PDA

View Full Version : Gun control legislation in the works

Entropy
01-10-11, 18:22
Not surprising that this would be brought up. The question is, will it gain any traction in this political environment:

http://www.politico.com/news/stories/0111/47338.html

montanadave
01-10-11, 18:58
Under any other circumstances and given the current composition of Congress, I would say any attempts at more stringent gun control are DOA. Gun control advocates may seek to introduce legislation to placate the base but it is unlikely that any such measures will ever move out of committee, much less advance to a floor vote.

The wild card in this situation is that a member of Congress was targeted for assassination and lays mortally wounded. A federal judge is dead. So are five others, including a nine-year-old child.

If there's one thing politicians might put in front of gun rights it's their own self-preservation. Should there be copycat episodes of this sort of violence, members of Congress may decide they'd rather get shot down at the polls than shot down in the street.

ralph
01-10-11, 19:46
I don't think It'll go anywhere, This woman is a rabid anti, and this is just the excuse she's been waiting for. While this is still fresh in everyone's minds, she'll try to round up support, and ram it through,typical, step over the dead and dying, to promote her agenda. I'm hoping cooler heads will prevail, hopefully, those who now run the house..

As far as copycat episodes go, I honestly don't think there will be any,It's pretty clear that the shooter is nuts. However, it's not surprising this happened, for the last 2yrs, congress has been doing everything the majority of people in this country told them they did'nt want done. Obamacare, cap&trade, borrowing obscene amounts of money from China and squandering it, not to mention illegals and the problems at the border that the Govt prefers to ignore.Alot of people are out of work, out of luck and out of hope. and they're also angry. Did they(congress) honestly think they were untouchable, and above reproach?

chadbag
01-10-11, 19:54
I think this is the same stuff she introduces every Congress. She couldn't get it passed under Pelosi...

Jake'sDad
01-10-11, 19:55
This subject has been debated in the other thread, (with mixed results...), and while I agree that some huge piece of legislation, (like revival of the AWB), is unlikely over this event, I can easily see something more innocuous sounding being passed, with pro gun politicians giving in as a means to throw the other side a bone.

I absolutely expect ramifications on local levels using this as a catalyst.

bkb0000
01-10-11, 19:57
this bitch introduces gun control initiatives about every year... to my knowledge, none have ever even left committee in her over decade-long career of trying to **** up my country.

Jake'sDad
01-10-11, 20:04
this bitch introduces gun control initiatives about every year... to my knowledge, none have ever even left committee in her over decade-long career of trying to **** up my country.

I believe she's had a couple little successes. Nics improvement act for one.

dookie1481
01-10-11, 20:05

Her entire career is predicated on gun control.

bkb0000
01-10-11, 20:10
its pretty amazing how such a completely worthless congresswoman can maintain such a death grip on her seat...

New York's 4th U.S. Congressional District[43]

Year Candidate Votes % ±%
Carolyn McCarthy (D) 62%
Jack Martins (R) 38%
Carolyn McCarthy (D) 101,861 64.9% +1.9%
Martin W. Blessinger (R) 55,050 35.1%
Carolyn McCarthy (D) 159,969 63.0% +7.1%
James Garner (R) 94,141 37.0%
Carolyn McCarthy (D) 93,651 55.9% -4.7%
Marilyn F. O'Grady (R) 72,882 43.5%
Carolyn McCarthy (D) 136,703 60.6% +8.0
Gregory R. Becker (R) 87,830 38.9%
Carolyn McCarthy (D) 90,256 52.6% -4.9
Gregory R. Becker (R) 79,984 46.6%
Carolyn McCarthy (D) 127,060 57.5%
Daniel Frisa (R) 89,542 40.5% -9.7%

GermanSynergy
01-10-11, 20:11
The only way this gains traction is if the Republicans want to 'reach across the aisle" and help pass it.

I don't see it happening, but who knows. I did a PMAG/EMAG/ARC/USGI mag inventory today and think I'm okay in that regard.

.45fmjoe
01-10-11, 21:55

Exactly. This is nothing new, she tries every year. She is just trying to use this event as a springboard. As someone else said, she couldn't even get it out of committee when Pelosi was speaker. Good ****ing luck with a Republican controlled House.