PDA

View Full Version : So I dug around a bit, LMT MWS optic question.

Winnerkd
01-11-11, 19:33
Hello,

I'm wanting to try something different for my LMT MWS due to money issues, I had an EoTech sight on it for a while. I'm not in a better position to choose an optic. The big conflict right now is Nightforce 2.5-10x or a 1-4x optic maybe the Trijicon.

I'm not looking for precision accuracy abilities with massive magnification. I mainly shoot silhouette targets and the max I would be shooting is 600y.

I haven't had very much trigger time behind any variable power scopes, so I'm wondering if someone could direct me in the right direction?

ALCOAR
01-11-11, 21:12
After owning both pieces of glass (nxs 2.5 and TR-21/24) and the simple fact you say high accuracy/precision is not of much concern I would for sure go with the much faster, more heads up, and way cheaper Trijicon TR24.

Your MWS is good to 1000m outta the box....4x might not be good to 1000m for your eyes, just a thought.

Winnerkd
01-11-11, 21:14
After owning both pieces of glass (nxs 2.5 and TR-21/24) and the simple fact you say high accuracy/precision is not of much concern I would for sure go with the much faster, more heads up, and way cheaper Trijicon TR24.

Your MWS is good to 1000m outta the box....4x might not be good to 1000m for your eyes, just a thought.

I will be ordering a 20'' chrome lined barrel once I shoot out my current barrel! While my eyes are not ''good'' I'm wondering if 4x is enough at 600y? That's the only reason and my big concern over the TR24. I do like the price point, I like the price point on the new SWFA 1-4x as well. As stated before, my targets are all near to or human size.

supersix4
01-11-11, 21:57
4x may or may not be enough @ 600yds, depends are your target, and your acceptable group size. I have a 1x4 on mine but I am not hitting gnats at 600yds. I have a GAP Crusader to do that.

ra2bach
01-11-11, 21:58
I will be ordering a 20'' chrome lined barrel once I shoot out my current barrel! While my eyes are not ''good'' I'm wondering if 4x is enough at 600y? That's the only reason and my big concern over the TR24. I do like the price point, I like the price point on the new SWFA 1-4x as well. As stated before, my targets are all near to or human size.

4x is enough to get hits at 600 yds. heck, I've made hits at 600 in competition using irons...

what 4x doesn't do is give benchrest accuracy at that distance nor is it best for target identification.

as always, mission drives the gear - decide what you want to do first and the question will be answered for you...

Winnerkd
01-11-11, 22:08
4x is enough to get hits at 600 yds. heck, I've made hits at 600 in competition using irons...

what 4x doesn't do is give benchrest accuracy at that distance nor is it best for target identification.

as always, mission drives the gear - decide what you want to do first and the question will be answered for you...

I like that, I'm going to give a hard look at both again and of course the new offerings shown at SHOT '11.

Belmont31R
01-11-11, 22:09
I shoot at LaRue's and gongs at 750 with my EMC and 4X Short Dot.

Depends on the reticle. If its thick you'll be covering up the target. If its thin like the center of a Short-Dot you can make good hits. Ive hit up to 9-10 in a row on LaRue's with match ammo with that combo at 750 before.

Winnerkd
01-12-11, 15:35
I shoot at LaRue's and gongs at 750 with my EMC and 4X Short Dot.

Depends on the reticle. If its thick you'll be covering up the target. If its thin like the center of a Short-Dot you can make good hits. Ive hit up to 9-10 in a row on LaRue's with match ammo with that combo at 750 before.

Thank's Belmont!

That was a concern of mine as well, having looked through a TR24 before, I notice the center is not a fine line (like on the SWFA 1-4x) but a dot, I'm not sure how well that would work out that far.

I really hope for some new Accupoint offerings this SHOT like Steve was hinting at.