PDA

View Full Version : AR/M16 mags with green followers

Slater
01-16-11, 10:24
With all the improved magazine followers on the market these days I would imagine that the old green version is pretty much history, or at least on it's way there. I have a few mags with this particular follower and haven't had any issues, but then I'm not a high volume shooter either. Was it really as problematic as I've heard?

tgace
01-16-11, 11:03
For how cheaply you can replace them with some nice Magpul non-tilts, it's better to just replace them IMO. But I wouldn't be loosing any sleep over them.

500grains
01-16-11, 11:37
With all the improved magazine followers on the market these days I would imagine that the old green version is pretty much history, or at least on it's way there. I have a few mags with this particular follower and haven't had any issues, but then I'm not a high volume shooter either. Was it really as problematic as I've heard?

Across a large number of shooters, the pmag shows much greater reliability than the green follower milspec mags. Since you only have a few, it is not a significant financial burden to replace them with the more reliable product. If you had 100 of them, I might suggest reserving green follower mags for practice at the range, while using PMAGs for more serious shooting.

The foregoing is my opinion only.

tgace
01-16-11, 16:16
I "refurbed" some milspec mags with Magpul followers and baseplates. As long as I keep an eye on the feed lips, they work great. But whenever I buy mew magazines, they are always P-Mags.

GLOCKMASTER
01-16-11, 16:24

If they are working then I would continue to use them until they prove otherwise. I have used both aluminum mags and PMAGS they will both fail you at some point.

RogerinTPA
01-16-11, 16:33

The potential is there, specifically for the follower to nose dive and get stuck with rounds in them, when the inside of the mag is very dirty, causing a FTFeed. Most users, including active duty folks, haven't had too many issues with them. The green followers should be GTG for the average shooter, but most would, as a precaution, replace them with Magpul followers, especially for a carbine course for added reliability.

GLOCKMASTER
01-16-11, 16:43
I just used the search button for this topic and there are already enough threads related to this topic.

C4IGrant
01-16-11, 17:00

Yes (for many reasons).

The USGI mag was designed to be used ONE TIME and discarded.

The feed lips spread easily (causing double feeds). The SS springs in them are cheap and wear out quickly. They can also be crushed easily.

The follower typically cavitates on the last 3-4 rounds causing all types of interesting malfunctions.

USGI mags are fine IMHO if you do the following to them:

1. Get a feed lip gauge so you can check them every so often.
2. Change out the springs every 3k (giver or take a thousand).
3. Change out the follower for a Magpul Enhanced one.

C4