PDA

View Full Version : post-carbine class question

taliv
08-25-07, 15:17
so today was the first chance I got to hit the range and practice what i learned in Pat's carbine class in Memphis on the 15th.

I put an IDPA target at 50 ft and did a magazine of "two shots to the body" then another mag of the "two to the body, one to the head" drills as fast as I could (a little faster than we were doing in class, since I wasn't tired like you get in class (this was the only target i shot today))

I don't have a timer, but I don't think the head shots are taking me any longer than the body, but obviously, they're a lot tighter. In fact, you can even see one body shot almost off the paper in the lower left, and not pictured were two body shots where i missed the target entirely. (ugh)

My question is, is this normal? is it a case of "aim small, miss small"? if so, how do you "aim small" at the body?

thanks for any suggestions

RD62
08-25-07, 16:18
It really may be a case of aim small, miss small. I find that I don't group as well off hand when shooting quickly at an unmarked target. If I stick a paster in the center as an aiming point my groups quickly shrink dramatically. I think it's really a case of a consistant aiming point. The dot catches my attention and causes me to automatically target the same area.

Contacts are obviously not gonna walk around with bright target dots on them, so you probably need to slow down a bit and concentrate on shot placement more. I think as you get more consistent with placement you will get faster naturally.

This is all my opinion, so take it for nothing more than that. I'm sure Pat or someone else will be along soon to give you better info!

-RD62

R Moran
08-25-07, 16:57
Are you seeing 2 seperate sight pictures, for each body shot?

If not, you really need to control the gun, to put 2 shots in the A zone, that fast.

Bob

taliv
08-25-07, 17:39
r moran, first mag, 1 sight picture, 2nd mag, two sight pictures on the body... so a mix

btw, i can't see the a-zone from 50'. i'm pretty well guessing at 1/3rd down from the shoulders. and i'm aiming at the top of the head