PDA

View Full Version : Cut time off run?

Militant83
01-13-11, 10:16
Anyone have any good training ideas for shaving some time off of your run time.

Im needing to cut about 3 min in 5 months.

militarymoron
01-13-11, 11:05
that's a lot to shave off over just a mile; not so much for a marathon. which is it?

kartoffel
01-13-11, 11:07
Cut 3 minutes of what? 1 mile, 2 miles, 5k, 10k?

The best bang for your buck, IMHO, is interval training. Mix your long aerobic burns with short anaerobic bursts. A you progress, challenge yourself by making the anaerobic intervals longer, and space them closer together.

Travis B
01-13-11, 12:12
The best bang for your buck, IMHO, is interval training. Mix your long aerobic burns with short anaerobic bursts. A you progress, challenge yourself by making the anaerobic intervals longer, and space them closer together.

+1 for interval training. During my XC days in high school I got down to a 18min 5K pretty quickly by doing long, moderate pace runs mixed in with 400M and 800M sprints and to work on your final kick, do short (50 or so yard) sprints after running workouts. Your time will go down very quickly. Good luck

kit222
01-13-11, 12:20
If running on a track isn't too boring, its easy to do intervals there...

Alternating fast and slow laps, with the slow laps taking twice as long as your fast. The idea being that you take twice as long to cover the same distance.

Another method I've tried is just doing 30/60's, sprinting for 30 seconds and then jog/walk for 60, then sprint again. That gets me pretty smoked after doing it for a few minutes though hahah.

Dos Cylindros
01-13-11, 14:46
Intervals work well, as does in my experience treadmill training. Set your normal distance on the treadmill, and up your pace a little each time. For instance, if you normally run 5miles at an 8 min mile pace (7.5 mph on treadmill), then run the same on the mill, but run it at 8.0 mph then slowly increace by .2 mph each time. This has worked well for me.

BushmasterFanBoy
01-15-11, 16:41
Intervals work well, as does in my experience treadmill training. Set your normal distance on the treadmill, and up your pace a little each time. For instance, if you normally run 5miles at an 8 min mile pace (7.5 mph on treadmill), then run the same on the mill, but run it at 8.0 mph then slowly increace by .2 mph each time. This has worked well for me.

I've got to agree with this as well. Since I'm such a pansy, I've consigned myself to treadmill running this winter. Using pretty much the same method of slight speed increases, I started my 5k at 7.8mph this winter, but by increasing .1mph each week, I'm now at 8.5mph over the same 5k. I'm hoping to increase my distance next.

Is it as good as running outdoors? No, I don't think it is, but I'm definately getting more fit, fitness that I can put to work when the weather turns. I'm stoked about my 5 miler times that I'm working towards, and I'm thinking that in a few months, my 40-min 5 mile will be seeing a BIG cut.

But that goes back to the OP; cuts are relative. 3 minutes off a mile is something that can take a year, even if you're in poor shape now. If you're already in great shape, it may not even be possible. 3 minutes off a 5k is a tough goal to shoot for, and something you'll work on. A 5 mile run? Train for it and you can get it. A marathon? Keeping your mind sharp and adding a mental push may easily net you 3 minutes. Let us know more and we can get you on the right track. :D

Heartbreaker
01-15-11, 17:59
Intervals (also referred to HIIT - high intensity interval training) are the way to go as everyone has said. Get a cheap heart rate monitor and work out an interval plan based on % of your max heart rate, you will see better results than just running as fast as you can for 1 minute or 1 lap. I had always ran for distance (I still do interval training for running, swimming, and cycling, it helps endurance as much as speed) but decided to get my speed up a little higher last year, I was able to drop my 3 mile run from 24 minutes to sub 21 minutes in about 3 months. It all comes down to how much time you are willing to spend and how much you want it. Eating right is huge, as well as a good supplement plan.

MeanRider
01-15-11, 18:24
interval training and plyometrics.

Militant83
01-15-11, 19:33
Its for a 1.5 mile run for police acadamy... When we did our initial pt assesment it was done indoors on a sqare track. Which having to slow down for corners on a square track crowed with other runners probably added some time to it so in reality on an open course or even a round track the 3 min is more like 2 min when you take out the corners.

I work out 4-5 days a weeks.

bp7178
01-15-11, 20:26
What are you running the 1.5 at now? I think my department's standard was 11:50 for a 1.5, which after going through the academy was a joke. I ran it in 9:30. But, I was running A LOT...that was 5 years ago now.

It kind of depends on where you are at, what fitness level. If you are overweight, obviously losing weight helps.

More recently, last summer, I started running everyday again. My girlfriend at the time would go with me, and we always ran 4 miles, prob about an 8-8:30 mile pace, which I used Run Keeper on my iPhone to track. I got up to about a 10k distance (6.3 ish miles), and kind of hit a wall and got bored with running.

I started going to the gym again, and did lots of circuit training which stressed total body workouts. Lots of legs and large muscle group stuff.

After a few weeks, me and the girlfriend went running again, and I dusted her, without even trying. I ran a 7:15 pace w/o even trying to be fast(er).

Point is, you need to do leg stuff in there too. Intervals are great for building speed and losing weight, but don't overlook squats and leg presses. Just a simple 155lb squat, doing two sets of 15, really helped my run.

militarymoron
01-15-11, 20:47
What are you running the 1.5 at now?

this is relevant info you need to be providing to your original question, as the longer the time you're taking now, the more possible it'll be to shave time off. the faster the pace, the harder it is incrementally.

to help others answer you better without having to guess, can you help with some more info?

1. what's your current height and weight?
2. of your 4-5 day a week workouts, what do they normally consist of - how much cardio/running is in there?
3. where do you think your current fitness level is, on a scale of 1-10?
4. any injuries or problems that might hamper your training if you step it up?

Naxet1959
01-16-11, 06:44
I recently found a big cut to my running times. First I switched to wearing Vibram 5 Finger shoes. This corrected my form because I was a heel striker, now I'm landing on the ball of my feet. Try running barefoot and your natural form will show itself and let you see how you may need to change.

Second, I do cross training and on Sundays, I ride a stationary bike. I spin along for 30 minutes at 90-100 rpm. Then I run a mile. My normal mile pace is 9:30 minutes (I run marathons so I've been okay with that).

My 1 mile times are now averaging 7:12, my fastest so far was 6:36.

I think its the fact that my legs have been pedalling quickly thats helping with leg turnover and giving the speed. YMMV.

rickrock305
01-16-11, 12:35
As others have said, interval training is the way to go.

There are a lot of different ways to approach your intervals though, so do some searching around the net and you'll come across some good ideas.

Hizzie
01-16-11, 15:49
Don't kill yourself running. Crosstrain or your shins, knees, ankles, achilles will hate you and make you pay. Try Tabata intervals on stepper or AirDyne bike.

20sec sprint/10sec rest for 4-6 intervals

rest 1-3min

20sec sprint/10sec rest for 4-6 intervals

If you are able to speak afterward and aren't gasping for air you didn't push hard enough.

As for the running you can only effectively work on speed or distance at any given time. Focus on 1.5mile total distance. Shaving 3 min over 20 weeks is not unreasonable. That is just improving 1.5 seconds per lap each week or only 9 seconds total each week. Eat right (don't starve yourself), get enough rest and take recovery days when needed. Injuries eat up time and set you back.

tgace
01-16-11, 16:07
Intervals. Sprints.

What is your target distance/time?

What is your current distance/time?

Militant83
01-16-11, 19:13
I recently found a big cut to my running times. First I switched to wearing Vibram 5 Finger shoes. This corrected my form because I was a heel striker, now I'm landing on the ball of my feet. Try running barefoot and your natural form will show itself and let you see how you may need to change.

Second, I do cross training and on Sundays, I ride a stationary bike. I spin along for 30 minutes at 90-100 rpm. Then I run a mile. My normal mile pace is 9:30 minutes (I run marathons so I've been okay with that).

My 1 mile times are now averaging 7:12, my fastest so far was 6:36.

I think its the fact that my legs have been pedalling quickly thats helping with leg turnover and giving the speed. YMMV.

Ive started running in my vibrams just intoducing that slowly... My target is 11:58 1.5 mile Current is 15:58 but as stated before thats on an indoor square track that had about 10 runners to dodge. So i think without those factors my time will drop some. No injuries pretty healthy. Current fitness level id say about an 8 or so.
3 out of the 4-5 days that i train are all cardio the other day or 2 i do moderate total body weight training. every other day I do my push-ups and situps required for the test.

Im 6'2 220 lbs

BooneGA
01-16-11, 20:21
I didnt see your height/weight numbers posted but for a lot of people the quickest way to cut run time is to cut weight.

I dont believe in running as the only way to train to run, and I maybe run 1-2 times a MONTH and have managed to get my run 2 mile time down from mid 14s to mid 12s in 3 months. Interval training is good start, so are low impact cardio exercises such as the bike, elliptical, airdyne, or rowing done both for intervals and for longer endurance type efforts.

Have someone who knows how to run well look at your form and give you pointers. I have found that for any distance longer than 1000m short fast strides are MUCH faster than longer ones for most people.

If you do decide to step up your amount of runs/week be sure to give your legs time to recover and ensure your form is perfect in order to prevent injury if you arent used to running.

Rick

sniperfrog
01-17-11, 14:17
You really need to go to a high school track or measure off a 1.5 mile run somewhere and test yourself that way. Running on a short indoor track dodging others will be difficult to guage your performance.
No offense, but running 1.5 miles in 15:58 is pretty slow even for a big guy like yourself. If your fitness level is an 8 or so than you must not be pushing yourself very hard. My guess is you probably can already shave off alot of time if you really pushed yourself.
What's your age?

Militant83
01-17-11, 14:38
You really need to go to a high school track or measure off a 1.5 mile run somewhere and test yourself that way. Running on a short indoor track dodging others will be difficult to guage your performance.
No offense, but running 1.5 miles in 15:58 is pretty slow even for a big guy like yourself. If your fitness level is an 8 or so than you must not be pushing yourself very hard. My guess is you probably can already shave off alot of time if you really pushed yourself.
What's your age?

Im 27.. And yes your right I probably can push myself harder and plan to. As for a bigger track the current one close to me is covered in snow. But I have started using an indoor round track at the local YMCA that usually has no one else on it. But it is still 21 laps to get the 1.5 miles. But come spring time I will be heading out the high school track.

As for having a fitness level of 8 prior to deciding to go to police acadamy. My fitness plan didnt include very much cardio since all summer I was doing more of body building to put on size and strength.While I let myself slip on the cardio side and usually ran a mile max when I did do cardio but it wasnt at a pace that would have benifited me in my current situation. When I ran our first assesment it was a real wake up call..

bp7178
01-17-11, 15:09
When I got out of our academy, I went from 6'-3" 225 to 205lbs, huge body fat loss as well. Managed 54 pushups in a min, 84 of these crunch things they had us do, and like a 9:35 1.5 mile time.

I think I was pretty fit when I got out. I would have rated myself as an 8 out of ten.

I think your "8" is a little high with almost an 11 min pace. You need to be honest with yourself about where you are, and what you're currently doing.

The academy is good because you will get new fresh workouts, stuff you probably wouldn't do on your own. For a while, even on PT days, I would still go home and run/lift.

At 6'-2" 220, you are most likely overweight. Check your diet, and again be honest about it. Cut sugar big time. Soda, candy and all that shit ****s with your blood sugar. You'll crave food when you aren't hungry. I lost 15lbs by not drinking soda. It's amazing how much less food cravings I get.

sniperfrog
01-17-11, 15:16
I understand the snow issue. As far as intervals like many suggested, I would start off getting a good arobic base first. Try running 1.5 miles at your current pace, 3 days a week. Add a half a mile each week until you get to 3 miles. Then I would add in some interval training. There's a million ways to do it; run hard for 30 seconds then jog or walk for 30, or you can go a minute each, etc..
Theres also tabatas (google it) which work well.

chuckman
01-18-11, 06:51
I am not a fast runner, but I am a determined one...I may not win any races, but I can just about outlast anyone on a run (except marathoners and ultramarathoners). The way I learned to run faster was to...run faster. Intervals helped me more than anything, and I 'enjoy' fartlek runs, where I just increase my speed as I feel like it, then back down, then back up, then medium speed, then back down, etc. I have always been a big fella...when I was a corpsman attached to the Marines and at the peak of my fitness I was around 190 (I am 5' 8"), and running the Navy's 1.5 mile in about 10 minutes. You can do it, but you have to run.

Militant83
01-18-11, 08:11
Well thanks everyone for the advice. Looks like some form of interval training is where its at. So thats where i will start while following sniperfrogs advice.

And again thanks .

Hammer27
01-18-11, 14:08
Before I give any advice I'm going to toss out the "credentials" first.
PR's of:
4:37 Mile
9:58 2 mile
15:45 3 mile
I ran my last PRT 1.5 mile in 7:50
I also maxed push ups and sit ups with 101 of each, and have maxed both the APFT and PFT.
I'm 5' 8" and 165lbs

If you're running nearly a 16minute 1.5mile you're going to need more than just intervals. Those are good for increasing turn over and "quickness" but you're going to have to work on endurance a bit more. Runs of 3-8miles at a certain pace, working on holding a steady speed are going to be key. Pick a pace you want to run for the event (say you want to run it in 12minutes, that's an 8 minute mile) and try to maintain that pace for your longer runs. For sprint work (IE track work) try to go at 2/3 of your target pace.
Do distance/endurance training 4 times a week and track work/speed training 2 times.

superr.stu
01-18-11, 20:48
With where you are at right now distance and threshold type work are going to give you the most gains. They will make sure you have endurance and strength to carry you through your race. As you get more fit your distance should continue to increase and you should start to transition into more interval training. Nothing fancy, something like 4sets of 4x400 @ race pace with 60sec between reps 3min between sets will do a lot for you. Like hammer said 3-8 mile runs are going to be your best friend.

i can try and dig out last years track program that i based most of my training off of, most of it should apply to your goals. I'll pm it when i find it.

also like hammer i'll provide some "credentials"
800 1:58
1600 4:28
5k 15:42
been coaching HS track and XC for the past 3.5 years