PDA

View Full Version : Preparation for a 2000 Mile Thru-Hike?

Erik 1
01-16-11, 13:20
My son (24 years old) is considering an approximately 2000 mile thru-hike that would start at the Northern end of the Florida trail and work North to and then along the Appalachian trail; essentially, a portion of the Eastern Continental Trail. The intended timeline is to start in Florida not too long from now and work North, hiking into the warmer weather. My son is an experienced hiker, and he is doing his own research into the terrain, route, suggested equipment, required permits, etc. I have implicit faith in his common sense and his abilities, and I am sure he can figure this out on his own. That having been said, I know this forum's membership has a lot of expertise in the area of wilderness survival, so I thought I would see if I could tap into it.

With all that in mind, I would be very appreciative of any advice as to:

essential equipment
optional equipment
information resources (online or print)
recommended reading
general preparedness
supplies
first aid
other

Thanks in advance.

Erik

jklaughrey
01-16-11, 14:57
Pre loaded debit/CC card for emergencies(also some stashed cash)

Sat. phone

GPS

Everything else is common sense based on route/terrain/physical limits.

Erik 1
01-16-11, 23:56
Thanks. I'll look into the sat. phone. That's one thing I hadn't thought of.

jklaughrey
01-17-11, 00:07
On sat. phones I think some outfits will rent them or lease them. Also, another thing to think is a locator, like a backtrack locator http://www.amazon.com/Bushnell-BackTrack-Personal-Locator-International/dp/B0024UJ762 or the emergency locator http://avantehandsfree.com/spot1emergencybeaconlocatorgpstracker-globalcoverage-50rebate.aspx

Cheers

Heavy Metal
01-17-11, 00:09
You don't need a sat phone.

Get a Technicians liscense and a good 2m HT. That will give you great coverage from the trail.

Erik 1
01-17-11, 00:15
I'll look into the locator and 2m HT as well. These are great suggestions since my own biggest concern is what happens if he's injured in a remote location. Thank you.

jklaughrey
01-17-11, 00:22
HM is right, I just use a sat. phone because it is easier for me, LOL. But yeah when it comes to your life or life of loved ones never skimp on quality and better to be over prepared than under prepared.

OPPFOR
01-17-11, 00:37
I saw a good documentary on this last week. It covers everything from hiking a couple days to thru-hikes. The trail itself is maintained and marked very well by volunteers year round. Make sure you register as a thru-hiker. There is a time limit, something like 6 months. Only a quarter of all who attempt it succeed because many don't realize the mental toughness it takes to hike that distance.

One point that was emphasized was over packing. There is a small store on the trail itself in Georgia I believe. The man that runs the store makes a small fortune every year shipping excess gear back home for hikers who brought too much junk with them.

Money is key on a thru-hike. There are many small towns along the way and most hikers will need money for meals and hotel fees. After several days on the trail, a shower makes life a little more bearable for you and others around you.

OPPFOR
01-17-11, 00:38
http://channel.nationalgeographic.com/episode/appalachian-trail-3591/Overview

Looks like it will be airing again Jan. 18. Check it out.

Erik 1
01-17-11, 08:43
Thanks. I don't have cable but I'll see if we can find it online. It looks like there's some interesting info on the NG site.

OPPFOR
01-17-11, 09:11
Here is some more info: http://www.appalachiantrail.org/site/c.mqLTIYOwGlF/b.4805477/k.E7BD/Planning_a_ThruHike.htm

You may want to call them for more details. A better route is to look on the internet and see if you can get in contact with someone who has hiked the entire trail.

Erik 1
01-17-11, 09:44
Thanks. My son has been looking at those sources for both the Florida and Appalachian trails. There are forums and websites that are devoted to them that seem to have pretty good info, including updates from people who have done the hikes, gear suggestions, etc.

LaVista
01-17-11, 17:38
I walked a 400+ mile section of the Appalachian trail last spring and had a lot of lessons learned in terms of long distance foot travel, averaging about 20 miles per day. It took me about a month to get from harpers ferry West Virginia to Central park in New York City.

I used a Mystery Ranch 3-day assault pack (2000 cubic inches) for my bag which was a little on the small side, but with a minimalist approach I was able to cram everything I was carrying along with me just fine. (28lb's with food for 5 days). Outside and Backpacker magazine have good starting points for thru-hiker packing lists. I slept in a hammock on most nights but spent some nights at shelters.

It was a very interesting experience to say the least.

bkb0000
01-17-11, 17:41
get him a SPOT beacon.

and a solar charger, if he doesn't already own one.

LaVista
01-17-11, 18:04
I hiked along with a friend and he carried a SPOT beacon and it was definitely worthwhile in our minds to know that we could reliably put our our location to rescue, and some friends of ours were following our progress just for fun.

I wouldn't worry about a satellite radio or Ham radio, I had perfectly good sms/phone service for almost the entire duration of my trip and even had data service for the most part. I used a blackberry with removable lithium batteries unlike Ipyhone and also 2 extra batteries to extend my range. Sometimes I would use it to play streaming music in camp for a little while.

I started with a Solio solar charger but it's not very useful on the appalachian trail, you're almost always walking in the woods and I could never really generate a meaningful charge. You're better off just carrying the amount of AA batteries you will need. Resupply isn't really an issue for the most part.

Heavy Metal
01-17-11, 18:21
I carry a 2m Yaesu VX-170 when I am on the trail. I know of several places on the trail where I do not have cellular coverage in Southwest Virginia. The Lynn Camp section for instance, is quite down in the hole and even on the ridgetops there, you have zero cellular coverage. The radio is ruggidized to mil standards and is immersion proof to three feet.

The 2m always can raise at least a couple of repeaters on just the rubber duck antenna. On a roll-up J-Pole, you are golden.

VMI-MO
01-17-11, 19:03
Tell him to become proficient with "self surgery" (fixing your own medical problems)

Learn as much info on this website as possible (http://www.fixingyourfeet.com/)

Make sure, mentally he knows what he is getting into. A week long hike does not compare to 2000miles.

Have him start training for it. He has to learn how to read what his body is telling him.

Sanity check/red cell his plan.

PJ

Erik 1
01-17-11, 19:04
Thanks guys. This is all helpful info. I never heard of the SPOT beacon before.

ETA: I'll point him toward the footcare website also. I think I am also going to need to do the research on the equipment, trails, etc., as well as him. The more information you guys throw out there, the more I realize that I want to really understand what's involved in this undertaking myself.

rsgard
01-17-11, 19:20
The SPOT beacon has a monthly fee i think. They seem kinda cheap too.

This is expensive but there is no monthly free and it goes to a national free sat/gps emergency network run by the military.

http://www.rei.com/product/804323

there is a cheaper one that doesnt TX an "all is well" with coords.

bkb0000
01-17-11, 19:32
Thanks guys. This is all helpful info. I never heard of the SPOT beacon before.

very cost effective, basic emergency protection-
http://www.findmespot.com/en/index.php?cid=101

you're doing right looking into it yourself. at 24, he might very well be a hiking/climbing god, and he may have a great head on his shoulders, but he's still young and ambitious and could very easily not fully grasp the undertaking he's considering and get in over his head. at about 21, 22, i'd decided i wanted to hike the PCT (pacific crest trail), over on the west coast. my parents knew i was a fairly experienced backpacker/woodsman, but encouraged me to REALLY make sure i understood the undertaking. after doing more and more research, i realized that it just wasn't something i was prepared for. and i was a pretty damn head-strong, stubborn, invincible, etc kid.

also, if its anything like the PCT, the AT will also require a support network to resupply him along the way. on the PCT, for instance, there are several places where you won't find palatable water for weeks at a time- you MUST have someone leave water for you at road crossings, and at appropriate times, as well as food and whatever else you need. etc.

i'm not in any way trying to discourage- just offering what i can.

Heavy Metal
01-17-11, 19:46
Water shouldn't be an issue on the AT if you are willing to carry a bit. It tends to be fairly abundant in the east, especially every season but the heart of the summer and there are always groups that leave potable water at trailheads(trail magic) when a pure sorce is hard to find.

I can almost always find a 1st order stream away from a developed area to use as a water source.

500grains
01-17-11, 21:28
Just FYI, No one has ever walked the full length of the Great Wall of China. Several have tried.

Erik 1
01-17-11, 21:46
I'll pass that on, in case it's his secret plan. It wouldn't surprise me in the least.

I appreciate all the input, including (especially, even) the stuff that might be considered discouraging. Assuming he decides to do the hike, I want him to go into it as prepared as possible.

Lost River
01-18-11, 00:03
Perhaps having him contact a physician who specializes in treating triathletes and endurance racers would not be a bad idea.

He may gain some wisdom and avoid some mistakes that other athletes have made.

Erik 1
01-18-11, 13:15
Thanks. That's an interesting suggestion.

mr_smiles
01-22-11, 10:23
Maybe I missed it and it's been said, but he really shouldn't go alone.

You can have all the beacons, radios, food, & shelter you can carry. But if you become unresponsive none of this is going to do you any good. Any such treks should always be done in pairs if not more. It leaves an able body to assist is something happens to the other person in the party.

By the time some body realizes he's in trouble it's too late. Not trying to be negative just realistic, 2,000 miles isn't a small trek and he will sustain injuries. So like I said again, he needs to find a partner to join him.

serevince
01-23-11, 21:16
Ok, I had to join just for the FAIL in this thread. :p

First off, your son does not need any 2m, sat phone, SPOT, partners, guns, years of training, or whatever else the crazy people who have never hiked beyond their backyard says he needs.

First: I have NOT completed a through hike of 2000 miles. I have EXTENSIVE back country back packing experience. In remote areas outside of the US.

He's hiking through AMERICA. He's hiking (hopefully) on well documented and extensively traveled trails. He can keep in plenty of contact with a simple cell phone. A simple text or call with his route plan every day or two is fine. He's not going to slide into a crevasse, or be mauled by bears, wolves, or cougars on that route! IF he twist an ankle, AND he can't get cell reception he waits a couple hours for the next hikers to come by and help him out. (caveat: When I am hiking in actual remote areas or on a route with a higher risk factor I carry a REAL 406mhz beacon, a McMurdo Fast Find)

ALONE IS FINE, he'll meet tons of friends. The past two years, I've hiked the Alta Via 1 in Italy with some friends. Each year we've linked up with other solo/ pair hikers and made some great friends. There are plenty of girls that hike the back country solo without issue.

What does he NEED to do?
Pre trip:Plan his route smartly with realistic daily mileages. Obtain the best maps recommended for his route and know how to read them.

On the trail: Take care of his feet and intake enough calories to stay healthy and not damage muscle. Use some common sense, and most importantly HAVE FUN.

(my personal rant, feel free to ignore)
SO WHAT IF HE WALKS 2000 miles? Was it an epic experience? Did he meet friends he'll keep in touch with? Does he have all sorts of great stories to share? If not I'd say he wasted 3 months of his life.:no:
(rant over)

Hopefully, if he's contemplating a trip of this length. (Realistically he should be planning 3-4 months.) He's got some hiking experience and got a basic idea about footwear, gear etc.

If not there are some great resources on the web, from people who actually have made hikes of this length.
white blaze (http://www.whiteblaze.net/) is mostly Appalachian centric, but has some great stuff. Check out their packing list.

Most importantly he has to set a date to leave and do it!

Cheers

Vince

Outlander Systems
01-23-11, 21:40
Jesus in heaven.

Mail drops and a good pair of boots.

http://www.appalachiantrail.org/site/c.mqLTIYOwGlF/b.4805573/k.6382/Resupply_and_Mail_Drops.htm

Come on, guys. He's not going to Somalia.

Heavy Metal
01-23-11, 21:52
First off, your son does not need any 2m, sat phone, SPOT, partners, guns, years of training, or whatever else the crazy people who have never hiked beyond their backyard says he needs.

The please explain what ****ing wilderness area exactly I was in with my 2 meter radio backpacking yesterday that constitutes not outside my back yard Doctor Eienstein?

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc3/hs076.snc3/14349_106798469331015_100000025861897_176959_2421801_n.jpg

It would be nice if I slipped down into a ravine to be able to contact someone considering cell coverage was only functional on the ridge tops. If I had become incapacitated, it would have been one miserable night when the temps got down to the teens. I was prepared to spend the night but I would like to know someone is aware of my location.

There were a couple of trecherous places I had to traverse and nobody had been on that trail since the last snowfall. My tracks were it! Mine and a set of Coyote tracks.

Just because you have rolled the dice and been lucky so far does not mean everyone else who has has been so lucky.

Erik 1
01-24-11, 06:42
No, he's not going to Somalia. He's also not going camping in the back yard. While I'd like it if he had a partner on the hike, and so would he, he probably won't. A satellite phone, radio or beacon will give a lot of comfort, even if never needed, and I appreciate the suggestion.

91Bravo
01-24-11, 08:57
I have hiked the more mountainous stretches of the AT over the years and just finished the 240 mile John Muir Trail in California. My experience is the the following.

1. Weight carried is the most critical factor in success on a long hike. We tore labels out of clothes, cut unnecessary buckles off tents and packs and went with what we felt was the bare minimum for a long walk.

2. We tried carrying cell phones on the first leg but sent them home because the batteries went dead and there was no was to conveniently charge them. Neither did we carry a GPS as the Muir and certainly the AT are well marked beaten down paths. On the AT there is enough foot traffic in the warmer months that someone will be along in an hour or two. The AT has very many road crossings/parallels that make it a bit safer as well. The Appalachian Trail Conference maintains a "Ridgerunner" group that walks the trail at regular intervals. A SPOT locator might be worthwhile for Dad to follow progress via the internet but we didn't bother with the weight.

91Bravo
01-24-11, 09:06
3. Good boots goes without saying. Get something that will protect against sprained ankles otherwise go on the light side. I wear mountaineering boots that are looking too heavy. Remember Pennsylvania, my home state, is one of the longest and toughest stretches. Mostly the AT follows rocky ridge tops once described as walking on baseballs.

3. Food is interesting. The Mountain House packages we carried said serves two. I lost 26 lbs using their recommendations. On the Muir we carried 1 "serves 2" per person. ie double up your caloric intake.

4. Water is plentiful but carry a filter pump. In 2000 miles you are guaranteed a case of giadiara (sp?) if you don't filter everything.

5. Snakes have never been a problem but pay attention to when stepping over logs and rocks.

91Bravo
01-24-11, 09:11
6. Resupply isn't a real problem as every 4-6 days one can hitch hike into a town or nearby general store to get basics like rice and bisquick and canned tunafish. We found that 6 days of food was all we could manage. Do not trim food to save weight. You will weaken fast. Don't ask how I know this.

7. Take time to smell the flowers, see the views and take a few pictures. Too many thru hikers pound the whole 2000 miles without ever looking up to really live the hike.

Erik 1
01-24-11, 10:03
Thanks guys. I appreciate all the suggestions (and the rants too). One question that hadn't occurred to me, but all the talk about food raises, is what's a realistic budget for a trip of this sort?

LaVista
01-24-11, 10:42
Jumping on the "Don't worry about over preparing it" bandwagon. I was going to post a similar rant but figured it would be unpopular with the survivalist mentality that a lot of forum users on this type of site have, but since somebody else came here to break the ice, i'll add my two cents:

on the 400+ Miles I transited on the AT I was never more then say, 50 feet from a trail marker. I never lost sight of the well beaten path. On the complex boulder-scrambling sections there are literally arrows spraypainted into the rock faces "Go this way!" and dotted lines to follow. Shelters are located no further then 12 miles apart and consist of one or more Lean-to's (3 walls, ceiling, floor, firepit out front), one or more level/rock free tent pads, some sort of food hanging cable or "Bear-box" cabinet that is bear-proof, and either a water source in camp, or a well marked trail typically 1/4 mile or less. Longest walk to water for me was about 2 miles. They also have "privys" or outhouses but I personally prefer to poop over a log or rock. Privy's smell like if you took 1,000 different peoples poop odor and homogenized it into one awful rank scent.

I didn't always stay at a shelter if the distances didn't work out, but we would always use them for lunch breaks, getting water, and orienting ourselves to the map - each shelter is named so they make convenient waypoints. Sometimes we would sleep in the lean-to, other times we would setup a private little camp within a couple hundred yards and stay in our hammocks.

After a few nights out on the trail, you'll start to see the same hikers over and over again. People are either headed Northbound, Georgia to Maine (NOBO, GAME), or Southbound, Maine to Georgia (SOBO, MEGA). More hikers hike GAME then MEGA. Some people will pass you, you will pass others, and some will settle in at about your pace. These people will be your hiking & shelter mates and you will make acquaintance with some of them. Thru hikers typically have a "handle" name like here on a forum. While you are hiking one way, guys hiking in the opposite direction will periodically cross your path. Typically everyone stops for a moment, asks where you're coming from/headed to, and there is a small exchange of information. First and foremost is important stuff, hazards, errors in the guidebook, trail magic, or if a water source is not viable or any other information you will want to know about the way up ahead, and they will also pick your brain for the same information on where you came from. After thats out of the way sometimes you'll stop and break for a few minutes and chit-chat about if theres anything cool on the way ahead (or behind) and then it's back on your way.

The trail is well travelled enough and all the really hazardous locations are marked as such on the trail guide & trail map. If there is a dangerous section up ahead generally most people will know about it days in advance and will make a plan to go as a group if you wish. very accurate and up to date information can be had by waiting on your side of the given obstacle and waiting for somebody to come out on your side, and ask them how it was.

I have to go out but when I get back i'll post up about my trail loadout and what I was eating and how I went about resupply, what items I sent home while out there and some other things I learned along the way.

I think that everyone should get out and go backpacking for a week or more, it was an eye opening experience and left me feeling much more prepared and in control of my own fate, knowing what sort of hardships you can endure after you accept the loss of certain comforts. Lots of people like to talk about "Bugging out" and how they have "Bugout bags" put together but how many of those people really put them to the test by walking from one city to another?

Erik 1
01-24-11, 12:39
Thank you! That's really great.

Neville
01-24-11, 15:42
As weight is THE issue, is he familiar with Ray Jardine's ideas on reducing weight and adding fun and comfort on long trails?

http://www.rayjardine.com/

Also look at the various ultralightweight approaches to hinking:
http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/

bfayer
01-24-11, 17:07
Ok, I had to join just for the FAIL in this thread. :p

First: I have NOT completed a through hike of 2000 miles. I have EXTENSIVE back country back packing experience. In remote areas outside of the US.

He's hiking through AMERICA. He's hiking (hopefully) on well documented and extensively traveled trails. He can keep in plenty of contact with a simple cell phone. A simple text or call with his route plan every day or two is fine. He's not going to slide into a crevasse, or be mauled by bears, wolves, or cougars on that route! IF he twist an ankle, AND he can't get cell reception he waits a couple hours for the next hikers to come by and help him out. (caveat: When I am hiking in actual remote areas or on a route with a higher risk factor I carry a REAL 406mhz beacon, a McMurdo Fast Find)

ALONE IS FINE, he'll meet tons of friends. The past two years, I've hiked the Alta Via 1 in Italy with some friends. Each year we've linked up with other solo/ pair hikers and made some great friends. There are plenty of girls that hike the back country solo without issue.

What does he NEED to do?
Pre trip:Plan his route smartly with realistic daily mileages. Obtain the best maps recommended for his route and know how to read them.

On the trail: Take care of his feet and intake enough calories to stay healthy and not damage muscle. Use some common sense, and most importantly HAVE FUN.

(my personal rant, feel free to ignore)
SO WHAT IF HE WALKS 2000 miles? Was it an epic experience? Did he meet friends he'll keep in touch with? Does he have all sorts of great stories to share? If not I'd say he wasted 3 months of his life.:no:
(rant over)

Hopefully, if he's contemplating a trip of this length. (Realistically he should be planning 3-4 months.) He's got some hiking experience and got a basic idea about footwear, gear etc.

If not there are some great resources on the web, from people who actually have made hikes of this length.
white blaze (http://www.whiteblaze.net/) is mostly Appalachian centric, but has some great stuff. Check out their packing list.

Most importantly he has to set a date to leave and do it!

Cheers

Vince

This is correct. He will be safer on the trail than he would be walking between classes at at major university.

Tell him to keep his pack light, purify all his water and have fun.

White blaze is the definitive site for long distance hiking on the east coast. Spend some time there read all you can. Ignore the tree hugging, pot smoking liberals and you will learn a lot of good info.

People make it from Georgia to Maine every year with not much more than a tarp, a sleeping bag, and a stove made from a Pepsi can.

His biggest danger will be rodents that will try to steal his food while he sleeps :)

serevince
01-24-11, 21:39
The please explain what ****ing wilderness area exactly I was in with my 2 meter radio backpacking yesterday that constitutes not outside my back yard Doctor Eienstein?

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc3/hs076.snc3/14349_106798469331015_100000025861897_176959_2421801_n.jpg

First: Your backyard is awesome! I'm jealous. ;) Were you on snowshoes? Where are located at?

Second: You went out and back a few miles, a couple extra pounds in your pack meant nothing. A few extra pounds on a through hike will ruin your trip.

Third: It's great that you had your radio. I hope you don't use it as a crutch. If you took the simple step of notifying someone of your plans and your expected return, then radio or no, you would be found relatively quickly. Also that you took steps to protect your batteries from the cold!

Hopefully you can see the biggest difference. He won't technically be hiking by himself. 100's if not 1000's of folks will be hiking those same trails along with him.

Thanks for the folks who saved this thread with some great legitimate info!

Cheers

Vince

serevince
01-24-11, 22:24
My back country emergency kit.

Granite Gear Air Pocket. (all tags removed)
http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c199/serevince/2010-12-01_20-13-35_377.jpg

Contents separated in small zip-locks.
Med kit
Gear kit
Mirror
Knife
406mhz GPS beacon
http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c199/serevince/2010-12-01_20-14-14_570.jpg

Contents of gear kit
Compass
Leatherman Squirt
Petzel e-lite
extra batteries
kevlar thread
duct tape
lifeboat matches
wetfire tinders
patch material
safety wire (repairs, or snares if I get REALLY desperate)
http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c199/serevince/2010-12-01_20-15-09_94.jpg

knife is a little overkill, but it's light has a "metal match" ferriconium (?) rod, and a whistle. I thought initially it was a cheap gimmick, but after using it in the field I was sold. I am "gentle" on the stainless steel blade.Camp duties and fire starting. No prying or abuse.
http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c199/serevince/2010-12-01_20-15-33_496.jpg

Signal mirror, plastic kind.

All the lanyards are Kelty Trip Tease reflective line. If I drop them in the dark I can still find them. Also it can double as trail marking material.

Not pictured: My med kit.
Benadryll
Sudafed
Anti diarrhea
Micropur tabs (all I use for water purification, LIGHT and effective! Nothing to break)
Wound closure strips
band-aids
double anti-biotic ointment
MOLESKIN!

I also cycle tylenol and motrin for all the trail aches and pains and to protect my liver and kidneys.

That's it, I think:D

Cheers

Vince

Erik 1
01-25-11, 21:45
Thank you guys. This thread has been very helpful. I really appreciate the info.

Heavy Metal
01-25-11, 22:15
http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc4/hs1382.snc4/163489_194300377247490_100000025861897_748730_7779412_n.jpg

http://l28.sphotos.l3.fbcdn.net/hphotos-l3-ash1/hs884.ash1/179257_194300703914124_100000025861897_748732_2766494_n.jpg

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash1/hs787.ash1/167781_194301227247405_100000025861897_748745_4942791_n.jpg

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc6/hs027.snc6/165753_194301607247367_100000025861897_748746_6707436_n.jpg

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc6/hs266.snc6/179426_194301670580694_100000025861897_748747_7580368_n.jpg

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc6/hs049.snc6/167951_194302023913992_100000025861897_748748_75349_n.jpg

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash1/hs745.ash1/163744_194303763913818_100000025861897_748764_1759262_n.jpg

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc6/hs050.snc6/168043_194304213913773_100000025861897_748767_5763325_n.jpg

^This was not a light pack. On purpose! These pictures were taken on Caturday.

In the summer, I hike a local stretch about three evenings a week That takes me about 45 min to get to. I have a 4.2 mile circuit I hike with a 45lb pack including going up around 800ft from 2300 to 3100 ft ASL. My personal best is about 1hr and 32min for that 4.2mile circuit and that included a 5 min hydration break at the summit.

Took me two and a half hours Saturday with no break. The uphill part took about 45 min longer than normal. Parts were frozen and treacherous. One really steep part had an amalgam of frozen leaves and snow and the slope was 45 degrees. One slip would have put me way down the mountain in that section. Not steep enough to kill me but it would have been very difficult to get back up.

Just wearing smartwool socks and Gore-tex lined Danner TFX boots along with Swiss snow-gaitors. After 20 min, I had unzipped my coat and removed my gloves. Temp was in the 20's.

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash1/hs745.ash1/163744_194303763913818_100000025861897_748764_1759262_n.jpg

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc3/hs056.snc3/14349_106798005997728_100000025861897_176954_7898120_n.jpg

The 5th of December 09, I did it in the snowstorm at the very end of the storm, it really smoked me good that day! I was well-conditioned that winter, hitting the treadmill with my pack three time a week and it smoked me royally. Snow was about 5-6 inches at the top.

91Bravo
01-25-11, 22:19
You're backpack is your survival kit. You won't need a seperate survival kit. Weight is the trip killer.

Food. We spent roughly $650 last year on 32 days of Mountain House meals (breakfast and dinner) and beefjerky, powerbars, Cliff bars etc for lunch and snacks. About $20 a day to eat well. But our resupply situation was different. We had to mail 5 gallon buckets of food to 7 different places (A fishing camp, general store, dude ranch and post offices). On the AT you can buy basics in towns or general stores along the way. There is a list of Post Offices near the AT that you might consider. It's on one of the Appalachian Trail Conference sites. Just mail a 5 gallon bucket to yourself c/o General Delivery. Be sure to have a drivers license along to ID yourself to the postmaster. Logistically you might just buy things along the way. You're not likely to find good Mountain House though.

If you need logistic support in Pennsylvania PM me.

LowSpeed_HighDrag
01-25-11, 23:35
Ive only done 4-8 day backpacking trips in the past, but I am a gear queer and this have some very nice packs. My favorites so far are:

for 40-60 lbs I love my Osprey Aether 70.

For deep winter trips or anything that may cause me to pack in over 60 lbs I use my Arc'Teryx Bora 95.

For the last 100mi hike we did, my Osprey felt great and was nice to have when coupled with a fanny pack.

This is about the only advise I can give as Ive never attempted such a feat, but it sounds amazing.

LaVista
01-26-11, 11:06
^^The Pennsylvania A.T. Section is a huge pain in the ass. For literally a hundred miles in either direction the shelter trail registers warn you to "Get ready for PA's rocks!". I'll never forget the misery of hiking through the lehigh gap exposure zone, or the knife's edge.

I still preferred to have a small survival kit, along with some EDC items that I pocket carried. My packing philosophy loosely follows the concept of 1st, 2nd, 3rd line equipment. While out on the appalachian trail I did hear of one hikers backpack getting stolen. It wasn't known if people took it or if an animal got it, but his gear was gone either way. Additionally while very rare, if you are attacked by an animal you may have to ditch your pack just so that you can run away/survive. Bears out west in Yosemite know about backpacks and will steal them to get at food, or mock attack hikers to get them to drop backpacks. I can only assume that bears on the east coast have or will eventually have this knowledge.

Every day as soon as I woke up I'd put my pants on and immediately make sure that my Garmin Foretrex GPS was affixed to my wrist, that my Nitecore Defender tac-light was in my left cargo pocket (140 lumens high/low/strobe modes off 1 AA battery), that my Leatherman Wave was in my right cargo pocket (and lanyarded), and that I had a couple of powerbars/granola bars on my person. I also carried a "rite in the rain" pad & pencil. I would write down our plan of action, and any waypoints we were using for the day and the distances involved. The GPS had resupply waypoints as well as every previous nights campsite, so that if I did get badly lost I could backtrack to a previously known waypoint & try again. In addition to those items I also pocket carried a Defense Tech pepper spray. They make a small cannister with built in belt-clip that is the perfect size & weight for a backpacker who wants to be able to fight back but not necesarily carry a 2-3lb concealed carry piece.

In addition to my pocket carried equipment I did have a small Outdoor Research dry-sack with some basic survival gear to supplement my loadout. At night I would hang my pack from a tree adjacent to my hammock, and would bring this small stuff sack into my sleeping bag with me. Inside was batteries for my GPS, light & blackberry, water purifying tabs, fox-40 whistle, signal mirror, and a couple of fire starting tabs, bic lighter, and a sharpie marker. Between the gear in that stuff sack & the contents of my pants I would probably be able to make the next town or major road for a self-rescue.

EchoMirage
01-26-11, 16:15
dont forget tens of thousands of people have been through hiking the AT long, LONG before anyone had cel phones, sat phones, ham radios, etc. you dont 'need' any of them. nice to have, sure, but 'needed', no. last summer i met a guy through hiking the AT. he was in his late 50s, and has done it 6 times. the most hi tech thing he has was a plain cel phone, which he only recently started using.

read up from people who have done it, paying most attention to the 'old timers' who have done it without anything new or tacticool. youd be amazed at what you can do with so little.

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/index.php?

serevince
01-26-11, 16:49
dont forget tens of thousands of people have been through hiking the AT long, LONG before anyone had cel phones, sat phones, ham radios, etc. you dont 'need' any of them. nice to have, sure, but 'needed', no. last summer i met a guy through hiking the AT. he was in his late 50s, and has done it 6 times. the most hi tech thing he has was a plain cel phone, which he only recently started using.

read up from people who have done it, paying most attention to the 'old timers' who have done it without anything new or tacticool. youd be amazed at what you can do with so little.

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/index.php?

SACRILAGE! You must have the latest, coolest gear out there. Preferably before anyone else.

ALL of my gear is either cuben fiber, or Ti. ;)

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

91Bravo
01-26-11, 19:35
Your trip has me intrigued. I dug this out from my long distance trip. Sorry about the formatting.

John Muir Trail Gear List

Revised 9/10/2008

Wear

Poly shorts Rinses out and dries quickly.
DriLite T-shirt
Drilite jockey shorts
1 pr hiking sox
1 pr Mountaineering boots I could go lighter but I feel safe in these.
Web belt w plastic buckle The plastic buckle gets thru airport scans
Sun hat Light color wide brim, sprayed with DWR waterproofing
Hiking Poles I felt these helped us dramatically on ups and downs allowing 2 65 year old guys to walk 240 miles without any injury whatsoever. They better balance a top heavy pack.

In Pack

Lowe Contour IV back pack Latest technology pack bought last year just for this trip
Camelback bladder 2 liters w tube My partner used 2 liter Lexan bottles
2 Additional 2 liter bladders Used every evening to make filtered water for meals
Water Filter – MSR With fresh filter
Lexan Bottle 1 liter Needed for filter to work – Used my partners
Sleeping bag – rated to 15deg Down - 2 lbs on the AT a 30 deg bag would be lighter
Thermorest Pad – 3/4 length Lighter and more comfortable than foam
Thermorest repair kit We needed this.
Black Diamond Mountaineering Tent “Firstlight”
W pegs, poles & lines 2lb 6 ozs. Cozy but light and strong. Carry only 4 pegs. Cut off extra buckles and straps. Also well seam sealed by me.

First Aid Kit Built from an REI backpacker kit
Aspirin For heart attacks & hangovers
Ibuprofen For old mans aches & pains
Tagamet For the cooks errors
Water purification tabs Needed for viri that filter doesn’t get
Tylenol Codine #3 My family MD gave me this in case of major pain. Rx attached.
Imodium For dishwashers sloppinesses
Pseudofed For dusty trails
Battle Dressing No former Army medic goes anywhere without one of these.
4x4 surgical sponges For bloody injuries
Triangle bandage Excellent for sprained ankles and broken arms
Ace bandage
Butterfly sutures Lacerations
Bandaids
Moleskin For feet and chafe spots
Blister pads Duct tape worked for blisters too.
Neosporin
Tweezers
Chapstick 2 tubes We used this daily last year
Small tube Vaseline For dried out noses in desert conditions. Maybe not for AT
Etc.

Pack rain coat Use this for my feet when sleeping under the stars as well as covering the pack left outside the tent
Tea candles 2-3 to warm the tent on a cold nite
MSR Propane stove
Propane gas tank (2 8 ozs per 6 day resupply leg) Can’t take these on the plane so we needed to buy them locally, perhaps in Vegas. Plan 1 cyl per every 4 days for 2 guys.
Foil wind shield
Matches in a plastic bag Can’t fly or ship these either. Coghlin’s were best
Pot MSR Titanium 2 qt
Pot Lid We were boiling water at high altitude. Lid w a rock on top adds a bit of pressure and increases the boil temp.
Pot gripper
Bowl Actually a big measuring cup
Spork Lexan spoon-fork
Dish soap For laundry and bodies too
Scrubber
Salt & Pepper shaker
Paper Towel 1 “machinist” towel/person / day
Toilet Paper – unscented in baggie 1 roll for me lasts a week. Include a small tube of Purell for washing hands after using toilet paper. Purell cures crotch rot too.
Leatherman knife Has scissors and small screwdriver to repair glasses
Waterproof match box with matches
Headlamp & 3 spare AAA batteries I carried the spares for both of us
Toothbrush
Toothpaste sml
Sunglasses Required at high altitude.
Bug juice Required for sanity some evenings.
Snake bite kit Sawyer Extractor
1 Tube of Sun Lotion #50 I carried for both of us
D300 Camera w cover has an all purpose18-200 zoom lens.
5 camera batteries
6 memory chips in pouch Good for 750 pictures (RAW).
Polarizer filter 72mm
Camera/Lens cleaning kit use on lens daily.

Food in Bear Cans My partner was the food humper. 1.5 lbs/man/day. 2 bear cans fit 6 days food.

3 pair spare sox I wore out 2 pair last year. The sox can double as gloves.
1 pr spare jockey shorts I could wear a pair of u-trau 2 days before crotch rot set in.
1 spare tshirt Also good for massive bleeding.
1 spare shorts
1 long pants – lite weight Patagonia adventure pants – lite wgt for sun or cold mornings or rainy days.
1 long sleeve sun shirt Duluth
1 Goretex rain/wind pants
1 Goretex jacket Patagonia
1 Patagonia Sweater Insulation -good to freezing in damp cold. Wore this nitely last year
1 down vest Add warmth to sleeping bag & cold evenings. With Goretex suit sweater and down vest I am good to 20 degrees F
Running shorts For swimming & hot days. Wear w/o underwear to hike on really hot days
Warm ski hat Used daily last year especially good for sleeping
Pack towel for padding straps, drying inside of tent, etc
Personal medications
$300 cash, credit card, drivers license & health insurance cards, return plane ticket in a baggie - can’t leave this in car.

For the AT I would eliminate the down vest and ski hat. It's much warmer than the Sierras.

In Overnight bag to be left in car

Day pack with the following in
Airport Clothes and hi altitude acclimation days clothes. 7 days ?
Camera battery charger
Toiletry kit
Running shoes
Cell Phone and charger
Bag that we put pack in for airport. Mine is an ugly laundry bag that Red made. Ugly reduces the probability of theft. My partner used an Army duffle bag.

Hope this helps.

91Bravo
01-26-11, 20:08
Maps
Compass Set the local declination in correctly. Remember in 2000 miles it will change frequently
Guidebook One that specifies good campsites is most helpful.

A GPS is quite unnecessary on the AT.

Can't believe I forgot these Duh!!

serevince
01-26-11, 21:43
I would shoot for under 30lbs with 5 days food and water as ideal.
That will take very careful consideration, lightweight gear and a thorough shakedown of your equipment.

Places to save big weight:
The pack! You can easily save several pounds here. Size it properly to the load you are carrying. No need for a 8lb 70l pack when a 3lb 50l pack will do the job.
Save an easy pound by ditching a water filter! Bleach or micropur tabs. Nothing to break, no filter to clog and weigh mere grams.
Stove: Most are boat anchors. Get over to BPlite and order a Zelph Venom Stove. Then actually use it a bunch before you go to learn the ins and outs. Once you go this route you will never look back. (I still keep other types for extreme cold. )

Tent:Are you freaking kidding? Tents are for car camping or when you have a Sherpa hauling it:stop: Go with a silnylon or cuben fiber tarp or if you have the money a silnylon shelter. Mountain Laurel Designs and Z-packs both have awesome Ultra light gear. You can also make your own for cheap. There are several plans on the web.

I used a Hennessy Hammock on my last trip (first hammock trip) and was very happy. Great if there are bugs, or poor ground sleeping options.

Under 40 as easily doable, with much less effort/ cost. And still manageable for that distance.

I would consider that my TOP end. If you are 50lbs you carrying things you don't need AND overweight gear.

Cheers

Vince

Erik 1
01-26-11, 22:22
This information is really helpful and very much appreciated. You guys are also giving me a lot more comfort around the whole trip. Thank you.

91Bravo
01-31-11, 07:13
I agree with serevince that a lightweight pack is important. My packbag is the heaviest thing I carry so I have been looking for a lighter one myself. That said be sure the pack is big enough to carry everything inside. Having things hanging off the outside invites loss. On the Muir we found enough equipment to outfit another trip. Twenty miles from the nearest roadhead we found a nice sleeping bag some dumb SOB lost off his pack.

I hike in mountainous areas where building fires is problematic. So I carry a stove. I have tried heat tab type stoves and they are virtually worthless in places where you really need hot food, ie after 3 bdays of rain, high winds, cold etc. I'm carrying an MSR Pocket Rocket that weighs perhaps 6 ounces. The gas cannisters are lighter than the equivalent gasoline bottle but they have the disadvantage that you must carry out the empties. Nothing is perfect.

Tents - I have a 2.5 lb Black Diamond that keeps the bugs and rain off. Which are the primary AT discomforts at night. I dislike using the huts as they are dirty, buggy, cold, vermin infested and frequently inhabited with folks I'd rather not sleep with. But that's a personal preference.

My pack without camera's or water ran about 32 lbs.

We hope this is helping you.

91Bravo
01-31-11, 07:24
One last hot tip. If you're a coffee drinker the Starbucks instant coffee called "Via Ready Brew" is the best. Take a little decaf something for those nights you wake up cold.

NeoNeanderthal
01-31-11, 09:48
Looks like you've got most of the bases covered from other posts as far as necessities. Some weird little lightweight tricks i found helpful that are not necessary, but REALLY nice options that add little to no weight. All of these are cheap (besides the kindle and knife which he should already have) and mostly related to comfort, which if you can get comfort from little to no weight increase, thats the cats meow.

Sponge. When dry they are almost weightless and ones with scrubby side were awesome when cleaning pots. Way better then getting a bandana grungy or using sand or something primitive. A buddy brought one and we all had to wait for him to clean his dish before we did, wish i had brought my own. Weighed nothing as long as you leave it out over night to dry while sleeping and then pack it up in the morning. Some people i met used their bandana that they also used to catch sweat outta their eyes in an effort to save weight. Not worth it, keep shit thats on your skin clean when you dont have access to a shower!

Sweat band. A guy i met on the trail had one of these on his head while i rocked a bandana. Sweat band is easier to adjust, slightly more comfortable, very light weight and though a bandana is more multipurpose you can save it for other things. Looks lame i know, but no one cares on the trail.

A few extra mini bic lighters and maybe a magnesium stick. if you only bring one and lose it your screwed, unless your good at bowdrill :-). This will add wieght but i went with 2-3 mini bics instead of one full size and one did get lost by a friend so i'm glad i had an extra. "Two is one, one is none."

*A mesh bag. Super light, it sucks packing up a wet tarp/tent and having to hike all day with it heavy in your pack and then set it up wet again, once shit gets wet on the trail its a pain to dry it. This meshbag has multiple uses (hanging food) is lighter then a stuff sack, and you can hang it on the OUTSIDE of your pack with your wet tent in it to dry while you walk.

*Wild edibles book. (electronic) Im a naturalist so this was something i felt i needed, it let me take less food and confirm plants i wasnt sure about. A paper one is kinda heavy so you could always get a KINDLE and put a 1000 books and maps on it, including hiking guides, plant guides and just shit to read. Battery lasts for like 2-3 weeks, and if you have a solar charger or stop in town you can charge it then. Lighter then even one book and you can scan maps, convert to PDF and put them on the kindle. Cant emphasize this enough it was nice to have stuff to read at night and not feel bad about the weight. Can also download books on the trail if you get the 3g version. Never did that but that'd be sweet i guess. People will think this is lame but when your hiking for weeks, talking to yourself gets old.

A good sturdy knife. Backpackers are great at saving weight, but in my opinion going with a lightweight skeltonized flimsy knife will bite you in the ass. Not the place to skimp. Drill holes in your toothbrush handle- not your knife. I like benchmade griptillian but it doesn't matter as long as its good.

Dehydrated Babywipes. You can dry them before at home you hike which makes them light as hell. If you don't have time/place to take a dip you can keep your man parts from rotting off by dipping one in water (rehydrating them) and giving yourself a scrub. Super helpful and can always use as TP resulting in almost no weight gain.

Some ductape on a tent splint. Tentsplint is a light metal tube like 4 inches long. If your tentpole breaks you can slide it over the break and ductape it into place. Ductape is mainly useful for holes in rain gear and going over moleskin for blisters which makes your blister protection bombproof.

Erik 1
01-31-11, 11:07
Thank you all. These replies are great and really helpful.

hatidua
02-04-11, 18:47
Not absolutely required but makes long-distance hiking much easier: trekking poles. Yes, many manly types on a gun forum may think they look funny. 90% or more of hikers on long remote trails use them. -For a reason. And, if you can convince him to use them, Black Diamond consistently gets the most praise from users, be it their carbon fiber or aluminum ones.

A Steri-Pen is much easier and lighter than a filtration pump, but is still heavier than pills (and requires carrying a spare battery). Depends on how you like the taste of iodine.

As others have already said, trim weight to the extreme. If in doubt, leave it home. I look back at all the "must have" items I used to carry and cringe at how much extra weight I carried around.

Have him do a 10-14 day backpacking trip and analyze what items he really needed every day. Ditch the rest of the stuff on the list.

No need for a big pocket knife, a Leatherman "Micra" has every implement you need on it.

Simplify battery needs by making sure all devices run the same type of battery (AA, AAA, Etc). No point in carrying spares of three different sizes of batteries.

Skip taking a flashlight, use a small LED headlamp instead.

Lastly, there are many entire websites & forums devoted to the five major thru-hikes in this country. No need to reinvent the wheel, Google is your friend.

George63
02-05-11, 14:10
As was stated, for hiking white blaze is the main site. As trails go the AT is arguably the premiere trail in the world (this from another hiker who has done the major trails through out the world) so starting in FL or other spots is unlikely to be a better experience than starting at springer in GA. The AT is mostly not a remote trail and only because of careful planning does it give a sense of wilderness. By the end of Feb a northbound hiker will not "be alone" so you do not need a rescue devise etc. cell phone is nice because of the rarity of pay phones (verizon is the best coverage) As stated before ,your pack is your emergency kit, I see a lot of trail runners in the back country carrying a water bottle and cliff bar, any hiker is in much better shape to get through a bind. As for gear I have been at this long enough to not tell someone what to buy or carry, I take it he already has a kit, I will copy a post I made on white blaze about how to sort the gear for a new distance hiker.

One more item not covered, the threat that has knocks more hikers off the trail is ticks, most folks worry about the wrong thing but I have known of more serious issues with lyme disease than anything other one item, another good reason to hike in the winter.

George63
02-05-11, 14:26
This was a reply to a post that a pack was to heavy

Do not think of the AT as a 5-6 month hike, think of a series of 2-5 day hikes. Before you leave for the AT (as soon as possible) pack for and go on a 4 day hike. Even if it is only a 1 day local trail have someone drop you off and stay out 4 days, packing everything up, hiking and setting up each day. When you get back make 3 gear piles, unused stuff, stuff that you used but could have done without and absolute essentials. From the unused pile put a ziplock on the scales and take 1 pound or less (fist aid etc). From the used but non-essential pile take two pounds or less. Now repack your essentials, four days food, 1 liter water and weigh your skin out kit (pack, everything you wear and carry) If it is less than 35lbs go out and go for it (if you finish you will be carrying less, but it will be because of your experienced decisions) If the total is more than 35 than some different gear may increase your chances of successfully hiking long distances. That would be the time to post your gear list. Until then you may be replacing one unused item with a lighter, more expensive but still unused item.

EzGoingKev
02-05-11, 15:13
I am no where near as experienced as other posters but have been doing a few mile day hikes lately and want to get into more including some weekend camping.

I am starting to put together gear and I would recommend:
- Tweezers and not the toys that come with a Swiss Army knife. Great for getting ticks off you and whatever else.
- Coffee filters. Light weight, takes up little room, and will keep dirt/crap out of your water before you purify it.
- Boot laces or even better yet some parachute cord.
- Lightweight rain parka with a hood.
- Zip ties.

Just like out in the fleet, I still put dog tags in my boot laces so they can ID me and get my blood type should I not be able to provide it.

Foot powder is something I am debating on packing. Maybe not a necessity for all, but my feet really get hot and sweaty when I am active and the foot powder really helps.

RWBlue
02-07-11, 21:56
Where to start.

I will be on the AT this summer. No I am not thru hiking. I have a job, life and .....responsibilities.

I suggest you buy the complete set of books and maps from AT org. I have a complete set. They are worth every penny. He will need to study and plan the trip. Think of this as a military mission if need be with food and gear drops pre-planned. I really do like Microsoft Project for planning. Then assume that the plan will change the moment he steps on the trail. You need to have a way to adjust the plan.

I would suggest looking into a good smart phone. I like my Andriod based phone, but .... This smart phone will serve multiple purposes. It is his camera. It is a lifeline if needed. It is an extra map. It is a diary (log book to be more manly). It allows him to access the internet. It is his plan. It is his way to call for information if needed. It is his way to make changes to the plan.

If you are going to have a phone, you need a way to charge the phone. I had a solar charger for another phone. I hope they have made something better.

Updated to remind the OP that he will not have phone access all along the AT.

RWBlue
02-07-11, 22:02
I assume he has hiked, camped, navigated before.

As a thru hiker think about the things he can not bring.

Think about replacement/gear refresh locations/drops. Another through hiker told me they started out with heavy boots, them moved to cross trainers, and finished wearing sandals.

Additionally, you can not buy everything at the start. I have been told that the feet will grow along the way. The body fat will shrink (waist line). Even some people say their food tastes changed.

RWBlue
02-07-11, 22:12
Weight is a stopper on a trip like this, but going ultra light can be a killer.

It is all about risk awareness and risk mitigation.

Or maybe I should put it this way, don't be stupid and be too ultralight. I think it was last year when a thru hiker died from exposure.

RWBlue
02-07-11, 22:26
Water
I ended up getting a free ride in an ambulance last year because of dehydration.

Here is what I recommend.
1. Water purifier is a key item. Yes, you can use tablets, but in the end everyone recomends the water purafier and a few tablets in the emergency pocket for when the filter will die (and it will die before the end of a 2K trip).

2.When you encounter water. Fill up yourself and then fill up your containers. By fill up yourself, I mean force yourself to drink. This will help you make it from water hole to water hole.

3. Get a Camel back style drinking setup. Many companies make them. My favorite at the moment is Black hawk, but I don't think brand matters. Get one and use it. People will drink more if they don't have to stop to get water out of the pack.

4. Get a water bottle. The camel back is great for water, but water from a bottle is easier to cook with and if you want to make something like gator aid, doing it in the camel back is not good for a long trip.

RWBlue
02-07-11, 22:32
Tent, Hammock, tarp and drop cloth.

I don't like bugs so the tarp/drop cloth are out.

I think I will start out with a tent for the cold season and then move to a hammock as the weather gets warmer.

RWBlue
02-07-11, 22:57
Ham radio. If he thinks he needs to have a ham radio, look at he VX-8R with APRS GPS. Then remove resister and jail break it so you can transmit on more freqs.

Program the radio for all the APRS, GPRS, FRS, CB....channels.

I don't think having a ham radio necessary. I think it is heavy. I don't think you will find someone every where all the time.

If he is a person who needs human interaction every day, ham may do it.

Side note the VX-8R also does AM and FM so if he needs a weather report...

RWBlue
02-08-11, 12:50
Think about getting a watch that has weather functions.

I know this sounds goofy, but ....it helps.

Tortuga
02-18-11, 10:38
Both of you should register and get involved with the AT community. A great forum is
http://www.whiteblaze.net/

A lot of the things suggested for SHTF and BOB really don't work well on a thru-hike.

It's also a learn and evolve as you go thing. Pre-mailing drops, mailing back gear as it warms and replacing hiking boots with hiking sandals and such. Buying as much calories as you can for the least amount of money...little debbie is a favorite.

2k+ miles really puts a new meaning to ounces is pounds and pounds is pain.
Pepsi can stoves and heet vs a whisperlite intl. stove.
scili-nylon shelter tarp vs a freestanding tent.
Multi-tool vs Tom Brown Tracker knife.

RWBlue
02-24-11, 10:17
I am looking at Ti pot to cook in while on the trail and then something heavier for base camp.

RiggerGod
04-09-11, 23:47
I grew up back packing all along the AT in MD, VA, PA, and NC. It was a great place to get into the outdoors. Haven't thru hiked it yet but I may before I'm done. I am currently working a detail along a 400+ mile stretch of the AT. It is a different trail then when I was a kid. In my experience the AT is both urban and rural enough to be problematic.
Tell your son to BE CAREFUL. Make sure he is quick to be friendly but slow to trust people. Have a regular check-in schedule; make it reasonable and make damn sure he sticks to it! In my not so humble opinion if he interest and aptitude to defend himself bringing along something to help out would be a very good idea. An Asp Key defender and a decent hiking stick would be a start. It is sad but I've met way too many dirt bags on and around the trail to feel as comfortable on the AT as I once did. I carry my Sig in the backcountry for the two legged critters, not the four legged ones.

Any questions or more info please let me know. Best of luck to him. It should be a heck of an adventure!

Redmanfms
08-28-12, 13:17
So, did your son end up making the hike?

If he did I'm sure many of us here would love to read about his experiences.

RWBlue
11-03-12, 19:28
So, did your son end up making the hike?

If he did I'm sure many of us here would love to read about his experiences.

+ 1

I spent some time on the AT this year. Day trips mostly. I need to do more next year.

bleaman225
11-11-12, 03:06
I hope he made it!! It's a truly amazing experience to spend 5 months hiking through some of the best the east coast has to offer. Words can't describe it. I figure I kinda know since I just did it. 2184 miles and 5 of the best months of my life :dance3:

If anyone does want to read about it, here's my journal and gear list... (edited to add: I'm still not caught up with the last few weeks of journal entries)

www.trailjournals.com/benleaman <-- daily journal
http://www.geargrams.com/list?id=9151 <-- gear list

I don't want to brag too much but I feel I earned it...

IdahoNomad
12-27-12, 22:02
I spent a month on the Appalachian Trail last Feb/March, traveling from Springer Mtn and stopping in Damascus VA. My biggest lessons learned are:
1. Dont over pack, do as many pre trips as you can to find out what you dont need. You will eventually end up shipping stuff back. My final weight was ~30lbs for full pack with 4-5 days food and ~3 litres water.
2. My cell phone was enough as far as communication. The only place it didnt get good reception was the smoky mountains. If it did break, run out of batters, get lost, whatever there are tons of other people on the trail.
3. Take it slow, I started around 14 miles a day and by the end I was averaging 16 miles a day with a few 20+. I ended up with a nice shin splint that cut my hike short early. Dont be afraid to slow down and rest, the trail will always be there.
4. Dont get super worked up about shipping food drops or mail drops ahead, send them to certain key locations. Part of your routine you will develop will be to always be looking 4-5 days ahead to find your next resupply.

Also you should check whiteblaze.net, its a great resource for long distance trips.