PDA

View Full Version : One last Colt Series 70 1911 Blued @ my local gun store.

davebee456
01-12-11, 17:20
One last Colt Series 70 1911 Blued @ my local gun store...
the thing is its been on display and handled alot by staff and customers for the last 4 months at least.

The store wont take any money off the 899.00 price tag.

The fit seems a little loose I would not call it a "rattle trap"...yet and the bushing seems the like its on tight and looks even..

Anything else I should check for before buying or putting on layaway??
maybe you guys could give me a list.

Timbonez
01-12-11, 22:31
I have a Colt Series 70 repro, and I like it a lot. The fit will be a little loose, but they make good base guns for a smith to do a custom job on. $899 isn't the best price for one. You should be able to find one in the low- to mid-800s. A few years ago there used to be problem with Colt and slide and frame rubbing just beyond the dust cover. It isn't a huge issue, and can be found on other production pistols. It just seemed that Colt had a higher propensity for this cosmetic defect.

turdbocharged
02-04-11, 10:58
"$899 isn't the best price for one. You should be able to find one in the low- to mid-800s."

WOW! seriously? Ive been to dozens of gun shows in the past two years and checked dealers here west of Cleveland,OH and have not found a single Colt for under 900$! The hillbilly FFL's at the Medina/Berea gun shows think that since it has the Colt name that it's Gold! Also Gun Store dealers ever want to find one they are only ever interested in selling whats on hand. I did happen to find one and ended up paying $970.00 or something silly for it.

Ive even often seen beat up ORM 1991's go for $1200. These people are crazy and I hope nobody is paying that kind of money for their garbage. It's so hard to find a decent firearm in this area.

Timbonez
02-04-11, 12:26
I bought my Series 70 repro for around $825 in 2008, but I know what you mean. Prices can get out of hand in certain areas. I'm active duty and every location I've PCSed to has had some ridiculous prices at gun stores save for a few. You just have to look, possibly buy online, and do a FFL transfer.

Business_Casual
02-04-11, 13:30
Seriously, what's the material difference between his price and yours? The price of gasoline varies that much between rural and urban.

B_C

Coleslaw
02-04-11, 14:14
I have a Colt Series 70 repro, and I like it a lot. The fit will be a little loose, .........

JMB designed it that way. Reliability in all conditions was paramount versus shooting 2" groups at 25yds.

.........but they make good base guns for a smith to do a custom job on.

Yes they do.

$899 isn't the best price for one. You should be able to find one in the low- to mid-800s. A few years ago there used to be problem with Colt and slide and frame rubbing just beyond the dust cover. It isn't a huge issue, and can be found on other production pistols. It just seemed that Colt had a higher propensity for this cosmetic defect.

Probably due to the loose fit as designed. Look at old USGI examples that are still in original used condition and you will see plenty of wear in the same area, as will earlier examples of original pattern Colt Commercial 1911's and 1911A1's.

Timbonez
02-04-11, 14:32
Seriously, what's the material difference between his price and yours? The price of gasoline varies that much between rural and urban.

B_C

He just seemed incredulous that I said $899 was pricey. That was based on my experience, and I though it would be helpful to steer him in the right direction. It's up to him to decide if he wants to buy one for $899. If that was lowest price I could find on a Series 70 repro, I would still buy it.

Colesaw, I agree with everything you said and I have no problem with how my Series 70 repro was built.

MarshallDodge
02-04-11, 18:18
Unless you really want a 70 series Colt I would pass, especially if you plan on upgrading anything on it. Spend the money on a gun that already has the upgrades like a lightly used Springfield TRP or Les Baer TRS.

Coleslaw
02-04-11, 19:11
That is good advice. Generally it will cost you more to modify a 'plane Jane' 1911 up to the level of the models mentioned. Often it is better to get one already built in that configuration. If you only want to do some sights and a minor tune up, then a series 70 wouldn't be a bad way to go and would probably serve your purposes at a cheaper price. If you decide the semi-custom is the route you may take, give Ed Brown a look.

3 AE
02-05-11, 16:54
Paid $900.00 for a Colt Stainless Series 70 Repro in mid 2009 at a LGS. He threw in a box of American Eagle ammo into the deal. I could have got one online for @$850. But you add up shipping and FFL transfer fees and I was better off buying local. Plus I was able to inspect and handle the pistol right then and there. I haven't seen any Series 70 Repros,blue or stainless,online or elsewhere for under $925 if they have it in stock. You could ask the dealer to throw in something to sweeten the pot.

Jerry R
02-05-11, 19:06
Pic below is Colt Series 70 Combat Commander that I bought new for $125. That was in 1971 when I was in the Navy. I have tweaked it a little since then.

http://i70.photobucket.com/albums/i106/pdogkilr/Firearms/P3240315ISO400F11110-1.jpg