PDA

View Full Version : Greeley school board plans to tell member he can't bring gun to meetings

SuperiorDG
01-14-11, 08:55
Greeley school board plans to tell member he can't bring gun to meetings.

How can a public group meeting in a public place make rules that are not in line with state law?

http://www.9news.com/news/article.aspx?storyid=175474&catid=339

FromMyColdDeadHand
01-14-11, 11:41
1. Concealed means concealed. Stop asking permission and work on your apology. If he is that worried about death threats either keep your mouth shut and your head on a swivel, or just don't go.

2. If it is school property, even if classes aren't held there, I don't think he can carry- I thought that was the state law.

3. Are schools part of the government? If so, they can't stop him unless they have metal detectors and screening at the doors.

SuperiorDG
01-14-11, 14:32
It appears that it is not on school grounds because it would be a non-issue if so, (no further law needed) The thing that bothers me is that if they make some rule barring him from bringing his gun then they are violating state law. Of course it will be over-turned once the issue goes to the Colorado Supreme Court. But we will end up paying for the expense, just like we did with the college campus ban.

SuperiorDG
01-14-11, 14:54
FromMyColdDeadHand

You where right, he should of keep his mouth shut.

"Brett Reese lost his permit to carry a concealed weapon Thursday after being served with a temporary restraining order requested by the owner of a rival station."

http://www.9news.com/news/article.aspx?storyid=175630&catid=339

Fried Chicken Blowout
01-14-11, 17:25
Looks like the question is "is the school board located on the property of a school?" If yes, then it a big ****ing NO-NO to carry in Colorado. If it's not on school property as in a Elementary, Middle or High School school, I don't think the HQ of a school district would apply unless it's also occupied by an active school.

If I where him, I wouldn't have said shit about it and just carried if the board room is not on school grounds. But if they want to state that the board room is part of a school, I don't think I would want any part of that legal fight. You might win in State Supreme Court, but I'd rather not get into the fight in the first place.