PDA

View Full Version : Battle: Los Angeles...ok I'm in.

Gutshot John
01-14-11, 10:27
Looks pretty awesome. Great cast and great special effects. Looks a bit more cerebral than you're average action flick.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M_pAsPPDdC8

Abraxas
01-14-11, 10:37
I'd say it looks pretty entertaining.

FromMyColdDeadHand
01-14-11, 12:24
I'm starting to think cleaning up the planet is a bad idea. Maybe DDT is what was keeping the aliens from taking the place over. ;)

kwelz
01-14-11, 13:07
I want to see this as well.
Then again I was also looking forward to Skyline and we all know how that turned out.

Jay Cunningham
01-14-11, 18:27
I've watched three trailers for this - and if they do it right - it looks like it might be really cool.

The motivation for the alien invasion could still kill the whole thing (haven't heard why they're landing) if it doesn't pass the sniff test.

TOrrock
01-14-11, 18:42
I eat this shit up, I'm a sci fi junkie.

If they do it right, looks good.

FromMyColdDeadHand
01-14-11, 18:46
I've watched three trailers for this - and if they do it right - it looks like it might be really cool.

The motivation for the alien invasion could still kill the whole thing (haven't heard why they're landing) if it doesn't pass the sniff test.

The one line I heard in the trailers is "the first thing you do when you exploit resources is remove the indigenous population."

So we are the Ewoks or those blue people from Avatar.

The picked Cali because AW are banned :no:

I still get a semi when I hear the presidents rally speech before the big battle in "Independance Day". THough that was my wife's and I's first date movie too, so that might have something to do with it. I love we won't go quietly into the night, something wicked this way comes and valley of death imagery.

Jay Cunningham
01-14-11, 19:07
The one line I heard in the trailers is "the first thing you do when you exploit resources is remove the indigenous population."

Right - but which resource?

I heard somewhere that it was about water... if it is, then I think the movie might suck (already tried it with "V") not to mention there are many other places in the universe someone could get their hands on water ice.

Like I said, the above was just a snippet that I read somewhere and I hope it's not true.

Jay Cunningham
01-14-11, 19:09
The picked Cali because AW are banned :no:

Supposedly the invasion is happening all over the planet, but this is just a focus on LA. I hope they provide some type of logical explanation why they are not just bombing us from orbit. Believe me I like the idea of US troops fighting aliens on nearly equal terms, but seriously if they could make it an interstellar distance don't you think they might have nerve gas or something?

I don't need perfect logic, just something to allow me to willingly suspend my disbelief.

Iraqgunz
01-14-11, 19:27
Too bad it couldn't take place in a state that is gun friendly- to make it more realistic and all. :D

Iraqgunz
01-14-11, 19:30
I am sure that they must have some equivalent of an alien neutron bomb.

Right - but which resource?

I heard somewhere that it was about water... if it is, then I think the movie might suck (already tried it with "V") not to mention there are many other places in the universe someone could get their hands on water ice.

Like I said, the above was just a snippet that I read somewhere and I hope it's not true.

pilotguyo540
01-14-11, 20:24
Too bad it couldn't take place in a state that is gun friendly- to make it more realistic and all. :D

Its okay, I will take care of them. :p

LOKNLOD
01-14-11, 20:39
Completely implausible. When aliens show up in California, they get drivers licenses and free healthcare, no need to blow everything up. :p

Von Rheydt
01-14-11, 20:48
Looks like ET went home and got some friends.

devildogljb
01-14-11, 21:27
looks decent enough might be worth the price of a ticket

HES
01-14-11, 21:33
So War of the Worlds, meets Independence Day? Count me in.

BAC
01-14-11, 22:14
Completely implausible. When aliens show up in California, they get drivers licenses and free healthcare, no need to blow everything up. :p

God damn that was good. :p

-B

uwe1
01-14-11, 23:24

Aliens don't take IOUs. :p

variablebinary
01-15-11, 02:04
So War of the Worlds, meets Independence Day? Count me in.

There was a rumor early on that the basic premise was the foundation of Independence Day II, where all the ships are grounded, but now there are millions of alien shock troops on the ground to deal with, so the war was far from over.

Anyway, I've been keeping an eye on this one forever, and I'm really looking forward to seeing it the first day it drops.

bradb55
01-15-11, 09:27
I'm in! I friend of mine did camera work on this. He wouldn't give any hints when filming. I love this stuff.

RogerinTPA
01-15-11, 10:42
This looks like an awesome movie!:cool:

DacoRoman
01-15-11, 16:29
Supposedly the invasion is happening all over the planet, but this is just a focus on LA. I hope they provide some type of logical explanation why they are not just bombing us from orbit. Believe me I like the idea of US troops fighting aliens on nearly equal terms, but seriously if they could make it an interstellar distance don't you think they might have nerve gas or something?

I don't need perfect logic, just something to allow me to willingly suspend my disbelief.

great point..or you'd think that they'd genetically engineer a virus and just sit back and allow most of the human population to become decimated, and then just stroll in :D...

it looks like it could be a fun movie though

Gutshot John
01-17-11, 10:16
Ok...it's a movie folks, let's not overthink it. :)

Also let's not forget the War of the Worlds scenario that once they arrive they would be vulnerable to the millions of microbes (even ones not associated with disease) that exist here on Earth that humanity has long since been inoculated against.

FromMyColdDeadHand
01-17-11, 10:43
Ever wonder if we just live in the trailer park of the universe and no one else wants to live here or associate with us?

Sometimes I think that looking for radio broadcasts from aliens is like natives in New Guinea looking for smoke signals from the outside world; there ain't none- we've moved on.

Could we at least have put a bigger package on the dude inscribed on the Voyager spacecraft?

What ever aliens are looking for, from the preponderanceu of eyewitness accounts, it appears that they think it is somewhere in our asses. Would you travel half way across the galaxy to anally probe some wookie?

ForTehNguyen
01-17-11, 10:51
if you look at the aliens they look very robotic or cybernetic. Native microbes might not be effective against that

Mac5.56
01-17-11, 11:06
I will bite and go see this one. But I have to be honest that weird slow auto tune song at the end of that trailer makes me a little nervous... :)

Gutshot John
01-17-11, 11:16
I will bite and go see this one. But I have to be honest that weird slow auto tune song at the end of that trailer makes me a little nervous... :)

Johann Johansson's "Sun's Gone Dim"

ForTehNguyen
01-17-11, 12:18
here is the song. Very haunting and fitting for this trailer. Battle: Los Angeles Trailer music - Johann Johannsson "The Sun's Gone Dim"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RPH7LXPZFBo

TOrrock
01-17-11, 13:44

John Ringo's "Live Free or Die"

SteyrAUG
01-17-11, 16:17
I'm hoping they get this one right.

I was so disappointed with The Day The Earth Stood Still.

Perhaps the all time sci fi classic and they ****ed it all up.

one
01-17-11, 19:08
I'm going to be hearing that ominous overtone music all day long tomorrow as I drive around.

And for some reason I seem to wind up watching everything with Michelle Rodriguez in it anyway.

thopkins22
01-17-11, 19:14
I guess I'm the only one that thought Gutshot John was becoming a Rage Against The Machine fan....

The movie looks like fun, I hadn't seen any previews until you posted this.

LHS
01-17-11, 21:56
John Ringo's "Live Free or Die"

Ringo's Sci-fi is great, when he has a co-author to tone down his BDSM insanity. For example, "March Upcountry" and its sequels were excellent. "Ghost" was downright disturbing, as he spent half the book writing a giant rape fantasy. And let's not get into "Watch on the Rhine"...

Jay Cunningham
01-17-11, 22:08
Ok...it's a movie folks, let's not overthink it. :)
Dude, I can let a lot of things slide but I need some type of coherent explanation as to the whys and hows of the aliens. It doesn't need to be detailed, it can just be a throw-away line or something...

Also let's not forget the War of the Worlds scenario that once they arrive they would be vulnerable to the millions of microbes (even ones not associated with disease) that exist here on Earth that humanity has long since been inoculated against.
Back when the book came out this woked pretty well I think, as so much of the technology and science was not well understood. I saw the Spielberg remake of WOTW and I thought it was terrible. I can willingly suspend my disbelief for alien walkers, but don't tell me they buried them underground a million years ago and rode bolts of lightning down to board them...

5pins
01-17-11, 23:56
Dude, I can let a lot of things slide but I need some type of coherent explanation as to the whys and hows of the aliens. It doesn't need to be detailed, it can just be a throw-away line or something...

They came here to help us but we just misunderstood their intentions.

Gutshot John
01-18-11, 07:37

I don't disagree but I think sci-fi/fantasy by its nature requires a huge element of suspending disbelief. Interstellar travel, aliens that would give a rip about a planet that in all likelihood wouldn't support their life etc. etc.

It still might be a throw-away line, the trailer was pretty short on the details but all in all if they just came in and nerve gassed us from orbit it would be a really short movie. ;)

Before WoTW was a bad Tom Cruise movie it was a classic piece of sci-literature. It was however written over 100 years ago, so understanding of physics etc. wasn't really up to snuff.

Alex F
01-18-11, 14:53
I'm looking forward to this movie... definitely looks like one to see in the theater.

Abraxas
01-19-11, 07:26
Then again I was also looking forward to Skyline and we all know how that turned out.Was this no good? I never did see it but I thought that it had promise.

kwelz
01-19-11, 07:27
Was this no good? I never did see it but I thought that it had promise.

It was terrible. Most of the movie was actually ok.
The last 5 minutes or so ruined the rest of it however.

5pins
03-13-11, 14:33
So did anyone see it this weekend?

kwelz
03-13-11, 15:05
I went to see it. Enjoyed it quite a bit actually. A good mix of suspense and action.

jwfuhrman
03-13-11, 16:08
Definitely a good movie. Think a mix of Black Hawk Down gritty action and meets Independence Day(but not cheesy acting). All in All its on the GO SEE list.

Edit: its pretty much 10mins at beginning of "Get to know the cast" then from then on out, SHTF. A lot of gun fights, alot of in your face, holy shit action.

mnoe82
03-13-11, 17:12
I agree. It's a good movie. Lots of action, gunplay. Intense.

mattjmcd
03-13-11, 17:57
Okay. It's official. It's on my " 2 movies a year" list.

HwyKnight
03-13-11, 18:04
Fun, predictable, good effects, not a waste of money.

kwelz
03-13-11, 18:36
Fun, predictable, good effects, not a waste of money.

I think this sums it up nicely.

I was afraid it would be another Skyline. It was not.

variablebinary
03-13-11, 20:47
So did anyone see it this weekend?

Worth every penny.

Lots of M4/M16A4 action. Great recruiting fodder for the Marines. Aliens have a good reason to be here, but use mostly conventional weapons, which makes for good gun battles.

I enjoyed it. Better than Independence Day IMHO

Rmplstlskn
03-13-11, 20:53
I liked it... Lots of "Oh Crap!" moments...

SPOILER ALERT: Do not read below this...

As long as you leave reality at home... An alien race advanced enough to travel space, land in our atmosphere like meteors, advanced drones, etc... being defeated by a few missiles into a "comm ship"... Whatever....

But lots of fun... Money well spent! Bring on REMNANTS!

GotAmmo
03-13-11, 21:28
did anyone else notice that the main marine squad all had Magpul BUIS on there rifles?

variablebinary
03-13-11, 21:33
did anyone else notice that the main marine squad all had Magpul BUIS on there rifles?

Weapon stuff I noticed:

Magpul BUIS
Surefire rail
Larue ACOG mount

armakraut
03-14-11, 00:48
So much awesome for one movie.

Buck
03-14-11, 00:52
Half a star from Ebert...

Review (http://rogerebert.suntimes.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20110309/REVIEWS/110309992/1001)

Young men: If you attend this crap with friends who admire it, tactfully inform them they are idiots. Young women: If your date likes this movie, tell him you've been thinking it over, and you think you should consider spending some time apart.

armakraut
03-14-11, 00:58
It was a once in a lifetime chance for every degenerate pinko reviewer that hates the military to sound off, and man did they sound off. The theater was packed for the last showing on Sunday night in my jerkwater podunk town.

Mac5.56
03-14-11, 00:59
Okay. It's official. It's on my " 2 movies a year" list.

Yea, I'm thinking the same thing. I don't got to movies often, but this one may be my next!

variablebinary
03-14-11, 01:40
It was a once in a lifetime chance for every degenerate pinko reviewer that hates the military to sound off, and man did they sound off. The theater was packed for the last showing on Sunday night in my jerkwater podunk town.

That's true right there.

The reviews are absolutely brutal, and I know for a fact it's because these fat cellulite asses, iPad loving, latte sipping metrosexuals can't stand the military.

Though, it apparently did $37 million this weekend, making it the 2nd biggest opener of the year.

Zhurdan
03-14-11, 08:40

The whole principle of suspension of disbelief starts long before you walk into the theater, IMO. Part of the reason I don't seek out "internet only" trailers or read reviews other than box office numbers before I go see a movie. There's soooo many spoilers out there and it just sticks in my craw when I hear about them prior to dropping my $12. I purposefully avoid looking into a movie too hard, it helps keep the "value" up. hehe

I am sure that they must have some equivalent of an alien neutron bomb.

But of course, but that would make for an awful short movie!

"Hey, there's aliens outside"
"Really?"
*flash*
The End.:cool:

jmp45
03-14-11, 09:21
I was looking forward to this film. I skimmed a review stating it's a shaky cam film. I may pass on it if so.

kwelz
03-14-11, 09:28
I was looking forward to this film. I skimmed a review stating it's a shaky cam film. I may pass on it if so.

Not really accurate. It is shot more like Black Hawk Down. You can't get the feel of battle with a rock solid Camera. But it is nothing like Cloverfield.

jmp45
03-14-11, 09:37
Not really accurate. It is shot more like Black Hawk Down. You can't get the feel of battle with a rock solid Camera. But it is nothing like Cloverfield.

Thanks Kwelz, no problem if it's shot similar to Black Hawk. Shaky cam seems to be the way most all action films are done now. Not a fan.

parishioner
03-14-11, 09:52
That's true right there.

The reviews are absolutely brutal, and I know for a fact it's because these fat cellulite asses, iPad loving, latte sipping metrosexuals can't stand the military.

The Marine Corps would have to be the antagonists, killing the sympathetic characters on another planet in order for the movie to get good reviews remember.

mnoe82
03-14-11, 09:53

I agree. It's very similar to Black Hawk Down. It's BHD meets Independence Day without the one liners.

snappy
03-14-11, 10:05
Saw it and liked it. Lots of good realistic gunplay, (imho), not that running in slow motion and doing a flip off the wall while shooting with both hands and with perfect hair crap. Might see it again.

kwelz
03-14-11, 10:14
Question with a Spoiler ahead.

Was I the only one who smiled and felt a little emotional when the rest of the team started roping down after the Sergent against his orders? Yes it was a bit corny but a damn fine moment none the less.

Rmplstlskn
03-14-11, 10:19
Was I the only one who smiled and felt a little emotional when the rest of the team started roping down after the Sergent against his orders? Yes it was a bit corny but a damn fine moment none the less.

TEAM AMERICA... F$%K YEAH! :agree:

Rmpl

jwfuhrman
03-14-11, 12:50
TEAM AMERICA... F$%K YEAH! :agree:

Rmpl

EXACTLY. the only thing corny about this movie is the title. Otherwise this was one of the best movies I've seen in along time, and I watch a lot....

dookie1481
03-14-11, 12:53
What a steaming pile of horse dung. I was convinced they couldn't **** this up. I was clearly wrong.

steve-oh
03-14-11, 14:03
What a steaming pile of horse dung. I was convinced they couldn't **** this up. I was clearly wrong.

Care to pontificate? I mean the trailers were fairly straightforward. We knew this wasn't going to be a cinematic masterpiece.

dookie1481
03-14-11, 14:44
Care to pontificate? I mean the trailers were fairly straightforward. We knew this wasn't going to be a cinematic masterpiece.

Action-wise: It's more a critique of modern-action movies. I find the lack of continuity in scenes appalling. In this scene, this guy is here, shooting at these guys, in the next, he is somewhere else, doing something else...characters in action scenes seem to be used as part of the backdrop, instead of being part of the action. There seems to be no rhyme or reason to what happens in these scenes. Seems to have been really popularized by Transformers (or any Michael Bay shit-fest, really).

Story-wise: don't waste time with half-assed attempts at character development if you are going to be lazy and trite. The emotional scenes came off as lame and cheesy because I didn't care about any of the characters. I quite honestly had no idea who lived and who died until they showed them at the very end of the movie. If they ran with it as a faux-documentary, i think it could have worked pretty well.

I am not a movie snob, though I do love movies. I enjoy mindless popcorn flicks as much as anyone else, but this movie sucked.

Rmplstlskn
03-14-11, 15:11
The emotional scenes came off as lame and cheesy because I didn't care about any of the characters.

You make valid critique... but I guess I had lower expectations with characters and continuity.

The scenes that had me rolling my eyes were the ones with the kid and his father... Like when they were forming an escape out of the bomb zone only to STOP EVERYTHING they were doing and rush in to see the boy's dad dead... They just lost who knows how many soldiers and untold civilians right in front of them but the whole movie PAUSES for some emotional pap...

And the fact that later in the movie every wild spray&pray of bullets resulted in a "blown water bladder" in the aliens... :haha:

Rmpl

Shadow1198
03-14-11, 21:12
Half a star from Ebert...

Review (http://rogerebert.suntimes.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20110309/REVIEWS/110309992/1001)

That's also the same oxygen thief that voted for Babe: A Pig in the City as best movie of the year over.....Saving Private Ryan?! His website doesn't reflect that now, but I distinctly remember that being the case back then.

The transition to the sidearm at the end was pretty cool. Don't see that in movies too often. ;)

The movie was entertaining, but it brought to light a few of the complaints I've had about movies (more correctly theaters) and sound effects lately. First off, they made the mistake of using pathetic-sounding dubbed gunshots. If there is one thing that takes me out of being engrossed in a movie, it's horrible sound effects. Makes me feel like I'm watching a video game. Give me realistic sounds like HEAT and I'm golden.

Second, is it just me or does it seem like a majority of movie theaters nowadays have HORRIBLE audio quality? I'm talking, so bad my friggin' computer has higher quality audio. This is one of the reasons I almost never go to the movies anymore.

Rmplstlskn
03-14-11, 21:54
Second, is it just me or does it seem like a majority of movie theaters nowadays have HORRIBLE audio quality? I'm talking, so bad my friggin' computer has higher quality audio. This is one of the reasons I almost never go to the movies anymore.

The theatre I went to was a new one with DLP (digital) projectors and awesome sound... Almost too loud, but very clear vocals...

Rmpl

GotAmmo
03-15-11, 00:08
Question with a Spoiler ahead.

it was motivating to say the least

devildogljb
03-15-11, 03:56
i thought it was a good movie i say its def worth seeing

QuickStrike
03-15-11, 04:47
This thread makes me wanna go see it. A co-worker said one of his friends walked out in the middle of the movie, but the friend might be some sort of libtard...

In other movie news...

They better not !@ck up "At The Mountain of Madness"! :mad:

dookie1481
03-15-11, 10:44
In other movie news...

They better not !@ck up "At The Mountain of Madness"! :mad:

They aren't making it, apparently.

http://www.aintitcool.com/node/48775

sadmin
03-15-11, 10:55
I went last night...my vote is matinee or someone buys your ticket at best. Im all pro-us military movies, but this storyline was bush league.

variablebinary
03-20-11, 04:54
Marines took too long.

The Army would have made light work of alien ground troops...just sayin'. Bet all you XM25 haters are rethinking your game plan now, huh.

http://thecommuner.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/12/XM-25.jpg

RogerinTPA
03-20-11, 17:20
I checked it out the other night and despite some failings, I thought it was pretty damn good flick. I thought the SSG's team fast roping in behind him was pretty touching, so was the ending where instead of eating chow after taking out the C&C node and making it back safe, the SSG started loading his Mags, then his team does the same to get back in the fight. I'd see it again.

Heartland Hawk
03-20-11, 17:30

:lol:

FromMyColdDeadHand
03-20-11, 20:56
I checked it out the other night and despite some failings, I thought it was pretty damn good flick. I thought the SSG's team fast roping in behind him was pretty touching, so was the ending where instead of eating chow after taking out the C&C node and making it back safe, the SSG started loading his Mags, then his team does the same to get back in the fight. I'd see it again.

Very Hoot-ish from the end of "Blackhawk Down".

I thought it was pretty good- not perfect. I still think the standard for these movies is "Aliens" with the Marines. I know these are science fiction movies, but when plot lines and probabilities get all goofy (see StarWars Eps. 1-3) I think it detracts from the movie.

kwelz
03-21-11, 08:27
Very Hoot-ish from the end of "Blackhawk Down".

That was my thought as well. Not original to be sure. But it fit the character well.

Alex F
03-21-11, 08:30
I went with the fiance saturday, she didn't think she'd like it (she did it as a favor, since she makes me watch her chick flicks) but she ended up really getting into it.

She liked the kick ass female Air Force NCO at the end... the bayonet scene in particular.

I enjoyed the movie. It was out there (but it was sci-fi), but the small unit and the close in camera work did a good job of putting you right in the action.

I'll probably buy the blu-ray.

Littlelebowski
03-22-11, 11:12
The Army would still be spending millions and years of time figuring out why their retarded camouflage doesn't work.

Marines took too long.

The Army would have made light work of alien ground troops...just sayin'. Bet all you XM25 haters are rethinking your game plan now, huh.

Lumpy196
03-23-11, 17:50
I found it entertaining.

I also find entertaining critics that bitch because a movie about a space alien invasion isn't realistic or well acted enough.

jaydoc1
03-23-11, 23:58
The Army would still be spending millions and years of time figuring out why their retarded camouflage doesn't work.

:sarcastic:

LowSpeed_HighDrag
03-24-11, 00:17
Marines took too long.

Is...is that picture for real? Is a concrete block trying to make love to a tree?

dookie1481
03-24-11, 00:30
I found it entertaining.

I also find entertaining critics that bitch because a movie about a space alien invasion isn't realistic or well acted enough.

I don't mind bad acting. I do mind a half-hearted attempt at story-telling because some ****ing focus group or studio exec thought it would test better to XYZ demographic. If they just threw out all the bullshit scenes where they ran down the checklist of war-movie stereotypes I would have been much happier.