with my NV.
But after turning the R-1 to '0' there is still a dim illuminated dot in the NV, is it possible the LED never really turns off completely?
The '0' setting dot is good for the darker NV environments.

Alaskapopo
01-10-11, 00:08
Got one of the closeout R-1's that isn't supposed to have NV settings. But I was playing with my NV 'set-up' and settings 1 and 2 look like they'll work pretty good with my NV.
But after turning the R-1 to '0' there is still a dim illuminated dot in the NV, is it possible the LED never really turns off completely?
The '0' setting dot is good for the darker NV environments.

No it never does turn off unless the battery is removed.
Pat

MookNW
01-10-11, 00:37
You're saying the R-1 will work with NV, but only on settings 1&2, then it gets too bright? I didn't think the H/R-1 was supposed to be compatible with NV.
I don't own any NV, but it'd be nice to know that I could use it (to a certain extent) if I wanted to.

five13
01-11-11, 15:16
I'm no expert on this subject, but my understanding is that the lower settings are still too bright to be used with night vision devices. What will ultimately happen is black dots will be burned into your very expensive NV device.

Robb Jensen
01-11-11, 15:20
The H1 and R1 Micros don't have the protective NV coatings that the T1 has. The actual 'brightness' levels are the same.

mcmillanman5
01-11-11, 18:40
What exactly is a protective night vision coating?

Robb Jensen
01-11-11, 18:53
What exactly is a protective night vision coating?

It's a coating put on the lenses of the Aimpoint (at Aimpoints factory) which protect the NV devices if used behind the Aimpoint. It blocks a certain spectrum of light that would harm the NV device.

Alaskapopo
01-11-11, 19:16
It's a coating put on the lenses of the Aimpoint (at Aimpoints factory) which protect the NV devices if used behind the Aimpoint. It blocks a certain spectrum of light that would harm the NV device.

Is that coating what also makes the T1 more water resistant?
Pat

Robb Jensen
01-11-11, 21:57
Is that coating what also makes the T1 more water resistant?
Pat

No. It's warranted to the deeper water depth. IIRC the H1/R1 and T1 are made in the same place under the same environment.

stifled
01-11-11, 23:07

I picked up a different impression along the way but can't remember where now...

Good to know!

readyman
01-12-11, 12:19
Could be a problem - with the Aimpoint LED output at 850nm, being so close to the optimal sensitivity frequency of the Gen3 NV at 880nm.

htxred
01-12-11, 12:30
could the r-1 be mounted on a ar15 and work just the same as a h-1/t-1?

readyman
01-12-11, 13:12
could the r-1 be mounted on a ar15 and work just the same as a h-1/t-1?

yup, just missing the NV LED dot low settings and super secret lense coating, not important if you're not interested in NV useage.
The light settings may be the same on all of them, the coating may allow for more low level NV settings tho.