PDA

View Full Version : Has anybody ever ran a LaserMax G17 guide rod laser through a pistol course?

Magic_Salad0892
01-11-11, 12:20
I was considering buying one for a G17 Gen3 gun that I use for carry, but I'm EXTREMELY nervous without any information.

A few questions:

What is the service life? (Not looking forward to buying a $200 part ever 5k rounds...)

Does it work well? (IE: Bright)

If the laser breaks does it take the entire spring assembly out of commission? (IE: The gun wont work.)

Frens
01-11-11, 12:25
Does it work well? (IE: Bright)

there're some interesting videos/reviews on youtube ;)

If the laser breaks does it take the entire spring assembly out of commission? (IE: The gun wont work.)

I dont know but you'll still have the factory recoil spring assembly

sorry I couldn't really help

Magic_Salad0892
01-11-11, 13:17
No need to apologize.

Thanks anyway, Frens.

Littlelebowski
01-11-11, 13:43
The silence is telling. Take the hint......

Crimson Trace. Which class are you going to?

Magic_Salad0892
01-11-11, 13:54
I haven't decided yet. But I was thinking Vickers.

Do you recommend any specifically?

Does Super Dave teach a pistol course?

Littlelebowski
01-11-11, 14:09
Vickers Basic.

Magic_Salad0892
01-11-11, 14:17
Thank you for the recommendation.

May I ask what other pistol classes (fundamentals not tactics) you've taken? And why you prefer this one?

Magic_Salad0892
01-11-11, 14:26
Much appreciated LittleLebowski.

I don't think I would go back to Gunsite for a pistol class.

couch_potato
01-11-11, 14:38
I don't think I would go back to Gunsite for a pistol class.

Why not?

Magic_Salad0892
01-11-11, 14:43
When briefly talking about sidearms there seemed to be a strong bias against anything that wasn't .45.

The carbine class was fine, but that dissuaded me from going to a pistol class a bit.

I'd rather go to a well known instructor with experience and technical/tactics knowledge, than a school with just a technique.

The whole experience was a little underwhelming.

ShipWreck
01-11-11, 14:46
I hadone on a Beretta 92FS - I didn't care for it - but it worked 100%. I actually did a LOT of reading on these things. For the most part, they are pretty reliable.

The major complaints I saw were dealing with ones made for Glocks - some people accidentally activate them holstering the gun/while in the holster - because of the way the switch works for the Glock. This wasn't an issue for my Beretta.

Anyway - it appears that some holsters work better than other for the switch.

It is nice that they do not alter the grip of the gun at all. That is why I never got a laser for a Glock that attached around the grip. I don't like the way the lasers alter the feel of the grip. But, there are newer designs for the Glock, including a pretty small one that attaches to the trigger guard, in addition to the grip mounted ones.

It has been a few months since I have looked at them, but they do have backstrap lasers now for certain guns. If there isn't one already, I would imagine there will be a backstrap laser for the new Gen 4 Glock out very soon. The M&P has that option already.

JSantoro
01-11-11, 15:01
Salad, if you're thinking about buying one...don't. It's a crap-shoot on which ones will break and which won't. I have yet to see one that goes down take the baseline operation of the slide with it. Usually the diode just pops.

If you decide get one anyway, don't fall for the BS hype about how great a strobing aim laser is supposed to be unless chasing the bull is one of your goals. Get the continuous-wave pointer and save the strobing for raves.

If you don't want to spin the Wheel of Destiny in regard to operational reliability, CT remains pretty much the one the industry has to beat.

Seconded on Vickers Basic. I took it this past June, money well spent.

Magic_Salad0892
01-11-11, 15:36
Thanks, for the advice JSantoro, and Lebowski.

I already own a LG-617 (sold a 417. :| Didn't like it.) but was looking for something with an even smaller profile.

For the sake of me not taking it off and having to re-zero it, will the 617 fit the Gen4 guns?