PDA

View Full Version : Failure to Extract

Heavyweight
01-10-11, 11:53
Pulled out my 6920 for the first time in a couple of months. My love affair with my mid-length has kept me away for a while. Well, apparently my Colt is pissed because immediately I start getting FTEs. So I change magazines....not the problem. I put on a new Crane O ring...still getting FTE. The internals on my 6920 are completely stock. I've never had a problem with the H buffer but I even put in an H2 which did nothing to help. The only thing I can think of is maybe put in an HD extractor spring? I've never needed one before and the rifle has no more than 5,000 rounds through it. It has to be the extractor spring....right? I just don't understand why all of a sudden this problem. Do extractor springs weaken over time?

I'm shooting standard 55 grain M193 ammo and I even switched over to some premium Federal hunting loads with no success.

Stay Safe

Heavyweight

Kuiper
01-10-11, 12:01
When was the last time this weapon functioned without problems, try to get back that moment. How many round went trough the weapon.

Failure to extract is a broad description, you have started to exchange small parts on the extractor. Is the spent casing being extracted out of the chamber, landing in the receiver?

Is the casing not extracted from the chamber at all?

Most of these problems are gasrelated and not so much extractorproblems.

Have you changed out your gasrings and inspected your gastube, esspecially the part that protrudes inside the receiver.

Good luck, let us know how it turned out.

Bas

Heavyweight
01-10-11, 12:11
Sorry....should have given more description of the FTE. Primarily what's happening is the empty is just sticking out the side of the side of the ejection port or the empty is being pushed against the top of the receiver by the fresh round stripped from the magazine.

Heavyweight

RogerinTPA
01-10-11, 12:59
Sorry....should have given more description of the FTE. Primarily what's happening is the empty is just sticking out the side of the side of the ejection port or the empty is being pushed against the top of the receiver by the fresh round stripped from the magazine.

Heavyweight

You are getting an extraction, but not a complete ejection, which is causing the stove pipe malfunction/failure to eject. As you said, probably a clogged ejector due to debris (brass shavings, gunpowder residue, primer sealant) or bad ejector spring. Springs can go bad regardless of the manufacturer. Strange though, I have one 6920 with over 12K, but had to change out a worn extractor around the 5K mark, but not since.

Heavyweight
01-10-11, 13:32
I have one 6920 with over 12K, but had to change out a worn extractor around the 5K mark, but not since.

Did you replace it with a regular or heavy spring?

RogerinTPA
01-10-11, 13:53
Did you replace it with a regular or heavy spring?

A 5 coil extractor spring, O ring, black insert and new extractor, all from BCM.

The_Biased_Observer
01-10-11, 14:02
Assuming a clean chamber, could be too much extractor tension, a result of the 5 coil spring and all the related assistance devices. Brass shavings, carbon and primer junk can wedge between the ejector and the hole for it in the bolt. Aged lube can also contribute to a sticky ejector.

I'd first try pooling some lube at the ejector on the boltface and work the ejector in and out a few times using the firing pin, this will allow the lube to get into the inner surfaces of the ejector/bolt housing. Make sure to add lube to the ejector spring "vent" hole on the side of the bolt too.

Iraqgunz
01-10-11, 14:08
What you have is a failure to eject. You shouldn't need any other extractor to make your 6920 run. A regular Colt extractor spring and insert is plenty.

I would clean the bolt and then apply lubricant to the ejector face and work it a little. Then take it out and shoot it again. Make sure that your BCG is WET, not just a little lubed.

Dano5326
01-10-11, 14:10
You have a fail to EJECT

casing is EXTRACTING from chamber

most likely ejector issue. Check ejector spring tension. Also strip bolt, check for brass shavings or something in that channel.

Sometimes weird geometry of extractor can hinder ejection, but not so common.

Cagemonkey
01-10-11, 15:04
While cleaning your bolt, fill the bolt face area by the ejector with penetrating oil. Take a empty casing and hook the rim into the extractor and rock the casing back and forth working the ejector in and out. This should loosen any fouling or debris interfering with the ejector. If this doesn't work then you'll have to replace the ejector spring.

Heavyweight
01-10-11, 18:34
I appreciate the terminology lesson and the advice. I'm gonna make sure it's debris free and run it real wet next outing. But I'm gonna order a new spring from BCM just in case.

Thanks again.....

Heavyweight
01-13-11, 09:31
I got to put a few rounds downrange yesterday...BCG was sparkling clean and very well lubed. I was able to get the Colt to eject but just barely. The brass was just able to tumble out of the receiver and onto the bench. I'm going to go ahead and put in a new 5 coil spring, O ring, black insert and ejector just to be safe. Ruling out debris and fouling it has to be a bad spring/ejector. This is the first failure I've had in my 6920 (that wasn't directly my fault) in 5k rounds. Not too shabby IMHO.

Be Safe!

Heavyweight

Iraqgunz
01-13-11, 12:41
A word of advice. Replace the ejector spring first and then shoot the weapon before you do the other stuff.

I got to put a few rounds downrange yesterday...BCG was sparkling clean and very well lubed. I was able to get the Colt to eject but just barely. The brass was just able to tumble out of the receiver and onto the bench. I'm going to go ahead and put in a new 5 coil spring, O ring, black insert and ejector just to be safe. Ruling out debris and fouling it has to be a bad spring/ejector. This is the first failure I've had in my 6920 (that wasn't directly my fault) in 5k rounds. Not too shabby IMHO.

Be Safe!

Heavyweight

Heavyweight
01-13-11, 13:06
A word of advice. Replace the ejector spring first and then shoot the weapon before you do the other stuff.

Will do.

davidz71
01-13-11, 18:50
I've seen this a few times in Ruger Mini-14 bolts. In one case it was a broken ejector spring and in the other it was trash of some type that did not allow the spring to operate like it should. A couple drips of oil in the ejector area and working the ejector with a fired brass case as noted earlier has worked a couple of other times.

DBR
01-13-11, 19:43
Five coil extractor springs coil bind in some bolts and limit extractor travel. This can interfere with ejection. BCM changed to four coil springs a while ago because the five coil springs can bind in their bolts.

I suggest using the newest Colt spring with the black insert and lose the O ring. Brownells sells the Colt spring.