PDA

View Full Version : Larue, BCM, or White Oak 16" barrel?

theoak
01-11-11, 15:23
I was considering either a Larue Stealth 16" complete upper, or building a 16" mid-length with a BCM 16" 1/8 SS410 or a White Oak 16" 1/8 w/ a Wylde Chamber.

Would the BCM or White Oak barrels be close to the 3/4 MOA accuracy that the Larue is capable of?

johnson
01-11-11, 16:34
Yes, also consider Noveske, Centurion, Rainier Arms UltraMatch, or one turned by Compass Lake Engineering.

GermanSynergy
01-11-11, 16:38
Hard to go wrong with any of your choices.

What sort of optic will you be running, and what is the primary mission of this carbine?

mizer67
01-11-11, 19:24
Would the BCM or White Oak barrels be close to the 3/4 MOA accuracy that the Larue is capable of?

Yes on both, with match ammo or match reloads and a good shooter.

theoak
01-11-11, 19:28
I will be using a 1-4x24 Trijicon Accupoint until my 1-8x24 S&B comes in. I will be using it as a patrol rifle, and for punching paper from 100 - 300M with 62gr and 77gr (50/50).

I wanted the most accurate 16" SS barrel that is currently available. I am trying to decide between 1/7 or 1/8 twist; and Wylde or 5.56 NATO Match chamber.

Would the Larue Stealth and the BCM 16" SS410 be about the same for accuracy?

theoak
01-11-11, 19:39
Yes on both, with match ammo or match reloads and a good shooter.

I'll probably go with the BCM 16" 1/8 SS410 mid-length Barrel, a BCM auto/ion-bond BCG, a mid-length VLTOR VIS, and a GG&G Bolt On Flip Up Front Sight / Gas Block System.

I just wanted to make sure I was making the best choice on the barrel...

VLODPG
01-11-11, 20:26
I'll probably go with the BCM 16" 1/8 SS410 mid-length Barrel, a BCM auto/ion-bond BCG, a mid-length VLTOR VIS, and a GG&G Bolt On Flip Up Front Sight / Gas Block System.

I just wanted to make sure I was making the best choice on the barrel...

IMO,If you are going to be using it for duty use I would look into a pinned gas block, not a bolt on.

Too many opportunities where a good blow could cause a problem.

Edit: Looking for a gas block/flip up thats pinned this might be a way to go!

http://www.vltor.com/vst.htm

VST-1P or VST-2P

theoak
01-11-11, 20:39
IMO,If you are going to be using it for duty use I would look into a pinned gas block, not a bolt on.

Too many opportunities where a good blow could cause a problem.

Edit: Looking for a gas block/flip up thats pinned this might be a way to go!

http://www.vltor.com/vst.htm

VST-1P or VST-2P

I'll try this one:

http://www.gggaz.com/index.php?id=39&parents=41

VLODPG
01-11-11, 20:45
I'll try this one:

That would work!

ra2bach
01-11-11, 21:36
I'll try this one:

these are very nice. I have the clamp version but with three screws, it's not going anywhere. that said, if I could pin this FSB, I would...

I know GG&G doesn't get the respect that some of the top stuff does but in my experience, their stuff is very well designed and sturdy.

DDgunslinger
01-11-11, 22:39
these are very nice. I have the clamp version but with three screws, it's not going anywhere. that said, if I could pin this FSB, I would...

I know GG&G doesn't get the respect that some of the top stuff does but in my experience, their stuff is very well designed and sturdy.

+1 GG&G makes solid products

theoak
01-11-11, 22:52
Does anyone know if the VLTOR VIS will work with a barrel with a Wylde chamber?

ra2bach
01-12-11, 00:39
Does anyone know if the VLTOR VIS will work with a barrel with a Wylde chamber?

unless I've lost my senses, the chamber is on the inside of the barrel. why would this affect the receiver?

eta: OK, a less smart-ass remark - I don't believe there would be a problem. a Wylde chamber is only a modification of the chamber. it's most often used on competition guns. it's sometimes described as a cross between a .223 and 5.56 chambers but that's not really accurate as far as it goes.

nonetheless, what have you heard that might make you think this would affect the receiver?

justin_247
01-12-11, 02:43
This seems like the opportune time to ask this question...

The LaRue, WOA, Rainier, and Compass Lake offerings all have Wylde chambers, however I've heard that Wylde chambers may be too tight for true 5.56 ammo, such as MK262, and this is what causes many failures to extract on RRA rifles. This is why Noveske came up with their NMm0 chambers in the first place.

Is this simply a myth, or is it a legitimate problem? If it is legitimate, I would stick to the Noveske, Centurion, and BCM offerings.

Robb Jensen
01-12-11, 05:21
Once in a great great while I see guns with .223 Wylde chambers have issues with 5.56mm NATO ammo. They shoot .223Rem and 5.56mm NATO a little more accurately than 5.56mm NATO chambers.

I have had no issues shooting 5.56mm NATO ammo out of BCMs SS410 barrels with their USMC SAM-R chamber.

justin_247
01-12-11, 05:26
Once in a great great while I see guns with .223 Wylde chambers have issues with 5.56mm NATO ammo. They shoot .223Rem and 5.56mm NATO a little more accurately than 5.56mm NATO chambers.

I have had no issues shooting 5.56mm NATO ammo out of BCMs SS410 barrels with their USMC SAM-R chamber.

Very interesting! Just for my own education, may I ask what the difference is between the SAM-R and 5.56 chambers are in comparison to the Wylde?

Thanks.

Robb Jensen
01-12-11, 05:45
Very interesting! Just for my own education, may I ask what the difference is between the SAM-R and 5.56 chambers are in comparison to the Wylde?

Thanks.

SAM-R is the USMCs version of the .223 Wylde. I have many more rounds through Wylde chambers FWIW. Both are tighter in the neck and throat.
If one will ever use the gun heavily suppressed I'd suggest getting a 5.56mm NATO chamber.

Pax
01-12-11, 06:13

Thanks.

Edit: Robb fielded the question effectively.

As it pertains to the tactical community, if you're not using match-grade rounds anyways, the Wylde aint gonna do much for ya. So IMO it has little if any place among the tactical community and belongs in the competition world. I also question the use of any unnecessary, competition-inspired barrel on a defensive weapon if, as Robb has just brought to my attention, it could cause any type of stoppage or malfunction.

payj
01-12-11, 17:34
All your choices are gtg. You could also look into Kreiger.

theoak
01-12-11, 20:43
I just wanted to make sure the BCM 16" mid-length 1/8 SS410 with NATO match chamber is just as accurate as White Oak, Bartlein, Krieger, Noveske, Larue, etc.

Instead of the 16", I'm almost tempted to order a 20" BCM SS410 barrel, a rifle length VLTOR VIS, and a VLTOR A5 stock.

Nefarious79
01-13-11, 04:32
Does your patrol rifle ride in your trunk, LEO? Id stick with the 16in SS barrels...there is plenty of performance to be had in the 100-300yd range, especially if you are going to be using match ammo. That extra 4in makes things a lot more cumbersome. If you were going to stick with the accupoint Id say you could get away with a 12.5in SS barrel...

dakotalawdog
01-13-11, 06:25
I concur 100%. 16" is as long as a barrel I would get on a patrol rifle, and I would probably run a 12.5" myself if allowed. Anything longer becomes heavy and unwieldy, especially indoors or around vehicles. Usually when I go indoors, the 16" rifle gets slung, and I clear with my pistol. You can FORGET about clearing a house with a 20" barrel.

From 100-300 yards, you really shouldn't see any noticeable difference in accuracy anyways, just velocity. I shoot out to 300 frequently with my Colt 6920 and an EOTech 512. I have no problems hitting E-type steel at 300 with that setup. I'm sure you could do better with magnified optics.

I would suggest the BCM 16" SS410 barrel. The SAM-R chamber is like a Wylde chamber, but should be more reliable with 5.56 ammo. I bought a 20" recently and its shooting 3/4MOA or better at 200 yards with match ammo. The 16" should give you similar results, and it is by far the best value out there. You can spend the extra money and buy a Krieger, but trust me, you're not getting anything better than you would with the BCM. http://m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=71240

As much as you want it to be a dual purpose gun, make it a duty gun first. It should be reliable, lightweight and accurate. The 16" BCM barrel will give you all three.

500grains
01-13-11, 15:02
I have a white oak 16" and it is a 3/4 minute barrel. But I really would like to try a Noveske SS barrel to experience the joys of polygonal rifling, so... But there is nothing wrong with the white oak barrel. It is great.