PDA

View Full Version : 2X Aimpoints?

Shihan
08-23-07, 19:20
What do you guys think of them?

M4Guru
08-23-07, 19:35
Kind of worthless now that the magnifier is out. They work as advertised, and are typical Aimpoint quality. I think there are better options for magnified optics, though, like the ACOGs, or the Aimpoint with the magnifier.

Shihan
08-23-07, 19:46
Would you buy a brand new one for 199.00?

olds442tyguy
08-23-07, 19:56
I started a thread about them awhile back.

I was informed that the only reason the 2X Aimpoints exist is so that Aimpoint can pawn off the units that failed the water submersion testing. That's why they glued the 2X piece on rather than use a proper method of attachment.

$200 new? I'd buy it just so I could make a quick buck selling it for more than I paid, but less than what they cost new.

M4Guru
08-23-07, 20:04
$200? Yeah, it would be good to slap on a nice 10/22 or something. Like i said, it's still a really good scope, just serves little purpose IMO.

Sam
08-23-07, 20:18
Midway is having a sale on those 2x Aimpoint for $200. :)

Shihan
08-23-07, 20:32
I guess I wii stop looking at the cheap price on them. They are quite abit under what dealer was on them bdefore they got discontinued. Maybr=e I should get one for one if the AK's.

FJB
08-24-07, 21:00
I was informed that the only reason the 2X Aimpoints exist is so that Aimpoint can pawn off the units that failed the water submersion testing. That's why they glued the 2X piece on rather than use a proper method of attachment.

olds,
Where did you get that erroneous piece of information?

The CompML2 2X is pressure tested to the depth of 80ft (25M) just like a standard M/ML-2. Aimpoint tests all of their optics in a pressure chamber. If any of them fail the pressure test they are discarded, every thing tube, glass, componets etc. They are not used to manufacture a different optic. As all Aimpoint sights are meticulously hand assembled with high QC/QA, very few ever fail the pressure chamber definitely not enough to produce CompML2s, in the manner you mention, in the large numbers we sell world wide.

S/F

Jay Cunningham
08-24-07, 21:09
olds,

The CompML2 2X is pressure tested to the depth of 80ft (25M) just like a standard M/ML-2. Aimpoint tests all of their optics in a pressure chamber. If any of them fail the pressure test they are discarded, every thing tube, glass, componets etc. They are not used to manufacture a different optic. As all Aimpoint sights are meticulously hand assembled with high QC/QA, very few ever fail the pressure chamber definitely not enough to produce CompML2s, in the manner you mention, in the large numbers we sell world wide.

S/F

Thank you for the real deal information

C4IGrant
08-25-07, 10:59
The 2X Aimpoints are my least favorite Aimpoints and do not stock them. So my suggestion would be to buy a standard Aimpoint and then add the 3X magnifier.

C4

olds442tyguy
08-25-07, 14:31
olds,

S/F
My apologies. Looks like what I read was incorrect then.

AR-15A3
08-25-07, 14:55
The 2X Aimpoints are fine for target, plinking or hunting but in my own opinion not ideal for combat and self defense.

Somebody at another site told me that he would add a QD mount and just remove it quickly so he could use his BUIS, and I said that that would be slow, it's much faster to flip a 3X Aimpoint magnifier on a LaRue magnifier mount with standard 1X Aimpoints.

FJB
08-27-07, 14:47
Olds,
No worries there is alot of misinformation on the "errornet."

Et al,
The ML2 2X is pretty much a love it or hate it. However, in some situations it fills a nich. One thing that you can do is combine the ML2 2X with a 3X Magnifier to get a 6X optic.

An USCG LE Team is using the ML2 2X on an 18" barreled .50BMG bolt rifle in certain mission profiles (for Opsec I will leave it at that). This works for them as their range is generally within 100 yards. I am just glad I am not the one shooting the short barreled .50BMG rifle with no muzzle compensator from an unsupported seated position. I am not afraid of recoil, but I wouldn't want to miss cause the thought of follow up shots isn't pleasant.

S/F