PDA

View Full Version : Build question regarding buffers and BCG

crusader377
01-13-11, 10:44
I'm in the process of completing my 1st build. I'm building a 14.5 inch lightweight carbine. I already built my lower and it has an H buffer. My final purchase is the bolt carrier group and charging handle. I was orginally thinking of getting a BCM M16 BCG but I have an opportunity to pick up a LMT AR15 group for about $30 less than the BCM.

My question is will the LMT run well in the configuration that I'm building or should I just stick with the BCM?

Note: I'm currently a civilian and there is no chance that this upper will ever be used with a select fire lower.

Hmac
01-13-11, 11:22
If it were me, on a 14.5 inch carbine, I'd save the $30, get the LMT, and spend it on an H2 buffer.

As to charging handle, I'd get the new version of the BCM Gunfighter handle (such as what Noveske sells).

Iraqgunz
01-13-11, 12:37
Personally you should always use the correct BCG when doing a build. That means an auto carrier. Neutered carriers have no business anywhere at all.

I'm in the process of completing my 1st build. I'm building a 14.5 inch lightweight carbine. I already built my lower and it has an H buffer. My final purchase is the bolt carrier group and charging handle. I was orginally thinking of getting a BCM M16 BCG but I have an opportunity to pick up a LMT AR15 group for about $30 less than the BCM.

My question is will the LMT run well in the configuration that I'm building or should I just stick with the BCM?

Note: I'm currently a civilian and there is no chance that this upper will ever be used with a select fire lower.

luckyguy1
01-13-11, 15:06
I have run all styles of bolt carriers in all style of guns.

maybe I've just been lucky but I haven't run into any non-magazine failures.

I have run the totally gutted Colt half carriers all the way to full auto carriers,, the shortest barrel I have is a 10.5 and I DO run it now with a BCM full auto carrier, but that's because I hate the Colt half carrier, (it's just wrong).

I haven't run into any issues with regard to semi or full auto carriers.

maybe if you had a problem child of a gun then options are what you need, but until you determine if you have any issues there is nothing wrong with a good quality semi auto carrier.

Evil Bert
01-13-11, 15:15
I have always felt that the "full auto" is misleading for most out there. When someone is planning on building an AR-15 for the first time, they see M16 carrier and assume it is either not legal, or not the proper carrier. I agree that the so called AR-15 carrier has no place in this world. The AR-15 carrier is considered the "standard" carrier when they are not standard. They are modified from the standard to support the civilian version of the platform which is semi-auto.

I know most of us use the FA in reference since we consider the alternative the SA. Well enough ranting.

To the OP. Always go with a M16 carrier and use an H2 buffer. You will be glad you did.

shadow65
01-13-11, 19:56
I also use M16 carriers. H2 buffers on 14.5".
The rifle was designed to use an M16 carrier. Why change it?
$30 in the expense of the build isn't much to have the correct part in my opinion.

crusader377
01-14-11, 13:13
Thanks everyone for your help. You all convinced me to stay with my orginal plan for a M16 group. Will pick up either a BCM, DD, or LMT M16 BCG.

BufordTJustice
01-14-11, 14:12
Thanks everyone for your help. You all convinced me to stay with my orginal plan for a M16 group. Will pick up either a BCM, DD, or LMT M16 BCG.

That's GTG. And, as others have said, look into an H2 buffer as well.

strambo
01-14-11, 18:18
I put a semi LMT BCG in my 14.5" Middy. It was only $105 and the firing pin is fully shrouded. What is left to be an issue? The slight amount of weight from a slightly longer rear section? The LMT AR15 carrier isn't anything like the Colt.

As far as saying the rifle was designed to have an M16 carrier...well the M16 was. A 14.5" mid-length gas barrel is quite a ways from that.

I'm not saying a FA isn't better...just wondering why in quantitative terms? (assuming the firing pin is fully covered).

crusader377
01-26-11, 22:52
Thanks everyone for your help. Ordered a BCM BCG and charging handle and that is the last component for my build. Will initial run my rifle with my spare carry handle until I figure out which BUIS and Optic I want to use.