PDA

View Full Version : Interview w/ Force Recon Silver Star awardee

Littlelebowski
01-10-11, 11:39
Posting link to other forum here (with mod's approval) because I only obtained his permission to post it in whole to very specific places. Feel free to discuss here or there.

Interview (http://www.firearmstrainingandtactics.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1106&p=14812)

mvelimir
01-10-11, 13:34
In particular I could relate and agree with following parts of the interview:

Q: What are your lessons learned from combat operations both for the individual and unit?

A: As a unit, sometimes higher tries to drive you into doing it their way when they have no idea what it looks like outside of the soda mess. I used to argue, now I say “roger that” then do it the right way when I hit the ground.

Q: What is the biggest falsehood that you were taught in training that proved itself false in combat?

A: When I first started doing CQB, we were taught to fight from the hallways, which are the tactics that LA Sheriffs and SWAT used. In combat, we figured out that standing in a hallway doesn't protect you from the guy who sticks his AK around the corner and sprays. So we changed our tactics to fighting from rooms.

Q: 9mm and 5.56mm. Adequate?

A: 5.56 is sufficient, but I would prefer the 6.8 or a 7.62. I will say that the 5.56 has always done for me what I asked it too, it would just be nice to have that little “extra” when the round makes contact. 9mm to me is a joke. I'm a 45 guy all the way. (In my time it was 7.62x25 that'll do the job ;)

And finally this one that I've been preaching for almost two decades:

Q: What is paramount for a combat unit's weapons. Accuracy or reliability? Define both according to your own standards.

A: You will never hit your target if your gun doesn’t shoot and with the proper training you can learn and overcome a weapons inaccuracy, so I would rather have a reliable weapon.

Cagemonkey
01-10-11, 15:17
Thanks for the posting. Great interview from a real deal, no BS Marine.

supersix4
01-10-11, 15:57
Thank you for posting this interview, it is VERY informative.

Here (http://www.stripes.com/military-life/outnumbered-and-outgunned-1.92736) is a link for more on the fighting.

Suwannee Tim
01-10-11, 16:01
Wow. Thanks for the link. So many interesting things I don't know what to say. Except thank God we have people like this on our team. If I was the POTUS he'd get his armor and night vision. Too bad I ain't the POTUS, huh?

GLOCKMASTER
01-10-11, 16:31
Littlelebowski thanks for posting this as it was a good read with some great information.

Detmongo
01-10-11, 17:13
littleleboski,
first and formost thank him for his service, second great to hear from someone who has actually done it and seen first hand what works and what doesn't work. GREAT READ.
thank you sir.

UDT
01-10-11, 17:18
Thank you, for posting this it was very informative.

Safetyhit
01-10-11, 17:19
Great post LL.

SeriousStudent
01-10-11, 18:17
It's wonderful to read that men like Master Sergeant Blanton are recognized for their heroism.

LLB, thank you for posting the link. It is warriors like him that keep our nation free and safe.

Pilgrim
01-10-11, 18:33
Outstanding interview!

I love getting first hand information.

Jeff Franz
01-10-11, 19:06
Great read. I have heard several others that are active duty and have completed tours express the same feelings regarding training, specifically weapons manipulation and malfunctions. Thanks for sharing.

Jf

RogerinTPA
01-10-11, 19:26
Great interview Littlelebowski.

Too bad no one who can make a difference, listens to our returning warriors. Progress in combat efficiency and effectiveness would have made an evolutionary leap with every unit rotation had they done so.

cbyrd556
01-10-11, 21:03
Thanks for posting that LL. Great read. Rammed his vehicle into a building to save a teammate inside, what a warrior.

Chameleox
01-10-11, 22:05
Probably the most informative thing I'll read all week. Thank you for sharing that LL. PM inbound.

CLHC
01-11-11, 00:27
That sure is quite an interview Littlelebowski. Thanks for sharing!

You will never hit your target if your gun doesn’t shoot and with the proper training you can learn and overcome a weapons inaccuracy, so I would rather have a reliable weapon.

sff70
01-11-11, 01:06
Very much enjoyed that.

My sincere thanks to the MSgt and his Marines for their efforts on our behalf.

Abraxas
01-11-11, 01:53
Posting link to other forum here (with mod's approval) because I only obtained his permission to post it in whole to very specific places. Feel free to discuss here or there.

Interview (http://www.firearmstrainingandtactics.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1106&p=14812)

Thank you for that.

MeanRider
01-14-11, 09:53
Thanks to the Mods for letting him post that interview.

JSantoro
01-14-11, 12:54
I used to argue, now I say “roger that” then do it the right way when I hit the ground.

:laugh:

Yeah, I'd get along with this guy just fine....

superstratjunky
02-21-11, 21:53
Man, what a great read. No amount of gratitude could come close to how I feel towards his & everyone of those guys & gals that go into harms way.
Thank you.

That said.
With all that's said & done about the logistics involved in the day to day operations of all our military, I think we waste so much of our military resources on BS. The cost of doing business is just utter waste. I'm of course not talking about the souls who do the labor, but the ones running the show. I feel for everyone who puts on the uniform that has to follow orders. I was just a 55B back in 91 & seen, firsthand the BS. But when I got to my duty station, I was appalled by the utter lack of weapons training. It makes absolutely no sense for any foot soldier to not have the best training available & that means, anybody that carries a rifle, not just the infantry. If as a 55B, {or a 92G, for that matter} I'm just 20 clicks from the front lines, I want every Joe & Jane to be able to put lead down range to defend positions. The only thing I respectfully disagree with is the sidearm. If the waste was reeled in & all of our beloved government employees would take a pay cut, we would have the funds necessary to train & arm everyone on the ground with a pistol. I'm pretty sure he had to bite his tongue on a lot of issues. Our military still has the best personnel in the world, but we aren't giving them the best in terms of equipment & training. Kudos to them, for making the best of their situation.

longball
02-27-11, 23:53
Awesome interview. Thank you for posting that.

Preliator
01-16-12, 03:27
I remember working loosely with a Sgt Blanton who was with 1st Recon Bn back in 03 and 04. He was a solid Marine and a story like this would not suprise me - I wonder if this is the same guy. Well Done and well deserved wither way.