PDA

View Full Version : Cheap Knock Around Build

BoomerShooter
01-15-11, 15:49
I just finished my cheap knock around build. Just gotta put a scope on it but other than that its ready to rumble.

Spikes Lower
Palmetto LPK
Magpul Trigger Guard
Magpul Midlength Handguard
Magpul Grip
Ergo F93
DSA Upper
RRA Chrome BCG

http://www.boomershooter.com/upload/images/66351150676689690366.jpg

Red Knight
01-15-11, 20:37
That's a sweet looking rifle you built there! What kind of rear sight you going to place on it?

BoomerShooter
01-15-11, 20:39
I think I'm just gonna pick up a magpul mbus rear - its cheap and I have optics on the way so it is exactly that - a backup site. The ARMS polymer sight is an option also

BAC
01-15-11, 20:47
How cheap is cheap?

-B

BoomerShooter
01-15-11, 21:01
Under 700 with all the upgrade furniture and options that I put on it...

120mm
01-15-11, 22:14

I don't understand the logic behind "upgrade furniture and options" and "cheap carbine".

Kind of not what this forum is about.

You'd be better served by not buying junk functional parts and leaving off the "upgrades and options". You can chrome plate a turd, but underneath, it's still just a turd. Specifically, your RRA chrome BCG and DSA upper just doesn't cut it. For a few dollars more, or even the same money, you could've done better.

For around $800, you can build a quality carbine that is plain vanilla, but has a better chance of working when you need it to.

BoomerShooter
01-15-11, 22:27
I'm in the process of building a full billet competition rifle - I had spare lowers laying around and wanted a gun that I can just take and beat around, throw in the back of the truck while at the deer camp and not worry about throwing my 2000+ rifle with 1000+ scope around. So yes it did exactly what I wanted.

And the furniture is what I like. Its like painting the inside of your house - unless you are someone with all white walls and then that could explain it

FSTRN
02-16-11, 03:58
For around $800, you can build a quality carbine that is plain vanilla, but has a better chance of working when you need it to.

I'm a newby here but have one build under my belt (It was a plain-jane 20" and that quite a while ago). I am interested in another build and what you describe here is pretty much what I intend to create. For around $800, what components are you thinking of for a plain vanilla carbine? I ask this because I was looking at DSA upper.

120mm
02-16-11, 04:48
I'm a newby here but have one build under my belt (It was a plain-jane 20" and that quite a while ago). I am interested in another build and what you describe here is pretty much what I intend to create. For around $800, what components are you thinking of for a plain vanilla carbine? I ask this because I was looking at DSA upper.

http://www.spikestactical.com/new/z/st15-m4-le-carbine-p-387.html

http://www.accuratearmory.com/Firearms/ClassicCarbine.aspx

Both of those are complete weapons for around $800 once transferred.

Alternatively, you could do this:

http://www.gandrtactical.com/cgi-bin/commerce.cgi?preadd=action&key=UPR-BCM

With DD BCG, milspec handle and C6 forearms it's $573

and this:

http://palmettostatearmory.com/1726.php

$239

$812 + transfer fees and shipping.

There are three viable options that will result in a very, very nice plain jane SHOOTER versus a toy.

FSTRN
02-16-11, 06:50
Thanks for the quick follow-up. I have been looking at that BCM upper assembly and I think I'll probably go with that after all. That PSA lower can't be beat for the price. Definitely something to think about. Thanks again.

MistWolf
02-16-11, 14:10
I don't understand the logic behind "upgrade furniture and options" and "cheap carbine".

Kind of not what this forum is about.

You'd be better served by not buying junk functional parts and leaving off the "upgrades and options". You can chrome plate a turd, but underneath, it's still just a turd. Specifically, your RRA chrome BCG and DSA upper just doesn't cut it. For a few dollars more, or even the same money, you could've done better.

What part of the DSA upper doesn't work? (I understand about the RRA BCG.) From what I understand, as long as the upper (and lower) receiver(s) are in spec, parts is parts. I assume it's the DSA barrel?

crewdog72
03-01-11, 09:47
I ordered a 16” Middy Upper and A3 Sight Handle on 30 Jan. My credit card was charged for the Sight on 9 Feb and the Upper on 15 Feb. My order is still listed as B/O ... no shipment date set. Two e-mails have gone unanswered!? Net research on AR15, M4 and other gun sites has shown that this is typical customer service for DSA. I simply can’t understand why a company would allow this kind of poor service to continue? At least most people seem happy with the product when it does, finally, arrive!!?? I suppose when I ordered my BCG and CH from Bravo I should have ordered an Upper too??

amd5007
03-01-11, 18:56
Looks like a nice rifle. I recently built a Del-Ton 20in A4 and it's pretty sweet.

Nothing wrong with knock around builds.

bulbvivid
03-01-11, 19:48
Though somewhat out of place at M4C, I can see the appeal of beater guns—maybe to loan to friends for range plinking or for the other reasons the OP listed—even if I may not be able to justify one for myself.

Maybe there needs to be a "beater build" thread where people can discuss such things in context. I'm not talking about an "I just bought an Oly for $500"-type thread, more of an "I took a bunch of spare parts and added a couple others and got a gun for my spare change" kind of thread. I've seen a few of these posts pop up, so why not give them one place to go.

It might do well to leave vendor/manufacturer CS and other, umm . . . technical problems with said equipment out of the thread.

af22raptor
03-02-11, 01:01
I just finished my cheap knock around build. Just gotta put a scope on it but other than that its ready to rumble.

Spikes Lower
Palmetto LPK
Magpul Trigger Guard
Magpul Midlength Handguard
Magpul Grip
Ergo F93
DSA Upper
RRA Chrome BCG

http://www.boomershooter.com/upload/images/66351150676689690366.jpg

That is a very nice Setup! I have been looking at the DSA upper and I was wondering how is the accuracy and reliability of the unit? I have been thinking about using the DSA upper as a base for a 3gun Match rifle.

Iraqgunz
03-02-11, 01:07
First off, the custom forum isn't for "beater" guns. It's for AR's that have been put togther with various select features that aren't the norm.

I also don't see the reason behind beater guns. I don't loan out firearms and my 3500.00 SBR gets thrown in the back with everything else. That is what is what built for. Self defense and shooting.

amd5007
03-02-11, 06:53
Maybe there needs to be a "beater build" thread where people can discuss such things in context. I'm not talking about an "I just bought an Oly for $500"-type thread, more of an "I took a bunch of spare parts and added a couple others and got a gun for my spare change" kind of thread. I've seen a few of these posts pop up, so why not give them one place to go.

I second that.

Fried Chicken Blowout
03-02-11, 20:18

WOW!!! Nice build for under $700... Spikes makes good cost effective stiff. That's where I'm headed with my build after I get done with my .22 LR build.

ddemis
03-03-11, 09:41
Boomershooter built what he wanted: a weapon he can shoot wolf ammo through, leave it dirty once in a while, throw it around and not treat it like a trophy. When you get the chance give us a range/function report, I would like to hear how she performed.

lethal dose
03-03-11, 10:04
Boomershooter built what he wanted: a weapon he can shoot wolf ammo through, leave it dirty once in a while, throw it around and not treat it like a trophy. When you get the chance give us a range/function report, I would like to hear how she performed.
I shoot wolf ammo, leave my guns dirty, throw them around, and CERTAINLY don't treat them like trophies. Only difference is: I know my weapons will go bang... every time. My thinking has always been: even if it is just a range toy, I'd rather spend the extra $50-$100 and have the peace of mind. Then again, I don't consider any weapon chambered in .223 a toy. If you can afford ammo for an ar, you can afford to spend a little extra on a quality build.

boss_pc2
03-04-11, 14:17
Looks good! Who cares what others think, its your money and your money saved!

Now i remember why i dont post over here! Peace!