PDA

View Full Version : Change the flash supressor?

Eyefly
01-12-11, 13:52
I have a M&P 15T and I am not too crazy about the standard flash supressor on it. I have been thinking of adding the Smith Vortex. Not that I am having any problems with the stock, I just like the looks of the vortex. Is it worth it?

Iraqgunz
01-12-11, 13:56
I wouldn't replace it simply for looks. What I would do is put one pn there that provides some benefit. Something along the lines of Battle Comp which is much better.

I have a M&P 15T and I am not too crazy about the standard flash supressor on it. I have been thinking of adding the Smith Vortex. Not that I am having any problems with the stock, I just like the looks of the vortex. Is it worth it?

Whootsinator
01-12-11, 13:56
You've already said you don't have any problems with the 'stock' flash hider. Why would you change it if you have no problems? Is it really that important to look 'cooler'? Do you have money to throw away? If yes, sure it's worth spending whatever you're able to get the look you want.

edit - Gunz was quicker on the draw! Maybe if my posts were shorter that would quit happening. :p

ssracer
01-12-11, 14:24
Short posts? You? Never gonna happen...lol

I have the vortex. It's a great flash hider. The battle comp is a great compensator.

JeffWard
01-12-11, 14:24
I wouldn't replace it simply for looks. What I would do is put one pn there that provides some benefit. Something along the lines of Battle Comp which is much better.

Honest question...

Is the Battle Comp THREE times ($) better than the other comps?

Jeff

Iraqgunz
01-12-11, 14:48
That's for you to decide. But, I will say that it provides very good flash reduction, reduces muzzle climb to almost nothing and makes the weapon more controllable. If those things are important to you, then yes.

Honest question...

Jeff

GermanSynergy
01-12-11, 16:08
Having used the Surefire, PWS and other comps, I would say yes.

Nothing comes close to the BC, except for the KAC TT (too rich for my blood presently).

Honest question...

Jeff

kartoffel
01-12-11, 16:48

The Vortex is an outstanding flash hider. Probably the best flash hiding device available short of a sound suppressor. The Battle Comp, on the other hand, is a compensator. Apples and oranges.

Do you want pure flash hiding goodness, or do you want to keep the muzzle as steady as possible for rapid follow-up shots? In the past, it's been argued that compensators have no place on a combat weapon, due to the increased concussion, dust signature and, well, the lack of flash suppression.

It is not pleasant being next to a big obnoxious gamer comp as it's fired. That being said, the Battle Comp really is quite tame in terms of noise and side blast. It's worse than an A2 or Vortex, but then again, it's a compensator. So again, apples and oranges. And yes, I think the BC is alright on a combat weapon.

markm
01-14-11, 08:48
The Vortex is an outstanding flash hider. Probably the best flash hiding device available short of a sound suppressor.

Silencers give off flash. A carbine with a blackout flash hider mount gives of LESS flash with the silencer off than it does with the silencer on. I've seen this first hand.... as well as in rsilver's pics.

As far as the vortex? I'd never remove an A2 in favor of a vortex.

justin_247
01-14-11, 09:58
As far as the vortex? I'd never remove an A2 in favor of a vortex.

Just out of curiosity: why?

What do you think of a Battlecomp on a fighting weapon? Do you think it should be considered for issue?

Mike4Alpha1
01-14-11, 12:22
Checkout the AAC blackout. I love mine personally IMO.

Maybe I'll get castrated for this here, but......what's wrong with buying another flash hider just because you like the looks of it?

Some people do have the money to "waste" on that kind of thing, I don't think they should be judged for it just because they can.

Iraqgunz
01-14-11, 13:55
I think that the Battle Comp surpasses the A2 flash hider in overall performance. JM2CW.

What do you think of a Battlecomp on a fighting weapon? Do you think it should be considered for issue?

Iraqgunz
01-14-11, 13:57
M4C isn't about that. There are other websites that are.

Checkout the AAC blackout. I love mine personally IMO.

Maybe I'll get castrated for this here, but......what's wrong with buying another flash hider just because you like the looks of it?

Some people do have the money to "waste" on that kind of thing, I don't think they should be judged for it just because they can.

Skyyr
01-14-11, 15:59
The AAC Blackout outperforms the Vortex, and virtually every other flash suppressor, in controlling flash (the Vortex coming in at a very close second). If you want the best flash suppression, then get the Blackout. If you're trying to save a few dollars and/or don't have the tools to install it (or you don't want to Rocksett a flash suppressor to your barrel threads), then the Vortex might appeal to you since it can be hand-tightened and then used (it self-tightens during firing), and it's slightly less expensive.

If you need a better flash suppressor, then pick the one that works best based on your budget. If you want something simply because looks cool, then this site probably isn't for you.

jklaughrey
01-14-11, 16:24
I have to agree with Skyyr. The vortex for the money is a very good FH. I have used one for over a year now and have very good results for low light conditions. Having said that, I would take my BC any day of the week. Although is doesn't do everything the best, it does everything good enough to be the Jack of all trades of FH/Comps. Just my opinion.

markm
01-14-11, 19:27

As far as the vortex... I've had the prongs bend. They used to be bad about "blooming".. where the prongs would flare open over time.

They work good, but are too delicate for a fighting gun. And the obsession for absolute minimum flash is way over blown.

usmcvet
01-14-11, 20:05
Honest question...

Jeff

The Vortex is a top notch flash hider if you're looking for a flash hider that and the AAC black out.

The Battle Comp is not a flash hider but a comp. Two completely different animals. Decide what is more important to you. And from what I've seen the battle comp is very well priced compared to other comps the A2 FH is like $8 a Vortex or Blackout are around fifty bucks. If flash suppression is something you need get a Vortex or black out they are the best. If you want quick follow up shots get a battle comp they Rock!

usmcvet
01-14-11, 20:15
As far as the vortex... I've had the prongs bend. They used to be bad about "blooming".. where the prongs would flare open over time.

They work good, but are too delicate for a fighting gun. And the obsession for absolute minimum flash is way over blown.

The time I've used the Blackout and Vortex was with a 14.5" bbl to get it to 16". I had a Vortex with improper heat treatment and a bent prong. That was ten years or longer ago. No problems since. The blackout is no doubt more rugged. Don't under estimate the A2 it does a good job.