PDA

View Full Version : Vickers Tactical AK Operators Class - Nov 19-20, 2011 - South Hill, VA

VA_Dinger
01-12-11, 06:46
Vickers Tactical AK Operators Class - Nov 19-20, 2011 - South Hill, VA

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v74/va_dinger/vickers-tactical-logo.jpg

www.vickerstactical.com

http://i143.photobucket.com/albums/r147/VickersTactical/LAVAK1.jpg

Larry Vickers is a retired career special operations soldier with 20-plus years of service to our country. A longtime 1st SFOD- Delta operational member, he was a key player in the small arms marksmanship expertise and weapons selection of that Unit. He brings a very unique set of skills to the market, and has a wide and varied background in the firearms industry.

Select Special Operations , Military, and Law Enforcement Units seek him out on a regular basis for expert combat marksmanship training. Considered one of the best combat marksmanship instructors in the U.S, he has become one of the most sought after instructors in the Worldwide Special Operations community.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v74/va_dinger/logo.jpg

Grey Group Training:
www.greygrouptraining.com

Vickers Tactical AK Operators Class - Nov 19-20, 2011 - South Hill, VA

Topics covered include safety, stance, zeroing for iron sights and optics, sight alignment and trigger control. Familiarization with their carbine includes field stripping and maintenance. Other subject matter that is covered includes reloads, presentation, shooting positions, and introduction to different skill drills including dry fire and bullseye shooting. Malfunction drills and shooting on the move as well as transitions. Timed fire drills and evaluations based on class skill level. Instruction on the development of the AK and variations, as well as suggested modifications.

Must shoot an AK or AK variant (AK-47, AKM-47, AK-74, Galil, Valmet, VZ 58 style rifles, etc.)

Instructor: Larry Vickers

Class dates: Nov 19-20, 2011

Cost: $450

Gear requirements:

- Eye protection
- Electronic hearing protection
- Serviceable handgun (For transition training) of at least 9mm
- Ammunition required: 800 rifle, 150 pistol
- Minimum four (4) high capacity AK mags
- Minimum two (2) handgun mags
- Chest pouch to hold 3-4 AK mags would be “Nice” – LAV quote
- Handgun mag pouch - Ability to carry a spare pistol mag on body.
- Serviceable AK sling- suitable for a variety of shooting positions - tactical type preferred
- Suitable handgun holster
- Suitable range wear depending on the season
- Rifles zeroed at 100 meters.
- Good attitude.

***There are no pre-requisites for this course. It can be your very first class. As a matter of fact if you are familiar with AK’s at all, you will probably be ahead of the curve. That being said this is not a beginner class either, in Larry's words "This class will knock their socks off"***

If you are interested in attending this class please use this link to the Grey Group Training sign-up page:
http://stores.greygrouptraining.com/-strse-3676/LAV-2-dsh-Day-AK-Operator/Detail.bok

If you have any additional questions please feel free to contact me;
training@greygrouptraining.com

m4fun
01-19-11, 23:35
I was waiting for this class - can it be a "level 2?"

BaronFitz
03-03-11, 21:44
I'm seriously considering this course...although I'm a little leery of it moving around again on the calendar. I was about to press the trigger on the October date when it was rescheduled to November. (There's a reason GnR's song is called "November Rain".)

Everybody thinks rain's no big deal, except guys like me that can't find rain pants that are long enough in the legs without having the waist be big enough for two of me.

TOrrock
03-04-11, 06:22
Dinger, is this class back at South Hill, or is it in Carthage, NC?

VA_Dinger
03-04-11, 06:48
Dinger, is this class back at South Hill, or is it in Carthage, NC?

It's at South Hill, VA.

I just fixed the class title. Thanks for catching my typo.

:D

M4arc
03-04-11, 07:35
This is one of those can't miss classes! This is my favorite Larry class.

Hawkeye
03-04-11, 12:14
Tagged for possible interest.

M4arc
03-04-11, 12:39
Tagged for possible interest.

What The What? Well look who finally wised up and bought an AK :p

BiggLee71
04-15-11, 09:35
Dinger, if there are any slots left, count me in!!! Its been awhile since I've done a Larry class at South Hill!

VA_Dinger
04-26-11, 20:22
Dinger, if there are any slots left, count me in!!! Its been awhile since I've done a Larry class at South Hill!

Welcome aboard my friend. We have spots available, just follow the link to sign-up.

I am seriously looking forward to this class myself.

Jellybean
04-28-11, 16:33
Is there any way I could get an address?
I know it's a private facility, and all.....
The reason I ask is I'm not far from SH, and I'm kind of curious for future reference, as it would be a much easier location to get to for a class.

Also, is there any way to find out how many slots are left for this class? I know some folks who are interested in AKs, myself included, but November is kind of a long ways away to really commit yet. It would be nice to be able to keep an eye on how fast this is filling up in case things change.

VA_Dinger
04-28-11, 17:39
Is there any way I could get an address?
I know it's a private facility, and all.....
The reason I ask is I'm not far from SH, and I'm kind of curious for future reference, as it would be a much easier location to get to for a class.

Also, is there any way to find out how many slots are left for this class? I know some folks who are interested in AKs, myself included, but November is kind of a long ways away to really commit yet. It would be nice to be able to keep an eye on how fast this is filling up in case things change.

No problem on the range address, just PM me.

At the moment this class is about half full.

During sign-up we only require a 20% deposit. The remainder is not required until the class start date is 3-5 days out.

chris914
04-28-11, 20:01
I think me and the 105 are down for this one. Should be a great time. Wonder if Brian at Atomic Dog can do a holster for my Tokarev?

Shawn.L
04-28-11, 20:46
I think me and the 105 are down for this one. Should be a great time. Wonder if Brian at Atomic Dog can do a holster for my Tokarev?

lolz............. and a combo AK/Tok mag pouch too :)

I came soooooooo close to buying an AK this past week, and the funny part is I priced in all the normal accesories:
Gun base cost
FFL fee
Min 5 mags to start
Sling
Vickers AK class
Ammo
maybe a ultimac/H-1/light set up

you know........... the basics ;)

VA_Dinger
06-03-11, 20:03
lolz............. and a combo AK/Tok mag pouch too :)

I came soooooooo close to buying an AK this past week, and the funny part is I priced in all the normal accesories:
Gun base cost
FFL fee
Min 5 mags to start
Sling
Vickers AK class
Ammo
maybe a ultimac/H-1/light set up

you know........... the basics ;)

Trust me, this is one Vickers Tactical class that should not be missed. :D

I would skip the Aimpoint, Ulti-Mak, light for now and just shoot a bone stock AK.

Shawn.L
06-03-11, 20:14
Trust me, this is one Vickers Tactical class that should not be missed. :D

I would skip the Aimpoint, Ulti-Mak, light for now and just shoot a bone stock AK.

And since I have a AK on the way ........
I gotta see if I can make this class

I've heard nothing but great things about Larry's instruction on the platform .

VA_Dinger
07-20-11, 07:39

No question about it.

This is hands down one of my favorite classes every year.

Grizzly16
07-20-11, 07:54
I wish this was closer to arkansas. Stupid plane tickets make this a very expensive but still tempting class.

chupa88
08-16-11, 09:46
Any updates on how full the class is right now? I'm thinking of driving down from the northeast to take this.

firearmslawyer
08-16-11, 14:28
After experiencing how great the recent (July 9-10) 2 day AR course was in PA, I had to sign up so I could get properly schooled on the AK platform. Now I need an AK worthy of the class.

Not to hijack the thread but Larry, what top shelf rifle do you suggest I get and what optics should I put on it (if any) for the class. In short, What Would Larry Do? Want to do it right the first time.

Thanks guys.

Chris Thomas

TOrrock
08-18-11, 08:07
After experiencing how great the recent (July 9-10) 2 day AR course was in PA, I had to sign up so I could get properly schooled on the AK platform. Now I need an AK worthy of the class.

Not to hijack the thread but Larry, what top shelf rifle do you suggest I get and what optics should I put on it (if any) for the class. In short, What Would Larry Do? Want to do it right the first time.

Thanks guys.

Chris Thomas

Chris, so we don't hijack any further, spend some times on the threads found in the sticky here in the Other Assault Rifles section.

AK Knowledge Base Threads (https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=30850)

:cool:

d90king
08-18-11, 16:17
And since I have a AK on the way ........
I gotta see if I can make this class

Its one of my favorite LAV classes. We had a great time at the class a couple years back when I brought a Russian buddy of mine down.

"Shooter Ready... Beep" lol

This is the setup you wanna run, its tits.
http://i156.photobucket.com/albums/t5/d90king/arsenal2.jpg

VA_Dinger
08-19-11, 11:38
Any updates on how full the class is right now? I'm thinking of driving down from the northeast to take this.

Yes Sir, we have some open seats available. Please feel free to sign-up. If you have any questions just ask. I am always glad to help.

Thanks,

Paul

VA_Dinger
08-19-11, 11:43

Thanks guys.

Chris Thomas

Hello Chris, as long as your AK runs reliably Larry will not care.

You will see a good mix of AK's in this class. Everything from tricked out modern AK's (Aimpoint, improved safety, white light, etc), box stock high end AK's (Arsenal & various custom builders), to the reliable WASR's, Romanian SAR series, Century builds, etc. Pick your poison and come out and train with us. :D

firearmslawyer
08-19-11, 15:50
Templar:

Thanks for the link to the informative threads!! Absolutely what I needed.

Dinger, I have already signed up. I should have all my buck tags filled by then so shouldn't mind missing a weekend from the November woods. See you guys then!

Chris T.

KC_in_Bama
09-06-11, 03:47
Signed up and really looking forward to my first LAV class. See you guys at class!

jamesavery22
09-20-11, 09:55
Peaked the interest of a few buddies for this. Can students rent AKs?
Tempted to let a friend borrow an AK. Asking in case I dont...

VA_Dinger
09-20-11, 20:57
Peaked the interest of a few buddies for this. Can students rent AKs?
Tempted to let a friend borrow an AK. Asking in case I dont...

Hello jamesavery22, we do not have any rental weapons at the South Hill range. Sorry.

jamesavery22
09-21-11, 09:25
Hello jamesavery22, we do not have any rental weapons at the South Hill range. Sorry.

Appreciate the reply. How many spots are left?

chupa88
09-29-11, 13:04
What about the Sig 556R? Would this be acceptable in the AK class?

subzero
10-03-11, 13:16
Bring it! The AK classes I have been to have mini-clinics on the various iterations and models of the AK. As far as I know, no one has ever brought out a Sig, though they have been discussed.

I would bring another gun though, if I were you.

xcibes
10-12-11, 22:14
Really looking forward to this class.

TOrrock
10-13-11, 09:10
Paul, PM sent on some stuff.

VA_Dinger
10-19-11, 20:38
What about the Sig 556R? Would this be acceptable in the AK class?

No way we could keep a Sig out of the class. :D

You're good to go.

chupa88
10-20-11, 06:55
No way we could keep a Sig out of the class. :D

You're good to go.

I was hoping to pick one up but not sure if I can pull it off for the class. Maybe you guys can get Sig to supply a loaner for the class!

:)

230therapy
10-30-11, 09:11
Perfect timing since I'm dressing up an AK with a TWS rail and TA33R-13 ACOG.

I'm checking to see if I can take some vacation for it.

230therapy
10-30-11, 12:49
What is the maximum distance we can shoot on this range? I'd like to try the ACOG out to 300 or 400 yards if at all possible.

TOrrock
10-30-11, 13:50
What is the maximum distance we can shoot on this range? I'd like to try the ACOG out to 300 or 400 yards if at all possible.

The walk back drills can get about 200 yards max.

chupa88
11-04-11, 15:13
Just signed up. Now to plan a 12 hr drive...

TOrrock
11-11-11, 07:56
There will be a select fire Galil and maybe a few subguns making an appearance.

If you'd like to get some trigger time, bring some quality factory (NO RELOADS) brass cased 5.56mm.

KC_in_Bama
11-14-11, 20:49
Just signed up. Now to plan a 12 hr drive...

I feel your pain brother! It's about a 9-10 hour drive for me. It'll be worth it I'm sure!

TOrrock
11-23-11, 10:59
Excellent class, I think more than a few shooters learned some valuable lessons about the Kalashnikov.

I believe BaronFitz is working on an AAR.