PDA

View Full Version : KAC SR-15 IWS writeup in the new "Special Weapons: For Military and Police"

ALCOAR
01-16-11, 20:41
Hi gents, some of you may know already that I scour through tons of various gun rags a month with by in large roughly 90% of the articles and such being rather useless, if not down right wrong. That said, I do come across a great read or two each month and I try and post them up on here to let you guys know for one, and two to let the few good, respectable Authors be heard and acknowledged for a non-biased, informative written piece.

For myself and a number of other members on here the article does not offer anything new or press worthy but for those that might not be aware of the lineage and proprietary features of the SR 15 IWS's, this is about as good of an informative review as one could write. Some might read the thread on here that is rather large that is titled something to the effect...why the KAC SR 15 is special, and this article sums that huge thread up rather well. Its a very straight forward piece, no rants nor raves...and just a few actual "tests/evals", and they were in regard to accuracy. The accuracy reports were shot with Green Tip which shot 5 rds. at about 2" @ 100yds, and 55gr. FMJ shot about the same....then the Author switched to Fed 55gr. JSP(common duty/LE load) and shot 5 rds. close to MOA. This was a nice little tip for those who already own these great guns. New ammo to try asap:p

Anyways, I found it at the local WalMart and the article was written by Cameron Hopkins, with the photos by Ichiro Nagata. Again it's the Feb/2011 Special Weapons: For Military and Police

I'll end it on my favorite quote of this writeup...." After all, it's not often a legendary firearms designer is given a second chance."

http://i55.tinypic.com/a9prfl.jpg

Belmont31R
01-16-11, 20:49
Has to be the heaviest SR15 Ive ever seen! :cool:

mrosamilia
01-16-11, 20:51
Just absolutely loving mine!!!!

DDgunslinger
01-16-11, 21:03
Thanks, I'll have to check that out

Robb Jensen
01-16-11, 23:16
Nice. Currently my softest shooting 5.56mm AR is my KAC SR15E3. Mine is equipped with a KAC Triple Tap comp and a VLTOR A5 receiver extension with a 5oz A5 buffer with a Brownells chrome silicon standard rate A2 buffer spring.

Stay away from magazines as a general rule though they'll make you crazy.

Shoot 1st
01-17-11, 00:13
I think it's not secret besides to the people who have not held or shot one how perfectly balanced these guns are.

Iraqgunz
01-17-11, 00:20
Speaking of gun rags. I was at the market this evening and happened to browse at the latest edition of Gun World. I picked it up do to the one of the catchy titles about suppressors.

Needless so say that the author is a COMPLETE MORON and if anyone has any doubts about how stupid some of these gun writers are, this will change your mind.

He refers to NFA as the National Federation Act and then goes onto state that since suppressors are in the same category as machine guns and other such weapons they are all but out of reach for the average buyer. WTF, over? :confused: Unless I am wrong suppressors are legal in about 35 states and I am sure that about half of the states in the U.S allow machine gun ownership.

This guy needs to stick to articles about why the Ruger pistol of the month is the best self defense weapon ever or why "birdshot" is the ultimate in self defense ammo for the combat shotgun.

Shoot 1st
01-17-11, 00:25
Not suprising. To my understanding, most of the time the atricles you see on the cover etc. are there because they paid the most for it.

TehLlama
01-17-11, 00:31
IG exactly pins my sentiments:

The articles are either written by idiots, or by SME's. No middle ground really, and the depressing part is that most of the knowledgeable folks are on here, or a short list of other sites, and that there really isn't anything terrible new in them.

I'll still check them out - but it's for the ads.

variablebinary
01-17-11, 05:35
The articles are either written by idiots, or by SME's.

I have a hard time reading half these gun rags for this very reason.

There are plenty of idiots, and fudds that write gun reviews, and wannbe SME's that think taking a carbine glass and wearing a plate carrier makes them Delta.

rob_s
01-17-11, 05:54
I've never even heard of Gun World. is that a national title?

I don't know that one has to be a FUDD, on the take, or a Delta operator or SME to write an article. I try to simply be honest about what I find with the gun or product, and share my experiences from my frame of reference. It's not overly complicated. But then, I turn down a lot of articles about products which I can't test the way I'd like to or that I suspect won't live up to my standards.

Evil Bert
01-17-11, 06:48
Nice. Currently my softest shooting 5.56mm AR is my KAC SR15E3. Mine is equipped with a KAC Triple Tap comp and a VLTOR A5 receiver extension with a 5oz A5 buffer with a Brownells chrome silicon standard rate A2 buffer spring.

I have to ask you why you choose the Brownell's over the VLTOR A5 spring?

Robb Jensen
01-17-11, 06:57
I have to ask you why you choose the Brownell's over the VLTOR A5 spring?

Because I already owned them vs. Buying new VLTOR springs.

Evil Bert
01-17-11, 07:06
Because I already owned them vs. Buying new VLTOR springs.

No better reason, I guess. I am really considering the A5 system for my SR-15 and my 16" carbine to balance out the extra gas and save the wear and tear on the internals. I assume it would also greatly soften the recoil on the 16" carbine. Would that be correct?

justin_247
01-17-11, 08:05

Another curiosity for you, if I may - I was reading a post on the other site written by Wes Grant over at MSTN which claimed that the "improved" intermediate gas system he helped design with Noveske (.4" longer than the KAC intermediate) led to an even softer recoil on 16" barrels (although not so on 18" barrels, which he prefers rifle-length systems on). Have you any experience with this?

Evil Bert
01-17-11, 10:17
Another curiosity for you, if I may - I was reading a post on the other site written by Wes Grant over at MSTN which claimed that the "improved" intermediate gas system he helped design with Noveske (.4" longer than the KAC intermediate) led to an even softer recoil on 16" barrels (although not so on 18" barrels, which he prefers rifle-length systems on). Have you any experience with this?

I would think that common sense tells us that a longer gas system than the SR15 on a 16" barrel will recoil softer than the SR15. Just like the SR15 using the SR25 gas system, recoils softer than a BCM middy, because it is longer than the BCM, DD, Noveske, etc. In my opinion, the longer than the KAC gas system by Noveske is simply a short rifle length system. Which naturally would be softer than a middy.

MistWolf
01-17-11, 12:16
I did pick up a magazine this weekend titled Surefire Presents Combat Tactics by Guns & Ammo with GAS PISTON ARs: WHY THEY SUCK! emblazoned across the top

ALCOAR
01-17-11, 12:48
What are you even talking about mistwolf....???:D

http://i51.tinypic.com/2i0ap20.jpg

That is the best publication Ive found to date...awesome Authors including members from here like Steve Fisher and Darryl Bolke and others perhaps I am just unaware of. Looking forward big time to see what this magazine puts out in the Feb/2011 copy.

rob_s
01-17-11, 13:10
The piston article is mine (the red banner was not my idea). The Feb issue should have something good too.

Deaj
01-17-11, 13:19
I did pick up a magazine this weekend titled Surefire Presents Combat Tactics by Guns & Ammo with GAS PISTON ARs: WHY THEY SUCK! emblazoned across the top

I recently received a 'magazine' with a parts order that included a SureFire tail cap switch. This mainstream gun rag 'special edition' also read "SureFire Presents..." on the cover. What followed was a pile of 'articles' that were no more than long winded SureFire ad copy poorly disguised as reviews/evaluations. There were non-SureFire product articles as well and most included some SureFire product/part/accessory and these 'articles' spent a good bit of the articles space on that SureFire product. I pretty well knew what to expect from the cover and only skimmed through the pages to confirm before dropping it in the recycle bin. I can't recall which major gun rag sponsored this shameless, self-praising pile of ads as I tend to stay away from gun magazines for reasons already posted in this thread.

ETA: The print on the cover was quite similar to the one posted above. May have been Guns & Ammo. It's gone now so I can't confirm.

The article mentioned in the OP is something I would like to read though. Thanks for the heads up Trident82!

ALCOAR
01-17-11, 13:24
OK....I was just looking it over and pondering if the Rob Sloyer whom was the "Tactical Carbines" contributing editor was the infamous M4C rob_s:)

Very nice article Rob, I am glad it got highlighted a bit during this discussion so that I know to look for your articles in the future. I'm convinced now, Gas pistons suck:D

Robb Jensen
01-17-11, 13:34

I'm shot an 18" intermediate gas gun before but it had an OpsInc can and I shot it with a bipod on it so it's kinda hard to tell. For a suppressed gun it did shoot very soft. KACs is their version of a midlength (SR25 gas tube on a SR15) which is longer than the ArmaLite designed midlength.

rob_s
01-17-11, 13:39
I'm hoping to try a Noveske intermediate sometime in the future. Still trying to find out exact numbers that compare the Noveske distance to the KAC. Maybe gas port size too.

Robb, do you think the E3 bolt & barrel extension play a role at all?

Ed L.
01-17-11, 15:18
The piston article is mine (the red banner was not my idea). The Feb issue should have something good too.

I have a question about your piston article. You mention a little known study where the M4 had fewer malfunctions than any other tested firearm and another test where athe Colt Close Quarters Battle receiver outperformed an HK416. I have never heard of either of these tests. Where can I find information about them?

thanks.

MistWolf
01-17-11, 15:25

I enjoyed the article. I suspected it was yours and my suspicions were confirmed when I recognized your voice. You can tell the editor at least one reader bought that magazine just to read what you wrote and found it worth the price of admission. I'll read the other articles and see if they measure up as well.

Keep writing. An author with a unique voice who can give the facts without being heavy handed with personal opinion has a rare gift

Robb Jensen
01-17-11, 15:25
I'm hoping to try a Noveske intermediate sometime in the future. Still trying to find out exact numbers that compare the Noveske distance to the KAC. Maybe gas port size too.

Robb, do you think the E3 bolt & barrel extension play a role at all?

It might but I'm not sure.