PDA

View Full Version : Anyone else notice this with Glocks?

Linea_de_Fuego
08-25-07, 22:20
I could not get the slide to lock back on the last round and thought that this was a function of the magazine follower.

I must confess that I usually shoot a 1911 where my right thumb rides the thumb safety and the left thumb is parallel and just under my right thumb. This similar grip with my Glock doesn't work for me, and the frame is the Gen 2.5 with the thumb well.

I learned that my thumb was putting pressure on the slide release so that the slide would not lock back on the last round.

Switching pistol platforms requires a lot of training.

trio
08-25-07, 22:48
yes, I have that exact same issue....I also "ride the safety" when shoot thumbs forward with a 1911...

With my glocks (I generally carry a G19 or G17) I find that I put my right thumb over on top of my hand, rather than keeping it on the frame like I do with a 1911 for the exact same reason as you...at times I will hold the slide release down...

It is nowhere near as bad with glocks, though, for me as it is with Sigs....i have big hands, with big thumbs, and i do it ALL the time with sigs pretty much...

Fortunately I am not a big fan of the DA/SA triggers, so i can avoid that...

Don Robison
08-26-07, 01:42
I know several people who have the same issue with Glocks and Sigs. In this case it's nice being a lefty:)

RD62
08-26-07, 16:50
Hadn't notice this problem with my Glocks, but did with my Beretta.

-RD62

RogerinTPA
08-27-07, 20:49
My Glock 23, 1st Gen, has a tendency for the trigger pin (Assuming thats what it is, located right above and aft) to drift out about a 1/8 to 1/4 inch when shooting over 100 rounds doing double taps and rapid fire. I just use my pen or a coin to pop it back in. Do I need to have that pin replaced or is this a normal thing? :confused:

Linea_de_Fuego
08-28-07, 14:52
My Glock 23, 1st Gen, has a tendency for the trigger pin (Assuming thats what it is, located right above and aft) to drift out about a 1/8 to 1/4 inch when shooting over 100 rounds doing double taps and rapid fire. I just use my pen or a coin to pop it back in. Do I need to have that pin replaced or is this a normal thing? :confused:

No, not normal for the trigger pin to walk out. I have read that the frame hole can enlarge, and if so I think the pistol would need to go to the factory for an overhaul.

GotM4 could verify this.

Joe Mamma
08-28-07, 17:46
No, not normal for the trigger pin to walk out. I have read that the frame hole can enlarge, and if so I think the pistol would need to go to the factory for an overhaul.

GotM4 could verify this.

I am not GotM4 but, I will try to help.

A new trigger pin may help. What happens sometimes is that the edge on the inner grooves of the trigger pin gets worn and it doesn't get held in the frame as securely. The first sign of this is a gun that is really easy to detail strip because the pins come out easily. On new guns, it's often difficult to get the trigger pins out. If you look at a trigger pin when it is out of a gun, there are two grooves, one on each side. FYI, the pin is completely symetrical so technically, there is no left or right side.

When installed in the gun, the groove on the left side of the pin is where the slide stop lever (SSL) sits. It is held in that groove by the slight pressure of the little spring that is attached to the SSL. This is what keeps the trigger pin from coming out of the frame. If I remember correctly, the groove on the right side is not used.

What I would suggest is to remove the trigger pin, flip it around, and reinstall it (so the left side of the pin is now on the right side and vice versa). This way, you are starting with a fresh groove on the left side.

If you routinely detail strip your gun and have removed your trigger pin many times, you should probably just get a new trigger pin (becaus both grooves may be worn), and possible a new SSL. Now that I think about it, it could be the inner edge of the hole (for the trigger pin) in the SSL that is worn.

A trigger pin is cheap, and a SSL is also not very expensive. But, just make sure you get the correct SSL for your gun (1st gen).

These are just cheap things you should try before sending it back to the factory.

I hope this helps.

Joe Mamma

Robb Jensen
08-30-07, 06:13

GotM4 could verify this.

What Joe said is correct. I find that 99% of the time a new trigger pin and a new slide catch will solve the problem (each thing is about $2). I find that most people disassemble the frame incorrectly, they use a punch and hammer the trigger pin out. This ends up removing metal from the slide catch and less is holding onto the pin when assembled.

The pin will come out left to right with just pressure from the Glock tool while you manipulate the slide catch forward and rearward and side to side.

blackscot
08-30-07, 06:39
Hadn't notice this problem with my Glocks, but did with my Beretta......

+1, and big-time. The lever really sticks out a lot more than the Glocks', and my thumb could not but hold it down pretty much full-time. Ended up selling it, even though I liked a lot of other aspects of it.

http://i113.photobucket.com/albums/n232/blackscot/pistols/beretta004.jpg

.....most people disassemble the frame incorrectly, they use a punch and hammer the trigger pin out. This ends up removing metal from the slide catch and less is holding onto the pin when assembled.

The pin will come out left to right with just pressure from the Glock tool while you manipulate the slide catch forward and rearward and side to side.

Didn't know that. Will be sure to handle mine correctly.

I love this site!:D

Keith E.
08-30-07, 12:23
I learned that my thumb was putting pressure on the slide release so that the slide would not lock back on the last round.

I had a situation w/ a G-35 where I was locking the slide back w/ a thumb during strings of fire. I changed from an extended to standard length slide release and problem solved.

Keith

Ed for sp

Robb Jensen
08-30-07, 17:44
I had a situation w/ a G-35 where I was locking the slide back w/ a thumb during strings of fire. I changed from an extended to standard length slide release and problem solved.

Keith

Ed for sp

I can't use Glocks extended slide catches (like on G34s and G35s) because I grip so high up on the gun with my support hand that I lock it to slide lock during firing.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v408/gotm4/57fdfe4b.jpg

RogerinTPA
08-30-07, 22:50
A trigger pin is cheap, and a SSL is also not very expensive. But, just make sure you get the correct SSL for your gun (1st gen).

These are just cheap things you should try before sending it back to the factory.

appreciate the advise Joe Momma, thanks for the help.