PDA

View Full Version : Polishing mags?

chevellemrwl
01-15-11, 01:44
Ive been on a few equipment exchanges, looking for 92FS mags. Mine in my Taurus are blued and polished. Most of the ones ppl are looking to sell are unfinished.

Was looking into doing some polishing and reblueing of the mags. Ive done some polishing of car parts, chrome and stainless steel mostly. But have yet to break into the gun polishing yet.

Is it really worth the time to polish them up and blue them, or leave them unfinished? I prefer to do a lot of the work myself, and dont mind taking a few weekends to do it either.

Just wondering if anyone has taken it upon themselves to do their magazines? Ive felt the difference between a nicely polished mag vs an unfinished one.

And for that matter, if anyone has any to sell, always looked to stock up.

joker581
01-15-11, 05:23
What do you mean when you say "unfinished"? If you are talking about mags that are really unfinished, in the white, then some sort of finish would be essential. I suspect that what you are seeing are actually parkerized mags that have a finish on them that isn't shiny. I would keep them as-is.

SIGguy229
01-15-11, 05:23
Are they mags "unpolished" or just worn?

IMO, they are not worth the time to reblue....unless you want to spend the time yourself. I'd keep using them until they malfunction (for range use)....use newer, used mags for daily carry.

YMMV.

chevellemrwl
01-15-11, 10:13
Yeah I have the factory originals that would be the ones for carry. Just looking to acquire some new ones that I could use for, like you said, range use. I think taking a weekend and trying to polish them up wouldn't be a bad investment of my time. The reblueing might not be worth the work though.

The mags appear to be just Brand X stamped steel mags. I know that the SS ones from Wilson Combat are smoother operating in my 1911 vs the factory mag. So wondering if I could apply the polishing techniques to these Plain Jane stamped mags and get some improvement of dropping free and such.

The used price interests me, vs new Taurus mags are 25-35 a piece. Was really interested to see if someone actually have a before and after of some they've done. To see if they noticed a difference in inserting and dropping free in the mag well.

SWAT Lt.
01-15-11, 11:29
The appearance of the mag is not what makes it function reliably. I know mags can be expensive, but I would stay away from aftermarket magazines. Most of the time Brand X mags = POS mags. Also, you cannot compare a 1911 Wilson mag and its performance to a "brand X mag." Save your money for OEM mags.

mkmckinley
01-15-11, 13:33
Polishing and rebluing POS mags sounds like a fool's errand to me. What's your time worth to you?