PDA

View Full Version : Midlength Gas System - Spring/Buffer Question

BoomerShooter
01-10-11, 13:18
I am looking at getting a Carbine Spring and Standard Carbine Buffer for my midlength gas system. Is this the right combo to get for this gas system?

Thanks

Iraqgunz
01-10-11, 14:16
Sure.

On a side note. I did a test fire yesterday with a new 16" mid length that I picked up from BCM. I fired 100 rounds through it (RUAG 55.gr. M193 clone and Hornady 55gr. steel TAP). The weapon successfully cycled with both types of ammo with an H, H2 and H3 buffer.

I am looking at getting a Carbine Spring and Standard Carbine Buffer for my midlength gas system. Is this the right combo to get for this gas system?

Thanks

bp7178
01-10-11, 14:29
Any difference in recoil with any of the different weight buffers?

Iraqgunz
01-10-11, 14:32
The difference is surely felt, just as it was with the 14.5" middy that markm and I tested out.

Had I put a Battle Comp on it, it would have been smoother I am sure.

Any difference in recoil with any of the different weight buffers?

ForTehNguyen
01-10-11, 14:48
should work fine. Even on my setup Im running a middy with H buffer on Wolf Ammo and theres no cycling problems.

hals1
01-16-11, 08:38
Not to change the subject, but I have a BM lower (carbine buffer)
and a BCM lower (H buffer). I have a BCM middie 16" upper and a BCM 20" rifle upper. Right now the middie is on the BM lower. I take it the middie should have the H buffer and the rifle the carbine buffer?
If not, what is the consensus.

Robb Jensen
01-16-11, 08:43
CAR 3.0oz buffers will for fine on midlengths. Many people like the way the H feels over the CAR though. It's a slower slightly heavier push on the shoulder.

BufordTJustice
01-16-11, 13:25
Sure.

On a side note. I did a test fire yesterday with a new 16" mid length that I picked up from BCM. I fired 100 rounds through it (RUAG 55.gr. M193 clone and Hornady 55gr. steel TAP). The weapon successfully cycled with both types of ammo with an H, H2 and H3 buffer.

+1

My BCM 16" middy also worked using an H3 buffer. It even had a Tubbs flatwire buffer spring...ran tula .223 55gr while dirty without a hitch.

IMHO, if you've got a 16" middy, and you're using less than an H2, you're not getting all the benefits the gun has to offer. The difference in the 'softness' of the recoil stroke between a carbine buffer and an H2 was HUGE. There was a noticeable difference between the H2 and H3...but not as large as the jump from CAR to H2.

I think the beauty of a midlength gas system is you can pretty much run whatever buffer you'd like...it seems to be much more tolerant of different amounts of reciprocating weights. If somebody likes a CAR buffer, they can run it all day without encountering extraction issues. If a person prefers heavy buffers (Like Markm, IG, and myself), they can run those as well...also without issue.

hals1
01-16-11, 21:24
So; I have a 16" middie and a 20" rifle.. I have a carbine buffer and an H buffer. Sounds like I need to get an H2 and swap around and see what works best. Right?

twisted
01-19-11, 13:43
not trying to get off topic...but is there any good formula for selecting buffers and springs?

i have a 14.5" carbine and i cant seem to get a good buffer. keep getting gas blow back in the face.

Iraqgunz
01-19-11, 13:48
Can you tell us more about your particular make and model? You are always going to get some blowback.

Most of the time it is trial and error as they are other factors to consider (ammo, gas port size, barrel length, etc..)

not trying to get off topic...but is there any good formula for selecting buffers and springs?

i have a 14.5" carbine and i cant seem to get a good buffer. keep getting gas blow back in the face.

Blowby
01-19-11, 13:50
Will the choice of a buffer correct this problem. Do a search on the silicone mod to the charging handle. This might help on the blow back.

Blowby
01-19-11, 13:53
Found link: http://www.03designgroup.com/technotes/do-it-yourself-gas-buster-charging-handle

Sorry if this is off topic.

twisted
01-19-11, 14:13
Can you tell us more about your particular make and model? You are always going to get some blowback.

Most of the time it is trial and error as they are other factors to consider (ammo, gas port size, barrel length, etc..)

its a 14.5" compass lake ss barrel from dennys guns in kc
carbine gas system, 1:7 twist, .223 wylde chamber.
mega upper/lower, lmt enhanced auto bcg.
it has a commercial tube and carbine buffer/spring
and i know some blow back is normal but its a bunch from mine.
i was told by 1 to get a 9mm buffer for it.....just wanted a better idea of figuring the right buffer.

twisted
01-19-11, 14:19
Found link: http://www.03designgroup.com/technotes/do-it-yourself-gas-buster-charging-handle

Sorry if this is off topic.

thanks i may give this a try too

Iraqgunz
01-19-11, 19:11
Contact Compass Lake or Denny's and see if you can find out the port size. In any case I wpuld think that you should be able to use at least an H buffer and maybe an H2.

its a 14.5" compass lake ss barrel from dennys guns in kc
carbine gas system, 1:7 twist, .223 wylde chamber.
mega upper/lower, lmt enhanced auto bcg.
it has a commercial tube and carbine buffer/spring
and i know some blow back is normal but its a bunch from mine.
i was told by 1 to get a 9mm buffer for it.....just wanted a better idea of figuring the right buffer.

01tundra
01-31-11, 12:29
Reading this has me curious as to why my new BCM 16" middy is not wanting to always lock back with .223 ammo? It was operating fine with the CAR buffer, but I like the way the H buffer feels. On 5.56 ammo it seems to work fine, but with some of the weaker .223 stuff it won't always lock back. I've experienced this with several different new P-mags.

I added a BattleComp brake and TL Enhanced battery assist lever (but prior to that I had a B.A.D. on it and it had the same issues).

The lower is a DD that I had G&R build, has a Colt LPK and a Geissele SSA trigger.

I'd like to jump up to a H2, but I need to figure out why it's not liking the H buffer first and I'm out of ideas.........

Only thing I can think to do is try it without the TL on it, since I've had the either the B.A.D. or TL on it since it was new.

SA80Dan
01-31-11, 12:39
Only thing I can think to do is try it without the TL on it, since I've had the either the B.A.D. or TL on it since it was new.

....I think you are probably well on the way to solving the problem with that thought.

Dos Cylindros
01-31-11, 12:56
Reading this has me curious as to why my new BCM 16" middy is not wanting to always lock back with .223 ammo? It was operating fine with the CAR buffer, but I like the way the H buffer feels. On 5.56 ammo it seems to work fine, but with some of the weaker .223 stuff it won't always lock back. I've experienced this with several different new P-mags.

I added a BattleComp brake and TL Enhanced battery assist lever (but prior to that I had a B.A.D. on it and it had the same issues).

The lower is a DD that I had G&R build, has a Colt LPK and a Geissele SSA trigger.

I'd like to jump up to a H2, but I need to figure out why it's not liking the H buffer first and I'm out of ideas.........

I would point my finger at the B.A.D. or TL as this has been a known issue for some people with these devices installed on their guns. I doubt it is the buffer, but more likely a combination of the buffer and the BAD or TL. I will never run a BAD or TL for this reason.

Iraqgunz
01-31-11, 14:02
If I were to guess it's because of the change in buffers. Especially if the ammo is weak .223.

Take off the lever all together and see what happens.

01tundra
01-31-11, 14:26
Something just made me think that I could have possibly put one of my Sprinco blue springs in it when I switched to the H buffer, so I need to check that also......I'm going to kick myself square in the ass if that's what it's been the entire time :p.

If it does have the carbine spring in it, I'll go ahead and pull the TL and report back.

Thanks.

Russ D
01-31-11, 17:26
I am running a Spikes T2 buffer on my 18" middy rifle with good results.The recoil is noticeably smoother.

anto
01-31-11, 20:08
Anyone have experience with an H2 or ST-T2 in a 14.5 middy with a Tubbs CS spring?

01tundra
02-01-11, 06:59
Check the spring last night and sure enough, it was the blue Sprinco spring. I remember reading that the blue spring is stronger than the standard carbine spring and that they can cause problems in a middy.

So it's back to testing once the BCM carbine spring arrives........

SA80Dan
02-01-11, 08:50
Check the spring last night and sure enough, it was the blue Sprinco spring. I remember reading that the blue spring is stronger than the standard carbine spring and that they can cause problems in a middy.

So it's back to testing once the BCM carbine spring arrives........

The blue spring is stronger, but barely. Still think you should pull off the BAD and give that a try.

Have to say (in general, from a few recent threads here not pointed at you) I'm quite amazed the lengths people will go to keep the BAD levers on their rifles. Changing out springs, buffers, paddles, lower receivers.....all for the sake of some $20 aftermarket part that is well known to cause bolt hold issues with some rifles, irregardless of brand.

01tundra
02-01-11, 10:17
The blue spring is stronger, but barely. Still think you should pull off the BAD and give that a try.

Have to say (in general, from a few recent threads here not pointed at you) I'm quite amazed the lengths people will go to keep the BAD levers on their rifles. Changing out springs, buffers, paddles, lower receivers.....all for the sake of some $20 aftermarket part that is well known to cause bolt hold issues with some rifles, irregardless of brand.

No I totally agree, if it's between proper and reliable operation or having something add-on that makes operating the system a little more convinient, it's a no-brainer for me.....

Dennis
02-01-11, 11:19

Haha, I think you are at least partially talking about me :haha: It's really more that the BAD worked great on 4 other rifles and I got used to the functionality. Now I have run into one case where it doesn't work and it drove me to distraction trying to figure out the puzzle...

I'm back to the normal catch on that midlength upper.

To the original OP. Definitely take off the BAD/whichever lever and see if that solves your problem.

Dennis.

Gramps
12-10-12, 16:50
Old thread I know, but didn't want to start a new one.

I got a bushy lower in a good trade (old used BSA scope for it) and it has an A2 stock with rifle length buffer/spring, will this work for a "Mid length" 16" gas system? Or will I need to change buffer and or spring? Just ordered a mid length off the erronet, so don't have it yet.

ForTehNguyen
12-10-12, 17:26
using a carbine spring + H buffer in all of mine, works fine

ra2bach
12-10-12, 20:27

I got a bushy lower in a good trade (old used BSA scope for it) and it has an A2 stock with rifle length buffer/spring, will this work for a "Mid length" 16" gas system? Or will I need to change buffer and or spring? Just ordered a mid length off the erronet, so don't have it yet.

in my experience, I think you'll be delighted with the A2 stock/rifle buffer on a midlength. if you are good with the A2 and not a collapsing stock, that is...

aguila327
12-10-12, 21:15
No problem. Thats how all mine started

86 slo-vo
12-10-12, 21:23
So far my 14.5 middy has ran great with my ace ARUL stock with rifle buffer and spring.

With the comp it runs very smooth though I believe I will be swapping over to a carbine tube and from the sounds of it an h2 or h3 buffer as I'd like to try a different stock.

Kyohte
12-10-12, 23:06
My BCM 16" midlength will not cycle Silver Bear with a heavy buffer. My solution is to not shoot Silver Bear. The B.A.D. is well known to cause problems. Even if the rifle ran with it initially, springs and parts wear down and one day it may cause issues.

BufordTJustice
12-11-12, 01:12

+1

Yeah...it's been a very case-by-case issue. But some guns just WILL NOT run a BAD lever. Period.

My advice to you is to take it OFF and find what buffer/spring setup works best for you. The BAD lever should have zero effect on bolt lock back. Zero. Then put the BAD back on and see what happens.

BufordTJustice
12-11-12, 01:14

Holy shit. I just replied to a post over a year old!

On topic, the rifle buffer and spring will serve you very well.

The_Hammer_Man
12-11-12, 01:26
Holy shit. I just replied to a post over a year old!

On topic, the rifle buffer and spring will serve you very well.

Holy Necro post Phatman!!

Still.. +1 to what Bufford said.