PDA

View Full Version : Which Droid should I get on Verizon?

M4arc
01-12-11, 11:17
First, don't even mention an iPhone.

Now that we got that out of the way which Droid should I get on Verizon? I like the Pro because of the Blackberry-ish keyboard but the X has my interest spiked as well. What about the Incredible or the Samsungs?

Thanks.

spamsammich
01-12-11, 11:25
While I don't have a Verizon Droid, I have a Galaxy S phone from Tmobile. While it is a pretty powerful phone, I have been EXTREMELY disappointed in Samsung's rollout of updates for the OS software. I've had this phone since July with no update to Froyo in sight. I've had the opportunity to play around with an Incredible from Verizon and it was a pretty good phone for its time. I also had some time on a Droid X and if I were to get any Verizon Droid, I'd probably get that. Phones smaller than the Galaxy S and Droid series are difficult for me to type on.

SHIVAN
01-12-11, 11:26
I like the Droid X because is has the ability to act as a hotspot for other devices.

The Pro does do it, I see, but I don't like the standard QWERTY deal. I guess that's a preference.

Currently have the iPhone on ATT and the Mifi2200 on Verizon.

jklaughrey
01-12-11, 11:30
Built by HTC. They are really quite durable. I have dropped, thrown, and even submerged mine for a brief time(thrown in pool). Still works, although mine might actually be covered in pixie dust!

M4arc
01-12-11, 11:33
While I don't have a Verizon Droid, I have a Galaxy S phone from Tmobile. While it is a pretty powerful phone, I have been EXTREMELY disappointed in Samsung's rollout of updates for the OS software. I've had this phone since July with no update to Froyo in sight. I've had the opportunity to play around with an Incredible from Verizon and it was a pretty good phone for its time. I also had some time on a Droid X and if I were to get any Verizon Droid, I'd probably get that. Phones smaller than the Galaxy S and Droid series are difficult for me to type on.

You have to get updates from the manufacture and not directly from Google?

Zhurdan
01-12-11, 11:38
Droid X is HUGE!!! If you don't mind the size, they're cool as hell.

I carry an Incredible. Very tough as mentioned before (dropped it in the toilet, dried it out... still works. Don't ask for more details hehe) I bought the Shell/Holder combo thingy (http://www.verizonwireless.com/b2c/store/accessory?&action=accessoryDetails&accessoryId=44942) to protect it. Works great for the bumps and drops that happen to phones.

Operating system is slick as shit once you learn all the nuances. I'd say it took me about a month to get comfortable with all the different things you can do with it. Still finding new stuff all the time after 7 months.

The apps available vary from Friggin' awesome (usually around $5) to What the hell were they thinking. Always check to see if there's a limited demo before buying, or check their webpage for details.

lethal dose
01-12-11, 11:41
I have the original HTC droid Eris. Awesome phone. The thing has been beat up and down. Way faster then my friends' 3g iphones. Runs great. I have no complaints whatsoever other then batt life... the new ones are supposed to be better.

Erik 1
01-12-11, 11:50
I have the Droid X. I love the functionality and the large screen. It is fantastic for surfing the net. It even carries ok. The only two things I don't like are the touch screen typing and the camera. The camera is not as good as I expected it to be and very awkward to use one-handed and/or on the move. Touch screen typing sucks no matter what, for me. Other people have no problem. I have thought about trading the Droid X in on the Droid 2. The screen is almost as big and it has a pull out keypad. I don't know if the camera is any different or better.

stifled
01-12-11, 11:53

The HTC phones all use a custom interface that HTC calls Sense. It's a good interface that I've read fixes some quirks with the stock Android OS (I'm not sure what, I use an HTC Incredible). As a result, HTC releases updates to the carriers and then carriers roll them out. I've been extremely happy with the updates from HTC so far--the only complaint I had with the phone initially was poor battery life, but mine was doubled by a single update after the phone model was a month old. The advantage to Sense is that all HTC phones use the same interface regardless of the OS, so if Windows 7 phones shape up (and they actually seem pretty decent) and you want one for your next phone, you might not have to relearn a smart phone interface.

I've dropped my HTC Incredible a few times onto concrete, rolled onto it doing drills if I forget to take it out, etc, and it is no worse for the wear.

Oh, whatever you get make sure it has a dual core processor. Google is saying that a dual core processor will be a requirement for newer versions of Android OS, so if you're buying now, future-proof now!

John_Wayne777
01-12-11, 12:23

Have to, no. If you're sufficiently fluent in geek you can brows the various android forums and find packages of updates that you can install by brute force on your android powered phone.

As I understand things, every phone manufacturer has certain customizations they make to the OS to run their hardware. Some (like HTC) even write their own custom GUI for the OS. Thus when a new version of android is released the question becomes whether or not the manufacturer of your phone will release a package for that model that installs over the air.

I have one of the original Motorolla Droid phones, for instance, and it took Motorolla a little bit of time to release OTA (over the air) updates to the OS on the phone, but they've been good about doing that consistently. I'm currently running android 2.2.1...which is the latest version as far as I know. Some android phones released earlier than my Droid by other manufacturers are still on 1.5.x. The users are stuck there unless they root the phone and install a new OS themselves...which could potentially be ugly.

I would look around and see what manufacturers have a good track record of doing updates if the update issue concerns you.

Rmplstlskn
01-12-11, 13:09
I have a Droid X since Day 1 of the release... Here are my thoughts as a tech person that doesn't really have need for all the Droid can do... and it can do a lot!

1. The SWYPE technology is awesome! It makes texting so incredibly fast, faster than a "normal" person could ever be on a keypad. All you do is slide your finger back and forth over the letters on the screen keyboard and it "interpretes" the word you are doing and adds it in... It even adds punctuation and capitilization, as it knows what you are typing. On wierd words, you can always tap the screen on each letter or symbol... My favorite feature...

2. Running latest Android 2.2...
3. Tough! I am impressed so far...
4. I get 1 day average out of one charge if I use it often, two days if just on idle doing email tasks, updates, etc...
5. Some GREAT APPS!
6. Very nice camera and HD Video...
7. Large, but fits in chest pocket nicely. The little bump where camera is makes pulling the droid out of a pocket easy...

Cons:
1. Easy to get fingers in way of camera lens...
2. Some apps, just like on computers, suck, and cause OS problems. Had to restore my Droid twice to factory load.
3. Very rare crashes, but I have had times where I had to power off and restart...
4. WiFi Hotspot sucks the battery dry QUICK!

jaydoc1
01-12-11, 13:14
Droid X is my third Android powered phone from Verizon after being with an original iPhone through the iPhone 3GS.

The Droid X is, without doubt, my favorite. I use it for absolutely everything and the amount of screen real estate is amazing. It is blindingly fast. Battery life is great for a phone with a screen this size. One day of battery life for what is basically a small laptop computer is amazing.

I can absolutely recommend the X.

orionz06
01-12-11, 13:43
Word from a friend is that there are two new amazing devices coming in February.

SPARTAN HOPLITE ARMS
01-12-11, 13:55
Wait for the HTC Thunderbolt and all the new 4G LTE phones to come out. Those should be amazing. That's what I'm waiting for and hopefully I can download songs onto them to run through the interface in my car. Otherwise I'll either consider the verizon iphone 4 or wait for the iphone 5 which shouldn't be too far off.

kwelz
01-12-11, 14:02
First, don't even mention an iPhone.

iPhone

Please don't ban me...

Palmguy
01-12-11, 14:31
Go with an HTC or Motorola device if you ask me.

Any Android device can be a mobile hotspot. You may have to enter the geek side of things as JW alluded to if you want to get this functionality, but it's really very easy if you are capable of following directions. Carrier-sanctioned functionality of this sort usually carries an additional monthly charge.

If I was going Verizon, I'd get the X. I'm on Sprint and have the 4G Evo, which is roughly equivalent to the X if you look at the specs. This is my second Android phone and the current gen of hardware is a vast improvement over the first gen. The big screen is fantastic and the 1GHz processor is smokin'.

I was hesitant to get a phone without a physical keyboard but I don't miss it anymore. One of my coworkers doesn't even use the physical keyboard on his Droid anymore. Swype does work very well.

VooDoo6Actual
01-12-11, 14:52
Droid X

M4arc
01-12-11, 15:10
iPhone

Please don't ban me...

No, no worries. It just that the iPhone is easy to figure out. There's one and that's it. All the Driod models confuse me so that's way I wanted to keep this thread focused on the Droids. The iPhone is still a possibility for me; the Mrs is definitely getting one next month.

mnoe82
01-12-11, 15:11
I've had the original Droid, the HTC Evo, and the Droid X.

The Evo was really bad for me. I had a total of 4 of them before I changed to a different model.

The X is really as good as a phone could be. I can't imagine a task that the screen size and processor speed couldnt handle. It's the best phone I've ever owned (iPhone 3G, iPhone 4 included).

It is large but fits fine in a front or back pocket even with this Otterbox Case (http://www.otterbox.com/DROID-X-by-Motorola-Defender-Series-Case/MOT2-DRODX,default,pd.html?dwvar_MOT2-DRODX_color=20&start=1&cgid=droid-x-by-motorola-cases) on it.

I love the X and highly recommend it.

Abraxas
01-12-11, 15:25
Droid X
Chatter box;):D

Tagging since I am looking as well

variablebinary
01-12-11, 15:30
I'd go Droid X if I were on Verizon and buying a phone today.

However, check if you have LTE in your area. If you do, wait a couple of months and get an LTE Droid model. Once you go 4G, it is hard to go back.

The downside of Android is if you want the true Google Experience, you'll need to get a Nexus One or Nexus S, both of which offer true vanilla android (The best Android), and all the slick updates.

Getting any other phone, means you're lucky to get one android update, and you'll wait forever to get it usually due to all the funky UI customizations and bloatware phone manufacturers put on their phones.

For example, I have an HTC Hero. I got an update from 1.6 to 2.1, and the update was shit and wrecked my phone's performance. HTC has zero intentions of giving me 2.2, so I either have to get a new phone or root my phone and install a custom rom which typically means your camera, bluetooth or some other function will cease to work. Not to mention you void your warranty

On a side note, Verizon gets the IPhone next month, so once you get to the store play with both and see what floats your boat more

M4arc
01-12-11, 15:37
However, check if you have LTE in your area. If you do, wait a couple of months and get an LTE Droid model. Once you go 4G, it is hard to go back.

It's not coming here anytime soon but its coming to DC where I spend a good bit of time so could I still get a 4G HTC (when available) even if I spend most of my time in a 3G area? Will Verizon even offer the Thunderbolt in my area?

variablebinary
01-12-11, 15:46
It's not coming here anytime soon but its coming to DC where I spend a good bit of time so could I still get a 4G HTC (when available) even if I spend most of my time in a 3G area? Will Verizon even offer the Thunderbolt in my area?

Thunderbolt is going to be Verizon's flagship android LTE phone, so I can't see it not being made available in your area.

Nice specs too. For now...In the fall the first dual core Tegra 2x LG phones should be dropping and they will crush everything.

I'm curious to see how Verizon will price LTE phone access. Sprint charges $10 for unlimited access; I sucked down about 120gig between my phone and home devices last month.

GermanSynergy
01-12-11, 15:52
I love my Droid 2.

d90king
01-12-11, 16:18
iPhone 4, sorry had to do it to ya!:haha:

M4arc
01-12-11, 16:47

Bastard!

:D

variablebinary
01-12-11, 16:56

I think it is utterly retarded that the Verizon iPhone isn't LTE capable.

So either there will be an iPhone5 this year, meaning iPhone4 users will be screwed. Or iPhone four users will be waiting a year for an LTE model while all the android users will be rolling along on LTE.

There is no way in hell I would buy an iPhone on Verizon until they get their LTE situation figured out.

kwelz
01-12-11, 17:03

Not really. There will be a new iPhone in the summer. This is just to get it out there. I will be switching myself but am waiting till the next revision.

Palmguy
01-12-11, 17:21
I've had the original Droid, the HTC Evo, and the Droid X.

The Evo was really bad for me. I had a total of 4 of them before I changed to a different model.

The X is really as good as a phone could be. I can't imagine a task that the screen size and processor speed couldnt handle. It's the best phone I've ever owned (iPhone 3G, iPhone 4 included).

It is large but fits fine in a front or back pocket even with this Otterbox Case (http://www.otterbox.com/DROID-X-by-Motorola-Defender-Series-Case/MOT2-DRODX,default,pd.html?dwvar_MOT2-DRODX_color=20&start=1&cgid=droid-x-by-motorola-cases) on it.

I love the X and highly recommend it.

You switched from VZW to Sprint and back to VZW in a relatively short period of time...what were your problems with the Evo?

I'd go Droid X if I were on Verizon and buying a phone today.

The downside of Android is if you want the true Google Experience, you'll need to get a Nexus One or Nexus S, both of which offer true vanilla android (The best Android), and all the slick updates.

Getting any other phone, means you're lucky to get one android update, and you'll wait forever to get it usually due to all the funky UI customizations and bloatware phone manufacturers put on their phones.

For example, I have an HTC Hero. I got an update from 1.6 to 2.1, and the update was shit and wrecked my phone's performance. HTC has zero intentions of giving me 2.2, so I either have to get a new phone or root my phone and install a custom rom which typically means your camera, bluetooth or some other function will cease to work. Not to mention you void your warranty

Where on earth did you get the idea that you have to lose functionality with custom ROMs? I've got a Hero running 2.2 sitting on my desk right now; camera, BT, and everything else works just fine. The warranty issue isn't a big deal; if you have a problem, the phone can be returned to stock very easily.

variablebinary
01-12-11, 17:24
Where on earth did you get the idea that you have to lose functionality with custom ROMs? I've got a Hero running 2.2 sitting on my desk right now; camera, BT, and everything else works just fine. The warranty issue isn't a big deal; if you have a problem, the phone can be returned to stock very easily.

Which ROM are you running?

Not really. There will be a new iPhone in the summer. This is just to get it out there. I will be switching myself but am waiting till the next revision.

That's my point. If you buy now you risk taking it in the ass by summer with iPhone 5 or have to wait till the next apple show in 2012 for an LTE model.

Ejh28
01-12-11, 17:41
I also have the Galaxy S line on AT&T (Fascinate for Verizon), and while I like the phone, Samsung is terrible about updates. Go with the HTC Incredible, or the Droid X.

I hate having to hack my phone to update it to what other people have been using for 6 months - almost a year.

PS.
Design Gears makes great ROMS. Cognition 2.2 (version 8) here.

Palmguy
01-12-11, 17:53
Which ROM are you running?

That's my point. If you buy now you risk taking it in the ass by summer with iPhone 5 or have to wait till the next apple show in 2012 for an LTE model.

CyanogenMod 6.1. My wife is still using it currently on her phone, I just bought an Evo and put CM on it as well. In the case of the Hero, I'm unaware of any lost functionality (and plenty of added functionality).

I did use the Sprint 2.1 OTA release for a short time and you are absolutely right; it sucked and it is the end of the line for official releases on that phone. I will submit that there is a large element of truth in what you say inasmuch as most users will never root their phone or mess around with flashing new ROMs...and as such are stuck in the official release cycle.

The Hero does see a speed and usability improvement from doing away with HTC's Sense and going with a custom ROM. I wouldn't have used that phone for as long as I did if I was constrained to the OE software. The hardware improvements of the newer phones mitigates that a whole hell of a lot though; my Evo was perfectly usable and fast in stock condition...the extra horsepower of the 1GHz processors and the increase in on board memory really help it out a lot.

d90king
01-12-11, 18:43

So either there will be an iPhone5 this year, meaning iPhone4 users will be screwed. Or iPhone four users will be waiting a year for an LTE model while all the android users will be rolling along on LTE.

There is no way in hell I would buy an iPhone on Verizon until they get their LTE situation figured out.

I did find that very strange also... :confused: It really makes no sense to bring a new product such as this to market, when that product loses one of its strongest features compared to their competitor. If they have a fix (lets assume iphone 5) thats coming down the road, why not simply roll it out then when its ready to shine...

Not sure how 4's will be screwed though as they will continue to be able to enjoy the features that they enjoy now which IMHO are very good. I have owned each gen iphone and feel that I have gotten my moneys worth each time I have invested in one.

I know I'm the odd man out liking Apple products but I'm okay with that.:cool:

Back to the Droid hunt...:D

mnoe82
01-12-11, 19:57
You switched from VZW to Sprint and back to VZW in a relatively short period of time...what were your problems with the Evo?

I typed Evo and meant Eris. Oops. No I've been with Verizon since 1997 when it was called Cellular One.

The iPhones were work provided phones.

chadbag
01-12-11, 20:10

Not to hijack this or get away from the original question and make it an iPhone topic. (But this needs to be explained)

Anyone who THOUGHT that the Verizon iPhone would be LTE has no clue of the market and how Apple works.

Apple will come out with an LTE phone when LTE is ready for mainstream use. Apple sells iPhones all over the world and does not make a different handset for each carrier that sells the iPhone. Up until now, there was just one iPhone 4 and the previous gen iPhone 3GS available. For everyone (not including China where they had a modified version with wifi disabled, but otherwise the same, due to governmental pressure). LTE is not ready for prime time yet on a worldwide or even US wide scale.

Verizon has just started rolling it out. AT&T is starting this year. Neither will be totally up and running this year.

LTE chipsets are immature and probably very power hungry compared to 3G chipsets. The original iPhone was 2G (EDGE) only even though 3G phones had started to ship from other manufacturers. It took a year for Apple to catch up to 3G. And those early 3G phones from other manufacturers had abysmal battery life. Not acceptable for the Apple user experience.

Apple modified the current iPhone 4 for CDMA, which they can also sell in China and India and elsewhere in the world. This started last Spring 2010 from an engineering standpoint when LTE was still a future goal for the carriers and no-one had LTE running except in small scale tests. An LTE phone would require a total re-engineering and design which they have already publicly stated that they were not ready to do yet when this project kicked off last year. The iPhone 4 could be modified to change the radio and some SW programming to make it work. It covers 99% of Verizon customers with 3G.

Apple will come out with LTE phones when they can get an LTE phone to fit their form factor with their battery life requirements and when the LTE market is big enough for Apple to worry about.

I actually doubt we'll see one this year. I bet the iPhone 5 or whatever they call this years iPhone is not LTE. The market is not ready for an LTE iPhone (meaning LTE is not widespread enough across the US or the world to make it worth Apple's effort to come out with one and LTE chipsets are probably not mature enough to fit their form factor and battery life requirements). Apple would have to come out with at least two different versions if it were to come out this year -- a UMTS(GSM)/LTE dual radio and a CDMA/LTE dual radio version. They wait until 2012 they can probably just come out with an LTE version only (or a UMTS/LTE version only since Verizon can use the LTE part and the rest of the world can use UMTS and LTE).

Most Android phones Verizon sells this year will probably not be LTE either, I would bet. That will probably change in 2012 when it is more widespread and ubiquitous. When Verizon first announced LTE a month or two ago it was only the data dongles for laptops. No phones. LTE is an early adopter stage now for the geeks and wannabe geeks, not for mass market.

HES
01-12-11, 20:39
I came from a BB and went with the DroidX when it came out. I love the functionality and the huge screen.

All the Droid phones have mucked around with the interface. Droid has their Sense and Motorola has Motoblur. People generally like or dislike Sense. Nearly everyone thinks that the Motoblur UI sucks.

However if I were you I would hold off unjtil the 4G phones are released. In the mean time head on over to androidcentral and do some research. Here (http://www.androidcentral.com/comparison-verizons-new-lte-lineup-forums) is a list of some of the upcoming phones.

As for keyboard Vs. no keyboard, I made the transition to no keyboard pretty eaisly and now I love the screen real estate.

Stick with Motorola, HTC and you can't go wrong. Samsung might be worth checking out too.

variablebinary
01-12-11, 23:38
I did find that very strange also... :confused: It really makes no sense to bring a new product such as this to market, when that product loses one of its strongest features compared to their competitor. If they have a fix (lets assume iphone 5) thats coming down the road, why not simply roll it out then when its ready to shine...

Not sure how 4's will be screwed though as they will continue to be able to enjoy the features that they enjoy now which IMHO are very good. I have owned each gen iphone and feel that I have gotten my moneys worth each time I have invested in one.

I know I'm the odd man out liking Apple products but I'm okay with that.:cool:

Back to the Droid hunt...:D

I would be livid if I got a 3G iPhone 4 and 6 months later there was an LTE iPhone 5.

It's pretty much the same reason I won't get a Sprint Evo to replace my current phone; I know a better successor is just around the corner.

Either way, there is no way in hell I would get a none 4G phone.

If I were on Verizon, I'd wait for the Thunderbolt. No iPhone or Droid for me. I think the Droid X is a kick ass phone, but it too is midway through its life cycle, and the Thunderbolt is too close to release.

Edit: There is a large rumor brewing that Sprint is going to unveil their 4G iPhone on February 7th. We'll see...anyone notice that Sprint was super quiet at CES

http://an.droid-life.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/01/sprint-event1-600x476.jpg

chadbag
01-13-11, 00:21
Edit: There is a large rumor brewing that Sprint is going to unveil their 4G iPhone on February 7th. We'll see...anyone notice that Sprint was super quiet at CES

I would bet real money that it won't be an iPhone unless it is the same 3G CDMA one that Verizon has. Apple wouldn't do a special one for Sprint. Trust me on this.

David Thomas
01-13-11, 07:31
My experience with the incredible has led me to believe that it lives up to its name. It really is tough. I like everything about it except its battery life.

subzero
01-13-11, 11:50
I came from a BB and went with the DroidX when it came out. I love the functionality and the huge screen.

All the Droid phones have mucked around with the interface. Droid has their Sense and Motorola has Motoblur. People generally like or dislike Sense. Nearly everyone thinks that the Motoblur UI sucks.

However if I were you I would hold off unjtil the 4G phones are released. In the mean time head on over to androidcentral and do some research. Here (http://www.androidcentral.com/comparison-verizons-new-lte-lineup-forums) is a list of some of the upcoming phones.

As for keyboard Vs. no keyboard, I made the transition to no keyboard pretty eaisly and now I love the screen real estate.

Stick with Motorola, HTC and you can't go wrong. Samsung might be worth checking out too.

Great post, and worthy of a re-read.

Of the current phones on Verizon I'd go with the Droid Incredible as the Sense UI is generally better regarded than what Motorola and Samsung use to skin Android. I firmly believe it's software that makes the experience worthwhile when it comes to these things, so it's more important to me than an extra half inch of screen or something like that. Especially when everything's fairly even in terms of hardware.

That having been said, now is a lousy time to buy as everything is in mid-cycle.

The good thing about buying midcycle is you can usually get a decent price on the phone. I think the Incredible are buy one get one free right now, which blows my mind. They were so popular when they came out that there were nationwide shortages.

variablebinary
01-13-11, 11:58
Sense UI absolutely sucks. It's laggy as hell. At least Samsung TouchWiz runs fast. I dumped Sense for Launcher Pro, which is dramatically faster.

Vanilla Android runs the best and fastest. All these overlays suck and wreck the "google experience" and play a big part in why we don't get updates like the Nexus line.

Voodoochild
01-13-11, 15:45
Droid X is the shit...

GlockWRX
01-13-11, 16:24
I love my Droid X. It's been a great phone. My wife has the Samsung Fascinate (or whatever the Galaxy phone on Verizon is) and it's a great phone as well. The X and the Samsung are practically the exact same size. If size is an issue, the Incredible is also an awesome phone.

If you type a ton and want the physical keyboard my personal suggestion is the Droid 2 over the Pro due to screen size. The smaller screen size on the Pro can really harm the multi media experience. But in reality, the screen based keyboards are plenty good.

Some other random observations:

For all intents and purposes, the premier Android phones on Verizon (Fascinate, Droid X, Droid Pro, Droid 2, Incredible) are about the same performance wise. I believe only the Droid Pro and Droid 2 can work internationally though.

The screen on the X is awesome, but the Fascinate screen seems more colorful and vibrant. But the Fascinate image quality suffers pretty bad when a screen protector is used. Don't know why.

I prefer the optical touch buttons on the Fascinate and Incredible versus the physical buttons on the Motorola handsets.

The insurance is worthwhile. My buddy dropped his Evo and had to pay close to $600 to replace it. You don't pay another $200 to get a replacement handset, you pay the off plan price which is well over $500. This also makes cases worth it even though they add bulk.

The Motorblur OS has been significantly reduced on the newer Droids versus the original. All of them still come with bloatware unfortunately, but at least you can keep them off your home screens.

If you can, buy the phones two at a time (meaning get your wife/girlfriend/other to get one too). Verizon has had a buy-one-get-another-of-equal-or-lesser-value deal going for almost six months.

Personally, if I had to decide again today, I'd still get the Droid X over a Verizon iPhone. I'm very happy with the Droid X, Verizon, and the Android system. A close second for me would be the Fascinate. But after CES it appears there is some awesome stuff heading this way like the Droid Bionic and others if you can wait a few months.

jmp45
01-13-11, 17:55
+1 Samsung Fascinate / Galaxy. Wife and I both have the T-Mobile Galaxy. Had G1's prior, like night and day difference, longer battery life too.

ForTehNguyen
01-13-11, 23:21
coming soon if you are in a 4G LTE area:
http://www.droid-life.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/01/bionic-and-thunderbolt.jpg
http://www.droid-life.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/01/bionic-thunderbolt-iphone1-600x340.png

variablebinary
01-14-11, 00:46
Bionic is sick. Dual core is going to change a lot in terms of performance. The GPU will make it an xbox 360 in your pocket.

jaydoc1
01-14-11, 09:04
Bionic is sick. Dual core is going to change a lot in terms of performance. The GPU will make it an xbox 360 in your pocket.

The Bionic is what will most likely replace my Droid X when 4G/LTE becomes available in my area. Just can't go back to iPhone.

HES
01-14-11, 21:28
FYI, Verizon just announced they are killing their "New Every 2" program (LINK (http://finance.yahoo.com/family-home/article/111835/smartmoney-hello-iphone-goodbye-upgrades)) and they are killing the early upgrade for existing customers.

Existing customers get one more shot to use their new every two and then its kaput for them.

ForTehNguyen
01-16-11, 18:26
checked the Verizon 4G LTE website, 4G is available in my area :cool:

Hmac
01-16-11, 19:10
It will be awhile before LTE gets to my area, but that's OK, it will be awhile before the iPhone supports LTE. In the meantime, 3G meets my needs. I'd be more interested it LTE speeds for the iPad - don't really need it for my phone.

Littlelebowski
01-16-11, 19:13
Why aren't people using the Nexus?

variablebinary
01-17-11, 00:00
Why aren't people using the Nexus?

T-Mobile, already outdated by a huge margin, phone made by Samsung

TehLlama
01-17-11, 00:25
Based on this thread and what was available, I picked up a Droid X and set my mother up with a Droid 2 Global.

The DroidX is fantastic, the huge screen works extremely well for me, and once the crapware got punted battery life is a pretty acceptable 2 days.

The camera has a great CCD, but the glass is a big limitation: obviously a point and shoot camera will take better pictures with half the rated megapixel CCD.

I didn't like the Droid2G, but it's ability to take a RUIM/SIM is what my mother needed, and the slide-out keyboard works for her. I wouldn't recommend it, but that's because it is such a thick phone with a small screen, and seems to run slower despite having a faster processor than my X.

Since I don't live in an NFL city, I'm not expecting any significant 700MHz LTE rollout until early 2012, and realistically I don't expect that backbone to reach out into my neck of suburbia until my next contract is coming up anyway.

I am still actively waiting for the first 7" tablet (presumably LTE protocol along with 802.11.n) that can be used along with an external hard drive and full size keyboard (with dock, or however). This would allow my wife to run it as a standalone tablet, as well as use a portable USB hard drive to store classwork, reference material, and more mainstream: media and documents.

Verizon has done a brilliant job with their LTE rollout - capping actual usage to keep the network fast, and allowing the phones to hyperband with their 850MHz to keep data transfer rates high - early adopters can bankroll their new hardware.

The new every 20mo is also well used - dangling a new phone 4 months of any alternative will help minimize outgoing churn on their end, so if they keep this up after the million or so subscribers move over just to get an iPhone-CDMA2k unit they'll be set.