PDA

View Full Version : Democrat carries gun while in home district

SHIVAN
01-10-11, 09:53
http://www.wlos.com/shared/newsroom/top_stories/videos/wlos_vid_3643.shtml

Local Congressman Heath Shuler and some other members of the House of Representatives say they will carry concealed weapons for protection in their home districts...

...more at link...

Icculus
01-10-11, 09:56
He's the rep in my home district. How I vote is my own business but I will say he received an "A" NRA rating and doesn't appear to come across as one of the gun-grabbing super liberal dems.

M4arc
01-10-11, 09:58
Sounds good to me. The more people that carry the better. However, if this guy lived in a state like MD, NY, NJ or CA that did not allow concealed carry for it's citizens I'd have a real problem with it.

SHIVAN
01-10-11, 10:11
I'm Ok with just about anyone protecting themselves. I'm glad he got an "A" rating from the NRA, which means he probably hasn't voted explicitly for gun control measures.

The article did mention others but did not name them. I suspect some are people who have voted for gun control and don't want to be shown as hypocrites.

GermanSynergy
01-10-11, 10:20
It would certainly be interesting if the biggest proponents of gun control measure were seen to be packin' heat.

Ok for them, not for the "little people", I suppose.

Cagemonkey
01-10-11, 10:28
Besides the tragedy that occurred on Saturday, you'd think after Sept 11th, the War on Terror, and the Fort Hood shooting, that Politicians would have gotten the hint earlier. Makes you wonder if they really get it.

Business_Casual
01-10-11, 10:43
Mir Amal Kasi is the Number one reason I carry.

B_C

usmcvet
01-10-11, 10:54
I'd love to see a trainer in AZ offer Joe Zamudio a class. He did a good job, he is a Sheep Dog who ran towards the sound of the gunfire the other day during the shooting in AZ.

I want to offer my thoughts and prayers to the victims and their familes, especially little nine year old Christiana Green.

Littlelebowski
01-10-11, 11:36
Mir Amal Kasi is the Number one reason I carry.

B_C

I was at a kabob place in NoVA and was having a civil but frank discussion with my Muslim host about women's rights in Islamic countries. 2 Muslims started swearing at me and stormed off.

In other words, agreed 100%.

dookie1481
01-10-11, 13:02
I don't know if I would trust a guy who only completed 49.2% of his passes to hit what he's aiming at :P

Crow Hunter
01-10-11, 20:54
It would certainly be interesting if the biggest proponents of gun control measure were seen to be packin' heat.

Ok for them, not for the "little people", I suppose.

I think I remember reading somewhere that Diane Feinstein has one of the only CCW licenses issued in the city of San Francisco....

And I think Sarah Brady did a "straw purchase" and bought a relative a 30-06 rifle for Christmas, while wanting to make it a felony to transfer a firearm without a federal background check...

usmcvet
01-10-11, 20:58
I think I remember reading somewhere that Diane Feinstein has one of the only CCW licenses issued in the city of San Francisco....

And I think Sarah Brady did a "straw purchase" and bought a relative a 30-06 rifle for Christmas, while wanting to make it a felony to transfer a firearm without a federal background check...

She bought the Gun for her son if I remember right. I thought that was allowed.

MTechnik
01-10-11, 21:01

Yes straw purchases are when you are buying a gun for someone you think cannot get one legally. If you just want to buy a gift, you can. And depending on your state laws, you can give it directly - most allow parent-child transfers freely. Now if I were to buy my buddy a nice .44 mag revolver, as a gift for having his 4th son, I'd buy it, then transfer it at the gun store to my friend (to be PA compliant.)

usmcvet
01-10-11, 21:17
Yes straw purchases are when you are buying a gun for someone you think cannot get one legally. If you just want to buy a gift, you can. And depending on your state laws, you can give it directly - most allow parent-child transfers freely. Now if I were to buy my buddy a nice .44 mag revolver, as a gift for having his 4th son, I'd buy it, then transfer it at the gun store to my friend (to be PA compliant.)

Thanks. I've only bought guns for myself, my wife and my kids. What di you get for the third kid? A 308?

Crow Hunter
01-10-11, 21:20

It is.

That is why I put it in quotes. She doesn't believe that you or I have the right to own a gun much less buy one and give it to someone else as a gift or sell it to them without doing a transfer through a FFL but it is perfectly okay for her to do it.

usmcvet
01-10-11, 21:23
The shop owner should have refused to sell to her.

tusk212
01-10-11, 21:48
Stopped in my local shop on Saturday and my rep was in there purchasing a little .380 to carry.

David Thomas
01-10-11, 21:50
he received a death threat a couple of years ago, and started carrying concealed then. He also urges his aids and staff to carry concealed.

he seems like a very level headed blue dog democrat.

usmcvet
01-10-11, 21:50
Stopped in my local shop on Saturday and my rep was in there purchasing a little .380 to carry.

Good. More people need to shoot back.

DacoRoman
01-10-11, 22:13
I was at a kabob place in NoVA and was having a civil but frank discussion with my Muslim host about women's rights in Islamic countries. 2 Muslims started swearing at me and stormed off.

Hopefully they'll storm off right back to their shit hole country of origin and rejoin the stone age...sorry couldn't resist :o

trio
01-10-11, 23:53
I hope he is a better politician than he was a quarterback...

Truthfully Shuler should be denied a CHP....the skill set required to hit a wide receiver correlates pretty accurately to hhe skills needed to hit a target with a firearm (hand-eye coordination, spatial judgment, etc)....given that if Shuler ever has to use his firearm a lot of innocent people will get hurt while his target will remain uninjured

variablebinary
01-11-11, 02:43
Let him carry a gun. It's his right.

Spiffums
01-11-11, 08:30
Woot way to go Heath. I knew some East Tenn rubbed off on him. :haha:

The_War_Wagon
01-11-11, 22:36
I hope he is a better politician than he was a quarterback...

Truthfully Shuler should be denied a CHP....the skill set required to hit a wide receiver correlates pretty accurately to hhe skills needed to hit a target with a firearm (hand-eye coordination, spatial judgment, etc)....given that if Shuler ever has to use his firearm a lot of innocent people will get hurt while his target will remain uninjured

For the win!

His MAIN claim to fame was... he won 4 state titles at a podunk hi skrool in his district. Chuck Taylor was a much BETTER Representative from that district BEFORE him.