PDA

View Full Version : Charging Handle Stuck

375ranger
01-10-11, 01:41
Hey there. First posting, wish it was on a happier note. Today, while finishing up on a coyote hunt, I went to drop the magazine and pull back on the charging handle to extract the live round in the chamber, and the CH won't budge. Um, stupid noob question, but do I mortar it, I think I followed the CH when first loading it. Any help would be appreciated.

Iraqgunz
01-10-11, 01:49
Would you please tell us the following?

1. What make is the AR?

2. How much lube does it have?

3. What type of ammo?

Hey there. First posting, wish it was on a happier note. Today, while finishing up on a coyote hunt, I went to drop the magazine and pull back on the charging handle to extract the live round in the chamber, and the CH won't budge. Um, stupid noob question, but do I mortar it, I think I followed the CH when first loading it. Any help would be appreciated.

Kuiper
01-10-11, 02:29
Since the charging handle has no direct interference with the action of the weapon after it is loaded, I suspect your problem is faulty ammo.

Are these handloads?(brass not sized correctly or too long, i.e. not trimmed to spec).

Is the bolt fully into battery?

Normally when you work the CH, do you feel friction between the CH and the upper receiver?

Are you still able to separate the upper en lower receiver? If so you can work safely on the upper, if not at least put the weapon on safe (I know this sounds like a no-brainer...)

Let us know,

Good luck

Bas

Iraqgunz
01-10-11, 02:47
Welkom!

Since the charging handle has no direct interference with the action of the weapon after it is loaded, I suspect your problem is faulty ammo.

Are these handloads?(brass not sized correctly or too long, i.e. not trimmed to spec).

Is the bolt fully into battery?

Normally when you work the CH, do you feel friction between the CH and the upper receiver?

Are you still able to separate the upper en lower receiver? If so you can work safely on the upper, if not at least put the weapon on safe (I know this sounds like a no-brainer...)

Let us know,

Good luck

Bas

cmoore
01-10-11, 04:14
Place it on "safe" if you can. "Mortar" it in a safe direction. You won't hurt the rifle and it's field expedient should it happen again...

GermanSynergy
01-10-11, 06:29
In additon to what CMOORE said:

If you're gonna mortar it, make sure the stock is collapsed fully (if applicable).

Good luck.

375ranger
01-10-11, 11:03
Would you please tell us the following?

1. What make is the AR?

2. How much lube does it have?

3. What type of ammo?

My AR is a DDM4 SPR, 18" bbl, as far as lube, I use the Mil-Comm TW25 because it's only 22 degrees out when I was hunting, and this is supposed to be really good in adverse conditions. As far as ammo goes, yes, I'm using reloaded ammo w/Lake City brass and Sierra Varminter bullets. Never had a problem before [500-700] rounds, but have had a couple of failure to fires. I just replaced the firing unit with a Wilson Combat TTU last week, but have put 30 rounds thru it w/no problems, until now.

Kuiper
01-10-11, 11:52
Think this is a flake round in your reloads. Do you have a case gauge?

Drop your remaining rounds of that particular batch trough it, usually if there's one there's more.

Do you have the round of the chamber? Drop it in to the chamber, see if it falls free if your turn the upper over.

Attack this problem by deducting causes....what could go wrong.

Live round in chamber
Will not extract on operating the CH

Clear the weapon of the live round, do not discard it yet.

CH, will it move freely trough the upper without binding
Boltcarrier, will it move freely trought upper without binding without the CH inside
CH and BC will they move freely etc etc

Finally, drop the extracted round if not damaged to severely in the chamber. Do not attempt to lock it with a falling bolt and carrier.
Did the round chamber like it should?
Turn the upper over, does the round fall free.

Final check, pull the bullet. Measure the case.

Sounds like a pain? I've found out the hard way how incapacitating failing ammo and as a result a failing weapon can be.... Thank God not on a two way range...

375ranger
01-10-11, 12:55
Ok, I just separated the top/bottom and used a screwdriver to pry the BCG out. This ejected the live round w/no harm to either the gun or round. I checked the tolerances w/ammo and dropped a round into the chamber for fit. Everything was up to spec, bullet drops free with no hangups. The BCG was very tight feeling, probably due to me hunting in very cold weather and lack of lube [it looked dry]. Looks like a fieldstrip/cleaning/lube is in order. Glad I did'nt have to try the slam method. Thank you for all your help, it was much appreciated.

Iraqgunz
01-10-11, 14:20
I would use something like Weaponshield or Slip2000. I highly recommend them. Also, for the record cleaning the AR is highly over rated. If you lube it generously (i.e wet like your prom date) then the weapon will continue to run. My 11.5" SBR has well over 3500 rounds through it and I have done little more than a wipe down and lube to it. It has functioned in temps from 110+ to our current 50 degrees or so.

Ok, I just separated the top/bottom and used a screwdriver to pry the BCG out. This ejected the live round w/no harm to either the gun or round. I checked the tolerances w/ammo and dropped a round into the chamber for fit. Everything was up to spec, bullet drops free with no hangups. The BCG was very tight feeling, probably due to me hunting in very cold weather and lack of lube [it looked dry]. Looks like a fieldstrip/cleaning/lube is in order. Glad I did'nt have to try the slam method. Thank you for all your help, it was much appreciated.