PDA

View Full Version : Thoughts on Ruger SP101

jhs1969
01-12-11, 01:42
Thinking of getting one. Any thoughts or experiences to share?

oef24
01-12-11, 01:47
Get it. Go with the spurless hammer if you plan on carrying it in a pocket. Also look into some boot grips for CCW. It has enough weight to fire full pop loads which can be brutal with smaller and lighter S&W's. It is a workhorse.

O

ChicagoTex
01-12-11, 03:09
It's bigger than I like for pocket carry, but other people make it work, so theoretically it can be done.

Also, SP101s are considerably heavier than Aluminum/Scandium Smiths. If you intend to carry in the pocket or in an ankle holster it's something to seriously consider. For belt or shoulder holster carry it's a non-problem.

The stock grips don't work for me AT ALL, but one of the big advantages of revolvers is the extreme variety with grip size/shape you can get, so that's not exactly a deal breaker.

Some people have complained the trigger guard is a little sharp and it cuts their knuckle under recoil, some light sanding can correct this problem if you experience it.

Otherwise not much to say beyond some of the factors instrinsic to snubbies, namely:

-Capacity sucks and reloads are slow
-Shooting them effectively in double-action requires a lot of practice.
-and the sights are generally terrible

Also, should you choose to shoot .357 Mag, it's unbelieveably loud.

Robb Jensen
01-12-11, 05:46
The SP101 is a nice gun. I'd like to get one in .327 Magnum.

JHC
01-12-11, 08:28
I carried one for a few years. My opine is that its a well made revolver but too big and heavy for what it does. .357 mag from a 5 shot snub - is not enough more than a .38 from a smaller lighter 5 shot snub to be worth it. Since I would only carry a such a gun in pocket or ankle - belt being capable of carrying a G26 on up in size and capability - the SP101 serves no purpose to me.

I am not a fan of the longer trigger reset on this Rugers DA pull vs a J frame either.

C-grunt
01-12-11, 08:48
I had one for a while. Great gun but a little to big for what I wanted it for, pocket carry. I traded it out to get a Smith J frame but that was a decision based on my needs, not any faults of the gun. As a smaller belt holstered gun it is great, especially the 3 inch barrel.

Terry
01-12-11, 09:10
I have owned a SP101, 2.25" bbl'd, 357 for at least 8, maybe 10 yrs.
I do not consider it a "pocket carry" revolver, much to heavy for me.
Mine has been reasonably acurrate, and very reliable in the 1000 or so rounds I have put through mine.
The only reliability issue I have had is cheap reloads coming loose in the cylinder and locking it up.
I shoot 38+P exclusively now, and it is very controlable.
I carry OWB.
It hides well, but it's still heavy.

moonshot
01-12-11, 09:15
Great gun for what it is. Will handle +p .38's all day with very manageable recoil. Magnums are another story. The SP101 handles them equally well, but recoil is sharp and LOUD! Sights are fine - fast and strong. Everything about this gun is strength.

A little too big and heavy for pocket or ankle carry. Great in an IWB, but if you will carry this way, you may want to consider a 3" barrel GP100.

The GP100 has the weight to dampen the recoil of full house magnums, but it too is a very heavy gun.

If you will be shooting .38's only, go for the SP, if you think you will be using magnums, think hard on the GP.

One other thing I've noticed about both the SP and the GP - if you do not let the trigger return forward completely, the trigger can lock up. It must be returned completely forward. There are two noticable "clicks" when ther trigger is returned. I don't know enough about revolvers to know what is causing these clicks, but I know you need both for the gun to fire a subsequent round. Fast DA shooting, or staging the trigger for SA work (especially if the gun is DAO) makes it easier to forget to do this and not get the next round off.

You can make any revolver not fire if you try, but I found it easier with my SP and GP. Perhaps it's just me.

jhs1969
01-12-11, 10:51
Thanks guys. I don't intend any pocket or ankle carry. I will be using either a belt holster or belly band. I had a Smith Airweight but it fell out of favor with me, the light weight made recoil a little sharper than I would like. I am assuming the added weight and strength of the SP will make it a slightly better shooter with the option of carrying .357. The only pocket carry it would see would be in an outer jacket/coat pocket for winter carry. I am also assuming that a heavier jacket/coat should have no problem with this. Mild weather carry would be strictly belt or belly band. Am I missing anything here?

ChicagoTex
01-12-11, 11:31
I will be using either a belt holster or belly band.

In that case I really gotta do my due diligence and take the time to point out that a Glock 26, M&P9 Compact, HK P2000SK and similar guns are comparable in size and weight, but carry more than double the capacity in a more effective round (than .38 Spl.) in a package that's much easier to carry spare ammo for and reload.

I realize you're probably asking about the SP101 because for some reason you've decided you just like revolvers better and that's fine, but my conscience dictates I point out that given your size, weight, and carry specifications there are much more objectively better suited choices for your application.

I am also assuming that a heavier jacket/coat should have no problem with this.

Should be fine as long as you keep the jacket zipped.

Moose-Knuckle
01-12-11, 16:51
I use to carry one for my CCW. They are great little guns. I swaped out the factory grip for the Hogue. Hogue make it feel like an extension of your own arm.

ArRazorback
01-12-11, 16:53
My experience is limited to S&W wheel guns, but I seem to remember a post on Grant Cunningham's blog explaining that an SP101 was his preferred carry gun because the action had fewer potential failure points than a Colt or S&W.

blackboar
01-12-11, 19:46
I have a SP101 that I purchased a couple months ago. I've only put about 100 rounds of .38 spl through it so far. The one thing I did not like about the stock gun was the trigger. I had my local gunsmith at Engage Armament in MD install a set of Wolff Springs in it and smooth it out for me. The shooter's pack comes with 3 springs, in 9, 10, and 12 pounds. I opted for the 10 pound spring. Since that change, the gun shoots very well. The reset is much better than stock.

I probably won't put a whole lot of rounds through this gun, nor do I carry it. But I will shoot it occasionally and will post if I get any light strikes with the current set up.

kmrtnsn
01-12-11, 21:40
I wouldn't hesitate to buy a GP-100 or SP-101 in .357. Solid performer, perfect for backpacking or home defense.

bigghoss
01-12-11, 22:19
it's a bit heavier than most but if you actually want to shoot .357s from it you will appreciate that. they are built to last.

jhs1969
01-13-11, 00:33
In that case I really gotta do my due diligence and take the time to point out that a Glock 26, M&P9 Compact, HK P2000SK and similar guns are comparable in size and weight, but carry more than double the capacity in a more effective round (than .38 Spl.) in a package that's much easier to carry spare ammo for and reload.

I realize you're probably asking about the SP101 because for some reason you've decided you just like revolvers better and that's fine, but my conscience dictates I point out that given your size, weight, and carry specifications there are much more objectively better suited choices for your application.

Should be fine as long as you keep the jacket zipped.

Actually I prefer autos and have carried a G26, M&P9c, HK P2000 and currently carry a G19. However, for some reason, I find a 5 shot snub nose revolver smaller and easier to carry concealed. Even more so than the G26 and 9c. I feel it may be due to the auto thickness, the autos have basically the same thickness for the whole gun while a snub only feels thick through the cylinder. I don't know if this makes any sense but it has been my impression. The snub has been much easier for me to carry in summer weather, which is the main reason for looking at a SP101. In cooler weather I prefer my G19.

I also realize the smaller light weight snubs are even easier to carry and used to own an Airweight but the SP101 seems it would be a better shooter with the option to up it's power by carrying .357s.

Again, thanks for the replies and keep the thoughts coming.

keysersoze
01-13-11, 09:18
although the trigger improves with a lot of use, you can help it along with some Wolff trigger springs, i got some from Brownell's. the trigger pull improved dramatically, so i was able to get better hits. :D

cbr
01-14-11, 02:46
Ruger makes an awesome revolver. I have owned both the SP101 and GP 100, and they are both built like tanks. I find the SP101 to be quite managable with full power .357 mag loads. Like others mentioned, I also put the Wolf spring kits in mine, and it make the pull almost as good as a S&W in my opinion. As others mentioned, it is kind of a big heavy gun for what it is, but that weight really helps with the recoil. The rugers are super easy to field strip and clean also. If you like wheel guns, I think they are hard to beat.

John_Wayne777
01-14-11, 07:14
I also realize the smaller light weight snubs are even easier to carry and used to own an Airweight but the SP101 seems it would be a better shooter with the option to up it's power by carrying .357s.

I don't know how much you can "up" the power of a snubnose revolver. There's only so much you can do with around a 2" barrel in terms of better terminal ballistics. DocGKR is the ballistics expert, but I don't think that even .357 magnum loads fired through a snub offer anything more than more recoil and muzzle flash. As far as I know, the Speer 135 grain +P load offers the best snub performance on the market and the S&W lightweight J frames will handle it just fine.

DHart
01-14-11, 07:25
The SP101 is certainly a beefy little bruiser that can take abuse. Mine only gets chosen for those sh!t applications where I wouldn't want to subject a 640 to the abuse.

I think you should consider the 640-1, which carries better, feels better in the hand (for me), can be fired from within a pocket if necessary, and offers what I think is a nicer user experience. Not that the 101 isnt up to the job, because it is. I just appreciate the 640's finesse and style much more. With the Pachmayr grips, shooting .357 from this gun is actually a not-unpleasant experience.

http://i397.photobucket.com/albums/pp59/zmonki/S%20and%20W%20Revos/640_LF2677.jpg

ucrt
01-14-11, 09:33

Wasn't there reports on this Forum about the SP101 barrel/frame joint cracking? I remember reports about barrels basically falling out of the frame...but I could be wrong?

JHC
01-14-11, 09:37
I think you're mistaken and thinking of a security agency that had some new S&W K frame revolvers fail in such a manner.

ChicagoTex
01-14-11, 12:58
I don't know how much you can "up" the power of a snubnose revolver. There's only so much you can do with around a 2" barrel in terms of better terminal ballistics. DocGKR is the ballistics expert, but I don't think that even .357 magnum loads fired through a snub offer anything more than more recoil and muzzle flash. As far as I know, the Speer 135 grain +P load offers the best snub performance on the market and the S&W lightweight J frames will handle it just fine.

What I can tell you is shooting .357s out of a snub does up the fps by about 100-200. However, given the fact that Doc's research has strongly indicated that the 200-300 or so fps boost one sees going from a 9mm +P to a .357 SIG doesn't significantly improve actual terminal performance, I'm not sure how actually useful those extra couple hundred fps might be in the overall context of things.

I will say that when I owned a snub (Smith 442-1), I ran the Speer 135gr +Ps. If I felt going up to .357 would've brought anything more for me than prodigious noise and flash, I would've bought a .357.

So in a roundabout way, I agree with you, I believe that going with .357 in a snub is largely, if not entirely, wasted effort, but I can't prove it without some extensive testing because on a strict statistical basis the .357 should help.

John_Wayne777
01-14-11, 13:53
That's my concern. With a .357 magnum you would obviously get a bit more velocity...but often with handgun ammo more does not necessarily translate into better performance on the other end of the barrel. On a 6" Model 27 shooting heavy bullets the .357 magnum is very potent. From a 2" barrel with lighter bullets...well...not so much.

Tomahawk_Ghost
01-14-11, 14:24
I carried one 14 years ago. Weight, low capacity and slow reload time made me trade it for a Glock 26.

DHart
01-14-11, 16:21
I carried one 14 years ago. Weight, low capacity and slow reload time made me trade it for a Glock 26.

My thinking as well.

Much as I like the 640, I'd take a G26 or a even a PM9 over a 5-shot wheel gun any day.... except the snub still rules as a coat pocket gun you can hold in your hand, ready to fire, through the coat if necessary, without potential threats being any the wiser that you are armed and ready to shoot instantly. This, for me, is the one application where I will still use a wheelgun. Otherwise, a G26 or, at the extreme, a PM9 is as small as I have any need to go.

BobM
01-15-11, 09:03
I carried one as a backup quite a bit but eventually started using a compact M&P. I still have it though and use it as a coat pocket gun once in a while.

brushy bill
01-15-11, 15:24
My opine is that its a well made revolver but too big and heavy for what it does.

#1 This