PDA

View Full Version : pre ban mags

tiktat
01-12-11, 00:23
Any one know of a company selling pre ban mags?

DaBears_85
01-12-11, 03:24
Here you go:

http://www.sportsmansguide.com/net/cb/colt-stamped-30-rd-ar-15-m16-mags-gray.aspx?a=572629

Iraqgunz
01-12-11, 03:54
I don't believe that those are pre ban magazines.

Here you go:

http://www.sportsmansguide.com/net/cb/colt-stamped-30-rd-ar-15-m16-mags-gray.aspx?a=572629

lt211
01-12-11, 06:07
Any one know of a company selling pre ban mags?Dabears 85 is right on.....those are Colt pre ban mags. Go for the six, its a great price for Colt pre 1994 mags. If they wont ship to you try http://www.kyimports.com/index.php?main_page=index&manufacturers_id=15&zenid=nqheqope3ad8bt0nvhp5rm78v8gvr35b
(definitely pre ban)I purchased 10 at $23 each, free shipping and they were a pleasure on the phone.......they are new. Apparently their are tons of these stockpiled around. Good luck.

gabulldawg
01-12-11, 07:50
If the mags from sportsman's guide are pre-ban why won't they ship to NY?

Scotty
01-12-11, 07:55
I've only seen legit preban in NY with dates stamped on the lower part of the body.

newyork
01-12-11, 07:59
It says New Manufacture, so... not pre-ban.

m1a_scoutguy
01-12-11, 09:36
Dabears 85 is right on.....those are Colt pre ban mags. Go for the six, its a great price for Colt pre 1994 mags. If they wont ship to you try http://www.kyimports.com/index.php?main_page=index&manufacturers_id=15&zenid=nqheqope3ad8bt0nvhp5rm78v8gvr35b
(definitely pre ban)I purchased 10 at $23 each, free shipping and they were a pleasure on the phone.......they are new. Apparently their are tons of these stockpiled around. Good luck.

Wow,,thats good info !! I live in NY myself and am "always" looking for good Mags,(Pre-Ban) maybe with Tax time around the corner I will grab a few extra mags,,ya can never have to many !!!:D I have bought a few Pre-Bans off M4 Carbine,,,but they seem to go pretty fast,,,now I hate to mention "TOS",,but if ya snoop around over there,,I have bought quite a few Pre-Ban Mags over there,,and never paid more that $12 bucks per Mag,,,:) But then I add a new spring,,MagPul follower,,so I'm probably almost up to the price of a New mag.:confused: Keep looking and you will find them !!

lt211
01-12-11, 11:31
If the mags from sportsman's guide are pre-ban why won't they ship to NY?
Not sure, But I ordered the same ones(no date stamp, green followers and same floor plate markings which are pre-ban) from KY Imports. In fact the receipt from KY Imports has them as pre-ban as well as the site....I live in NY and I am LEO and I believe these are GTG. Okay why do I need pre bans? Three reasons, To pass them down to my kids, Retirement and I love Old Colt mags!:D Perhaps because they are not legal in NYC so they just make it inclusive. Someone correct me if I am wrong but I believe all Colt AR mags produced after Sept 94 are stamped with the date. Also Colt was was bought by CF Holding Corporation, a group of private investors led by Shared Technologies Inc. chairman Anthony Autorino, purchased the Firearms Division in 1989 for about $100 million. The newly independent company was christened Colt's Manufacturing Company, Inc. Thus the change of the name on the floor plates. No date stamp and old plate"colt firearms division colt industries" gtg IMO. In fact I will buy ten more! Especially after the recent Arizona shooting. It might take years but I think in the long run they will limit the capacity to ten again, sorry just my opinion. Especially if this happens again in the near future!

lt211
01-12-11, 12:25

I think they are trying to say they are new, meaning not used. Some of the people working for these company's that post adds don't know about the product they are selling! Certainly don't do the research or have the wisdom that we collectively have. Allot of people dont know much about what they are doing and are just in it for the pay check. Lets not forget your average Cop in NY ain't going to know the difference between a pre ban mag and a post ban mag either. Thats why I like the Colt pre ban mags too, a simple goggle search. Hey new idea:sarcastic: you have one phone call and a google search!

newyork
01-12-11, 12:36
Its worth a call but it not only says new manufacture but it also won't sell them to a list of ban states. I'd think it would say NIB or NIW, not new manufacture. Also, what would be the point of advertising pre-ban mags but not selling them to the ban states?
As far as LE not being able to tell the difference, I'm not thinking it's really worth the risk. Otherwise, why not just buy 40 Pmags, have them shipped to a buddy who then ships it to me, or better yet build an SBR with all the goodies? No thanks. Not a fan of prison.

paulkuda
01-12-11, 12:36
I have order two dozen from Top Gun Supply because I may find myself moving back to MA one day. My brother who lives there now had his checked out and they are pre-ban

$17.95 each and I cannot speak highly enough of the great customer service and prompt shipping from Top Gun.

http://www.topgunsupply.com/colt-rifle-magazines/

Iraqgunz
01-12-11, 13:17
Thank you. That was my point exactly.

5pins
01-12-11, 13:37
Why would anyone have unused preban mags? Sounds odd that they have just been sitting around since 1994. Maybe they took some preban floor plates and put them on new mag bodies.

DaBears_85
01-12-11, 13:47
They are pre-ban mags.

https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=65256

It states in the OP that I had picked the mags up at a gunshow, but I was mistaken. After recently selling the mags to m1a_scoutguy I came across a receipt for the mags from the Sportsman's Guide. So as you can tell from the thread I linked to above, they are definitely pre-ban.

paulkuda
01-12-11, 13:49
This is the best link I know of showing pre-bans mags.
http://www.nyfirearms.com/blog/2008/10/preban-ar-15-magazine-identification/

The ones I purchased from Top Gun have no markings, in or out. So I guess it is up to the LEO to decide how he/she is feeling the day they question me. There seem to be numerous dealers selling these "new" Colt "pre-ban" mags.

It seems to me anyone can stamp whatever date they want on the aluminum shell. If the politicians had any common sense and wanted to ban mags, they would require all new mags to have a date stamp, therefore reducing the ability to forge a mag into a pre-ban one.

Iraqgunz
01-12-11, 14:09
My question then would be why don't they sell them to states that have a "pre ban" magazine clause?

They are pre-ban mags.

It states in the OP that I had picked the mags up at a gunshow, but I was mistaken. After recently selling the mags to m1a_scoutguy I came across a receipt for the mags from the Sportsman's Guide. So as you can tell from the thread I linked to above, they are definitely pre-ban.

SMETNA
01-12-11, 14:13
I might get in trouble for this but:

If your magazine says NOTHING on it at all . . . anywhere . . . then you cannot be charged with a "crime" for possessing it. They need proof that you have a new magazine, (i.e. newer date stamp, manufacturer that didn't exist in 1994 such as MagPul, CProducts)

If there's no markings on the body, floorplate, then you're good.

Remember, with LE/ DA's, it's not what they know, it's what they can prove in court.

However, I do recommend that we in the communist states buy actual pre-ban mags, because if they're available, why risk getting nail with a not-so-pre one.

DaBears_85
01-12-11, 14:28
My question then would be why don't they sell them to states that have a "pre ban" magazine clause?

I've been pondering this myself. I think lt211 is on the right track:

I think they are trying to say they are new, meaning not used. Some of the people working for these company's that post adds don't know about the product they are selling! Certainly don't do the research or have the wisdom that we collectively have. Allot of people dont know much about what they are doing and are just in it for the pay check.

I can't comment on the being 'in it for the paycheck' part, but I can see them not being fully aware of what they are selling.

lt211
01-12-11, 17:50
As far as LE not being able to tell the difference, I'm not thinking it's really worth the risk. Otherwise, why not just buy 40 Pmags, have them shipped to a buddy who then ships it to me, or better yet build an SBR with all the goodies? No thanks. Not a fan of prison.[/QUOTE]

My mistake I didn't mean it that way, just the opposite. I mean even if they are pre ban their are cops that will lock you up for the possession of a large capacity magazine, D Felony(New York State Penal Law). In the law it grandfathers in weapons and magazines manufactured pre Sept 94. I would never advocate breaking the law or rolling the dice on your freedom. As stated I am a LEO in NY. Back on topic these are pre ban mags. The green followers with these floor plates and mag body were military contract and produced for years at huge quantities, millions. As stated Colt started stamping the dates in 1994 due to the Federal AWB and the name changed in 1989 from Colt Firearms Division to to Colt's Manufacturing Inc. Anyone with a colt mag from a rifle made 1994 to date look at the mags and check the floor plate and the date stamp on the mag body. I have pre 94 and post 94 Colt rifles. Please chime in...... But please don't buy them if your not comfortable with it.

lt211
01-12-11, 18:00
I have order two dozen from Top Gun Supply because I may find myself moving back to MA one day. My brother who lives there now had his checked out and they are pre-ban

$17.95 each and I cannot speak highly enough of the great customer service and prompt shipping from Top Gun.

http://www.topgunsupply.com/colt-rifle-magazines/

Thats even better!

Ed L.
01-12-11, 18:29

Two reasons:

1. They are not familiar with the specifics of the laws of the particular states. Plus, those laws can change on a state level and the seller being out of state might not be aware of it and keep selling the products to people in the state in violation of the laws.

2. They are covering their ass and don't want to take any chances of getting sucked into a huge legal battle and having to pay lawyer fees if the state decides to make a pain in the ass of itself in spite of its laws.

I am not at all defending the practice, just explaining it from the company's rationale. I think it really sucks for people living there.

lt211
01-12-11, 18:31
Two reasons:

1. They are not familiar with the specifics of the laws of the particular states.

2. They are covering their ass and don't want to take any chances of getting sucked into a huge legal battle and having to pay lawyer fees if the state decides to make a pain in the ass of itself in spite of its laws.
Bingo!

The_War_Wagon
01-12-11, 21:15
Orlites (http://www.sportsmansguide.com/net/cb/30-rd-ar-15-m16-orlite-mag.aspx?a=205168) are treated as 'no-ban' by NY officially, BUT... I've heard tell of zealous LEO's who do not understand that. :rolleyes:

If you live in a ban state, KNOW your laws. Better still, vote by U-Haul!

SMETNA
01-12-11, 22:03
If you live in a ban state, KNOW your laws. Better still, vote by U-Haul!

Amen. I want to move to Virginia at some point soon.

m1a_scoutguy
01-12-11, 23:27
They are pre-ban mags.

Pheeeeew,,thats good to know DaBears85,,interesting though !! I will take them apart to check "inside" for stamps or marks,,but they are Stashed away in a Ammo can with many other New or Like New Mags !! It will be good to look them over,,if there is any marks/stamps I will let ya know,,but I beleive them to be "true" pre-ban mags and not really worried about it !! But its always better to be safe & "smart" :)
Hey guys,,I was snooping around and found this,,not bad & they WILL ship to NY !!!!! http://www.hendersondefense.com/store/pc/Colt-30-round-M16-Pre-94-Magazine-Unissued-40p81.htm

GunnutAF
01-13-11, 17:26
Dam $22.95 ea? I just picked up two more today for $15 EA! All my 30's are pre-bans! :D

Rspeed
01-13-11, 18:54
Dam $22.95 ea? I just picked up two more today for $15 EA! All my 30's are pre-bans! :D

May I ask where?

DaBears_85
01-13-11, 19:10
Pheeeeew,,thats good to know DaBears85,,interesting though !! I will take them apart to check "inside" for stamps or marks,,but they are Stashed away in a Ammo can with many other New or Like New Mags !! It will be good to look them over,,if there is any marks/stamps I will let ya know,,but I beleive them to be "true" pre-ban mags and not really worried about it !! But its always better to be safe & "smart" :)

No worries, man. I wouldn't have shipped them to you if I had any doubt as to wether or not they were pre-ban.

Hey guys,,I was snooping around and found this,,not bad & they WILL ship to NY !!!!! http://www.hendersondefense.com/store/pc/Colt-30-round-M16-Pre-94-Magazine-Unissued-40p81.htm

That's a nice find, m1a. I've been meaning to send you a link to the Sportsman's Guide after I discovered the source of the mags, but that looks alot more hassle-free.

lt211
01-13-11, 19:40
Why would you order from http://www.hendersondefense.com/store/pc/Colt-30-round-M16-Pre-94-Magazine-Unissued-40p81.htm
at 22.95 when you could order from http://www.topgunsupply.com/colt-preban-ar-15-30rd-magazines.html at 17.95. all of these sites are selling you the same pre ban mags. If you look at the picture of the mag on the Henderrsondefense.com real closely you can see the green follower although they state black. From my past reference I was led to believe the green followers were better anyway. Just my thoughts......they are all the same Colt Firearms Division pre 1994 military contract mags.

m1a_scoutguy
01-13-11, 23:00
Why would you order from http://www.hendersondefense.com/store/pc/Colt-30-round-M16-Pre-94-Magazine-Unissued-40p81.htm
at 22.95 when you could order from http://www.topgunsupply.com/colt-preban-ar-15-30rd-magazines.html at 17.95. all of these sites are selling you the same pre ban mags. If you look at the picture of the mag on the Henderrsondefense.com real closely you can see the green follower although they state black. From my past reference I was led to believe the green followers were better anyway. Just my thoughts......they are all the same Colt Firearms Division pre 1994 military contract mags.
If ya read into it a bit,,they say they "May Be Pre-Ban" and look at the restrictions,,they will "NOT" send to NY,,,:( so for people in States such as NY and others,,,,,its a No go,,so end of story !! Depending on my $$$$ flow,,sometimes I will pay $20++ bucks for a NIW Pre-Ban,,and other times I won't pay over $12/$15,,depends on my need and wants,,LOL !!! So with that said,,the New mags form Henderson is a decent deal,,not a smoking deal,,but a fair deal if you really need some extra mags !!! :)

Mac5.56
01-14-11, 00:40
Lets not forget your average Cop in NY ain't going to know the difference between a pre ban mag and a post ban mag either.

In my mind THIS is the biggest Crap reality about living in a restricted state!

You say this like it's something that may work in favor of the magazine owner, but I see it as something that will ultimately work against the magazine owner. I have sat and conversed about this very situation at length with my friends that are county Sheriffs in one of the Hudson Valley Counties, and the conclusion is literally that ANY 30 rnd Magazine in NY is going to get you in trouble if the officer decides to make your life difficult.

I know that is something that we don't want to talk about on here, but it is a literal fact. 90% of officers aren't going to be able to tell the difference between a pre-ban and a post ban aluminum magazine, especially if you upgrade it with followers. Since the lift of the AWB companies like C-Products aren't date stamping mags anymore, and it's not hard to throw a Colt end plate on a new mag. I've seen them at gun shows, and had them offered to me as pre-ban, when I know they aren't.

As one officer I know put it, if your shooting on public land with a 30rnd mag in NY, and someone decides to call in a complaint, expect to have the officer that responds show up with his pistol drawn, and the day to not end well.

The bottom line is that if you can "conclude" through your assumptions that a magazine is pre-ban, a police officer can decide to "conclude" through their own assumptions that it is not. It won't matter in NY state if your right or not.

Since I know this, I refuse to touch any mag that is close to questionable. I am not going to loose my right to own a gun simply because I think I can slip a magazine past a police officer that may not know the difference...

lt211
01-14-11, 05:37
If ya read into it a bit,,they say they "May Be Pre-Ban" and look at the restrictions,,they will "NOT" send to NY,,,:( so for people in States such as NY and others,,,,,its a No go,,so end of story !! Depending on my $$$$ flow,,sometimes I will pay $20++ bucks for a NIW Pre-Ban,,and other times I won't pay over $12/$15,,depends on my need and wants,,LOL !!! So with that said,,the New mags form Henderson is a decent deal,,not a smoking deal,,but a fair deal if you really need some extra mags !!! :)

Oops your right, :agree:I guess I should have looked at the site a little more.

lt211
01-14-11, 05:48
In my mind THIS is the biggest Crap reality about living in a restricted state!

You say this like it's something that may work in favor of the magazine owner, but I see it as something that will ultimately work against the magazine owner. I have sat and conversed about this very situation at length with my friends that are county Sheriffs in one of the Hudson Valley Counties, and the conclusion is literally that ANY 30 rnd Magazine in NY is going to get you in trouble if the officer decides to make your life difficult.

I know that is something that we don't want to talk about on here, but it is a literal fact. 90% of officers aren't going to be able to tell the difference between a pre-ban and a post ban aluminum magazine, especially if you upgrade it with followers. Since the lift of the AWB companies like C-Products aren't date stamping mags anymore, and it's not hard to throw a Colt end plate on a new mag. I've seen them at gun shows, and had them offered to me as pre-ban, when I know they aren't.

As one officer I know put it, if your shooting on public land with a 30rnd mag in NY, and someone decides to call in a complaint, expect to have the officer that responds show up with his pistol drawn, and the day to not end well.

The bottom line is that if you can "conclude" through your assumptions that a magazine is pre-ban, a police officer can decide to "conclude" through their own assumptions that it is not. It won't matter in NY state if your right or not.

Since I know this, I refuse to touch any mag that is close to questionable. I am not going to loose my right to own a gun simply because I think I can slip a magazine past a police officer that may not know the difference...
That was my point exactly(bottom of 1st page)... "even if they are pre ban their are cops that will lock you up for the possession of a large capacity magazine". Yes the law sucks for legal/legit gun owners like most of us here! But I still believe these are all THE SAME pre ban military contract Colt mags...

usmcvet
01-14-11, 07:21

Could they mean NOS new old stock?

m1a_scoutguy
01-14-11, 10:56
That was my point exactly(bottom of 1st page)... "even if they are pre ban their are cops that will lock you up for the possession of a large capacity magazine". Yes the law sucks for legal/legit gun owners like most of us here! But I still believe these are all THE SAME pre ban military contract Colt mags...

Yes that is a possibility,,but I shoot on a "private" range,,,so unless your doing something stupid,, Cops just drive by. I also have talked with many a Police Officer and Everyone has said they could care less,,they say its Not a Issue Unless Its a Issue,,,,so don't be doing anything stupid and it won't be a problem I figure !!! Most times if a Mag gets you into trouble,,its a "Tack" on charge,,you were doing something stupid to begin with and they find out that the Mags are evil and they throw that at ya also. It was a few years ago and my Son got stopped by a Cop for speeding or something and being a young punk,,they gave him a hard time, when looking through "My" truck they found a M-14 Mag (Real Deal GI 20RD) in the side door pocket,,my kid said the Cop about freaked out and asked WTF is this,:eek: my Son said a Mag for one of my Dads rifles and that was it,,through it back in the truck,,,no hassle,,Son drove away !! Bottom line is do the right thing,,make sure your mags are as they should be and don't do anything to attract excessive attention to yourself and you will be fine !! :)