PDA

View Full Version : Leupold MR/T 1.5-5x M2

ashooter
08-26-07, 14:53
USMC03 has done about the best review of this optic that I've seen, but I just wanted to chime in for anybody who's still on the fence about whether or not this scope will get the job done... Of course, it depends on what "the job" is. I'll preface my comments by saying that I've owned Aimpoints, EOTechs, an S&B Short Dot, a Nightforce 1-4, a Nightforce 2.5-10, a Meopta Meostar 1-4, and ACOG TA01/TA31/TA11F. After one trip to the range, I like this better than any of them.

The short version is that this scope is not a "one who does it all" like the Short Dot tries to be (and succeeds better than anything else does), but it fills the role of the mid-range optic that can still get it done across the room better than anything else I've ever used.

The illuminated reticle is not visible in daylight, but can be used quite effectively indoors or in the dark and feels a lot like an EOTech in that mode. Not as effective across the room as a Short Dot, but at least as good as a Nightforce 1-4. The SPR reticle is VERY precise at distance. Much easier to shoot little bitty groups with than any of the variables listed above except the NF 2.5-10, which is really in a different class altogether. The Meopta K-Dot and NF 1-4 FC-2 reticle are too coarse for precision shooting, and I'm one of the oddballs that never could get used to that blue haze when looking through a Short Dot. The haze wasn't a problem at 0-50m, but was very distracting/disappointing to me when trying to hit small at 100m and beyond.

My opinions:

1) To me, the Short Dot is a CQB scope that is useable with some amount of precision at distance. The Meopta K-Dot would fall into that category as well, with the NF 1-4 sort of trying to, but not exactly succeeding because of the lack of daytime illum.

2) This 1.5-5 MR/T on the other hand seems to me to be a precision mid-range scope that can be used for CQB. Sort of the inverse of priorities from the Short Dot... which suits me better since I have an Aimpoint on my SBR for purely short-range shooting.

3) As an alternative to an ACOG, I think this thing wins hands-down. Approaching the problem from the other direction: As an alternative to an Aimpoint, the Short Dot is a better plan and this scope really can't compete with it as a CQB optic.... but it works a lot better as a CQB optic than an ACOG.

As long as windage and elevation track consistently and the scope is as rugged as it seems at first glance, I'm very impressed with it.

SHIVAN
08-26-07, 15:27
I'm in the process of SBR'ing my AR10. The optic I chose for use on the AR10 is the Leupold Mark4 MR/T M2 as you reviewed above.

I own the S&B Short Dot as well, and I find that your review is mirroring many of my sentiments about the contrasting features of these two optics.

Only difference in opinion is in regards to the "blue haze". I find the S&B optic to be exceptionally clear, though there is a blue tint to the sight picture. As you noted, it's an extremely personal preference, and you'd have to use it/see it to know what you like.

All in all, I think the MR/T M2 will be a great scope for my SBR AR-10.

ashooter
08-26-07, 15:58
...Only difference in opinion is in regards to the "blue haze". I find the S&B optic to be exceptionally clear, though there is a blue tint to the sight picture. As you noted, it's an extremely personal preference, and you'd have to use it/see it to know what you like...

I agree! Some people say it doesn't bother them at all.

Maybe it just bugged me because I'd look at something with a 10 year old ACOG that was worth maybe $500 on the open market and I could see more target detail/definition than I could with my $1800 Short Dot. It just bugged the hell outta me... but I admit it may have been more of a mental issue than a practical one.

That said, if I was truly trying to build a single M4 type carbine that could do everything I'd ever ask a carbine to do, I'd sell a kidney and stick a Short Dot on top of it. Since I can have more than one AR, the ideal solution for me seems to be Aimpoint on one and this MR/T on the other.

R Moran
08-26-07, 17:31
FWIW,
At a recent carbine course(spartan tactical), one of the instructors told me, they were working with Leupold to correct some of the short comings of the MR/T, Daylight visibility of teh illuminatedreticle was one of them.
The upgrades are supposed to be backwards compatible, so you can send in an older scope and have it upgraded.

Bob

Left Sig
08-26-07, 17:39
I've been reading a lot of the reviews on the MR/T 1.5-5x and had been considering getting one or paying the extra and getting a Nightforce NXS 1-4x. I wanted a do-it-all scope with daytime illumination and a reticle that worked at short and long ranges. And I also didn't want something huge that weighed a pound and a half with the mount!

I agree with the comments about the coarseness of the Nightforce FC-2 and Meopta K-Dot reticles, and other observations by Ashooter.

Anyway, I went to the Indianapolis 1500 Gun Show today and found something I didn't expect:

Leupold Mark 4 1.5-5 x 20mm PR - marked at $499, but talked down to $450!

This is basically the optics of the MR/T 1.5-5x except with a 1 inch tube, no illumination, and the regular 1/4 minute covered turrets. The going rate for these on MidwayUSA is $599.

So I bought it. I don't use my carbine professionally, so despite the "wants" listed above, what I really needed was a versatile scope for daytime range use. I don't have any place to shoot at night, so the low-light-only illumination of the MR/T would basically go unused. And I would prefer to zero the scope and then use the reticle for hold-overs so I don't see myself needing the M2 BDC dials. And it weighs less than 10 ounces instead of the 15-18 ounce range for the 30 mm low power variable scopes.

I'm thinking of getting the Larue SPR-M4 mount. You can get it with 1" rings, but I think it might be a better idea to get the 30 mm rings with a set of 1" inserts so the mount can be used with a 30 mm optic if I upgrade. Anyone use either setup?

TWR
08-26-07, 22:18
I've got a VXIII 1.5-5 in a LaRue 1.93 mount with 1" rings to keep a clean sight picture, though most seem to prefer the 1.5, anyway I use the standard duplex with zero problems.

I have a buddy who has the same mount but with 30mm rings and 1" spacers for his MK4 SPR scope, the same one you bought. I like it just fine but couldn't see the extra $200.00 for it over the VXIII. Of course you stole yours and the SPR reticle is nice, you should be pleased with it.

I guess most desire an iulluminated reticle for a BAC type close range sight (correct?) but other than that, I don't think you'll miss it. For using it as a standard scope I've never had any problems shooting in the dark as long as a light is on the target. (shooting coyotes at night in Texas with a spotlight)

ashooter
08-27-07, 09:13
FWIW,
At a recent carbine course(spartan tactical), one of the instructors told me, they were working with Leupold to correct some of the short comings of the MR/T, Daylight visibility of teh illuminatedreticle was one of them.
The upgrades are supposed to be backwards compatible, so you can send in an older scope and have it upgraded.

Bob

That's good to hear, Bob! Any idea when the upgrades will be available to "earth people" like me?

Lloyd

SHIVAN
08-27-07, 10:35
I guess most desire an iulluminated reticle for...

I've found that the illuminated reticle works well against dark targets, even in the daylight. It's not ideal on the Leupolds yet, but I hope they fix it.

R Moran
08-27-07, 13:00
That's good to hear, Bob! Any idea when the upgrades will be available to "earth people" like me?

Lloyd

I don't really remember a timeline, but I remember thinking it won't be long. But knowing how things work, it'll be years. Sorry don't know more.

Bob

ashooter
08-28-07, 20:13
Update: I remembered something Pat Rogers talked about in a carbine class (imagine that), and I tried closing the front Butler Creek type lense cap and using the illum reticle as an occluded eye gunsight. Works GREAT indoors, but I haven't tried it outside in full sunlight.

Also, since I mentioned the NF 1-4 earlier, I will say that I like most of the features of the Nightforce better - smaller scope, capped turrets, no easily (accidentally) adjustable focus eyepiece, less obtrusive illum dial... If they'd make the center dot about 1 MOA but otherwise leave the FC-2 reticle the same, I think it would make their scope a lot more versatile since it would allow more precision for long shots... but that's just my opinion.

This Leupold's SPR reticle is really its strongest feature, in my opinion.

Left Sig
08-28-07, 20:43
I was thinking the same thing about the NF FC-2 reticle needing a smaller center dot. I talked with a Nightforce tech and he suggested the NP-1 reticle for precision whereas the FC-2 was made for speed on man-sized targets.

If Leupold would make a true 1x or a 1.1x MR/T with the SPR, I think that would be almost ideal. Maybe the next update will have that along with the daytime illumination...

After buying my MR/T 1" scope I looked at an IOR 1.1-4x scope. The thing was huge and heavy, almost comically so. But the 1.1x setting was really nice for both eyes open sighting.

Sooner or later someone will get it right at a "reasonable" price point.

macman37
08-28-07, 21:15
I am no door kicker or anything but I love the 1.5-5 MR/T on my ADCO upper.

Easily the most accurate rifle I own.