PDA

View Full Version : Educate Me About Makarovs...

SteyrAUG
01-13-11, 23:34
So far I have resisted buying one as I have nothing in 9x18 and I loathe taking on a new caliber if I don't have to. I still own nothing in .40 S&W for example.

But I have decided my AK-74s need a proper companion piece. I really wish I had jumped on one of those $125 East German Makarovs when they were all over the place but that ship has sailed long ago.

At any rate I'm noticing a huge price difference between things like a Bulgarian Makarov (affordable) and Russian "military" Makarovs which seem to command prices of $750 or more.

And of course the ones being designated "Russian military" are the most appealing to me with the red grips and such. But I did notice Russian Makarovs that were not designated "military" that were much more affordable (but lack the cool red grips).

So are the military ones actually military? Is there any difference between military and non military besides designation, grips and price? If I found red grips and stuck them on a East German or Bulgarian Makarov would I have essentially the same thing?

TOrrock
01-14-11, 06:31
The only commercial Makarovs that are here in the US from Russia were imported in the early 90's and they all have adjustable rear sight, which make them easy to distinguish from the military PM's (Pistolet Makarov).

Russian military PM's cost so much because they are 1) Russian, and 2) rare. You can't "legally" get any military hardware out of Russia. These Russian PM's were imported in the large batch of Bulgarian surplus PM's that came in about 10 years ago. The Russians had supplied the Bulgarians with PM's and they weren't distinguished from the Bulgarian when imported, and since they'd spend more than 5 years outside of Russia when they were imported, they're legal.

Bulgarian and East German PM's are generally considered the nicest. Many give a nod towards the DDR PM's as having the nicest fit, finish, and trigger pulls, but honestly, the Bulgarian PM's hold their own next to the East German.

Russian PM's are, of course, right up there.

Russian and Bulgarian PM's have the red bakelite grips with the 5 pointed Soviet star, the DDR surplus use a distinctive black bakelite grip.

I've found them to have decent, smooth double action pulls that stack a bit towards the end, and they tend to shoot a whole lot better than the itty bitty 1950's sights should let them.

They are very reliable, the barrels are hard chromed and the slide has a scoop that aids in feeding. My Bulgarian has fed Speer Gold Dot and Hornaday XTP just fine.

The only reason to pay a premium for a Russian military PM is if you have to have a Russian. The Bulgarian PM's look just like the Russians and are a fraction of the cost.

My Bulgarian PM with as issued grips.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v613/Tim_Orrock/Range%209-16-07/Reduced/DSC00264.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v613/Tim_Orrock/Range%209-16-07/Reduced/DSC00263.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v613/Tim_Orrock/Range%209-16-07/Reduced/DSC00262.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v613/Tim_Orrock/Range%209-16-07/Reduced/DSC00255.jpg

spdldr
01-14-11, 10:36
Life was still cheap in the Soviet Union when this was designed. If you get one, never carry it with a loaded chamber, hammer down, and safety off.

The firing pin is not inertia and the hammer is resting only on a half cock notch. The safety needs to be on to prevent a discharge if the gun is dropped on the hammer.

Otherwise, it may well be the most reliable automatic pistol ever made.

Magic_Salad0892
01-14-11, 12:35
My girlfriends Dad carried an East German one for a while, before he could get an H&K P7M8.

He's from Germany.

I remember him complaining about not being able to get a CTC grip for his Makarov last year after shooting my Gen3 G17.

GermanSynergy
01-14-11, 12:53
I've got a '61 East German, carried by my Ossi cousins on the wrong side of the wall. It shoots well for what it is.

I got it as a gift in 2001 for graduating PLDC in Texas. My dad paid the $89, I did the 4473.

SteyrAUG
01-14-11, 12:58
Thanks guys, I am now up to speed.

TheLefty
01-14-11, 13:28
As usual, Templar nailed it.

The Bulgarians are generally considered the best bang-for-the-buck Mak. I have 2 of them myself, one military and one commercial Arsenal.

The commercial Russian IJ-70s are a little lacking cosmetically, and I don't care for the adjustable rear sight.

The Russian military, East German, and Chinese are valued more highly by collectors because of rarity and/or aesthetics.

Makarovs in general are very reliable, and they all seem to shoot well (fixed barrel). The sights are poor, and you're looking at custom work to change them.

If you're looking for a nice Mak to shoot, I'd vote Bulgarian (and as Templar said, a lot of them come with the red star grips you mentioned; however, I shoot better with a Pearce grip on my Maks).

kaltesherz
01-14-11, 19:25
Mostly everything's already been covered, so I'll just add that while surprisingly accurate, it's a bit snappy as 9x18 is pretty much the limit for a blowback pistol. In my experience Bulgy's vary in quality depending on year they were made, with the earlier being much nicer than the later models. Mine was made in 1989 when apparently they were on a ramen and PBR budget, other than her DA trigger she's a fantastic shooter, and even the DA has managed to smooth out over time. Also their frames are really only good for 10k rounds before a rail will crack, at least that's what was happening a few years ago when I kept on Maks. Magazines go through cycles of feast or famine, and when they are available they're around $20 these days.

Here's my Bulgy w/ DDR grips, bought for $160 unissued ages ago
http://i165.photobucket.com/albums/u64/kaltesherz/Mak31.jpg

nickh46
01-14-11, 21:19
Those are nice pictures.

In the US, you shoot Makarov.

In Soviet Russia, Makarov shoot you! :haha:

kartoffel
01-14-11, 21:35
You might also consider a CZ-82. Same 9x18 cartridge in a slightly different gun. They're on the C&R list, too.

mvelimir
01-14-11, 21:51
Makarovs are workhorse and reliable however, I wasn't too impressed by them considering how much attention is given to them here in USA. I own CZ-82 and Polish P-64 in 9x18. CZ is my HD gun and P-64 my carry gun. CZ-82, with polygonal rifling is very accurate, it comes with 12-round, double stack mag (bit bulky to carry in FL), has THE BEST DA trigger of all my guns and SA is shoulder to shoulder with anything else I own. P-64 has extremely hard DA (about 25lbs), but SA is sweeeet and it is unbelievable accurate at distances up to 15 yd. (didn't really test it at greater distance). At 8yd is a tack driver! Both guns I have shoot over 500 rounds each, in FMJ and HP and never... I repeat - never had any problem.
So, my 2 cents is - they are too reliable to be ignored.

P.S.
Or you can do as I do- run my AKs and SKS with Yugo M57 in 7.62x25.;)

SteyrAUG
01-14-11, 22:22
You might also consider a CZ-82. Same 9x18 cartridge in a slightly different gun. They're on the C&R list, too.

Not interested. This won't be a shooter but more of a AK-74 "accessory" for the Warsaw Pact section of my personal firearms museum. It is quite possible I will shoot it once and never shoot it again.

I once considered getting one as a "disposable" when East Germans were dirt cheap but it really didn't appeal to me enough to motivate me to adopt a new caliber.

Now I wish I had picked up a LOT of that East German surplus, including the AK kits. Could have built some kick ass DDR kalashnikovs, but that ship too has sailed.

mvelimir
01-14-11, 23:07
Not interested. This won't be a shooter but more of a AK-74 "accessory" for the Warsaw Pact section of my personal firearms museum. It is quite possible I will shoot it once and never shoot it again.

I once considered getting one as a "disposable" when East Germans were dirt cheap but it really didn't appeal to me enough to motivate me to adopt a new caliber.

Now I wish I had picked up a LOT of that East German surplus, including the AK kits. Could have built some kick ass DDR kalashnikovs, but that ship too has sailed.
In that case, just get a Makarov. Since you're not planning on shooting it, a box of Silver Bear should do.

LHS
01-14-11, 23:34
Occasionally you can find one of the Soviet PMMs, with the double-stack magazine. Those are neat little guns.

The DDR Maks are nice, I wish I'd picked one up back in the day. My only problems with Maks are the oddball caliber and the fact that, just like the PPK, they chew up my hand.

rattlesnake
02-18-11, 18:39
I have both, ij70 and cz82, and the makarov shoots a hundred times better than the cz. Yes it holds more rounds, and has ambi mag release, but it isn't as balanced as the makarov. The cz is very snappy, and feels like shooting a .40. I'm not bsing. It's VERY snappy. I think it is because the slide is lighter than the makarov slide. I dunno why, but the ij70 is much softer to shoot.
http://i1123.photobucket.com/albums/l541/rattlesnake505/DSCN1631.jpg

http://i1123.photobucket.com/albums/l541/rattlesnake505/dscn1629.jpg

mashed68
02-18-11, 20:35
I went from a bulgy mak to a cz82. I won't own another mak but I regret selling the cz82. If you don't plan on firing it much then just get the cheapest makarov you find, they all look the same.