PDA

View Full Version : HK45 or HK45c more reliable?

500grains
01-16-11, 21:36
Ignoring weight and size differences and how they may affect concealed carry or shootability, I would like to ask whether there would be any difference in the reliability of the HK45 as compared to the HK45c. The reason for this question may be ill-founded, but nonetheless I ask it because in the past I experienced less reliability with a short version of the 1911 compared to the full sized government model.

Thanks for your response.

http://www.defensereview.com/stories/hk/HK45-StillLife.jpg

http://www.defensereview.com/hk45-and-hk45-compact-hk45c-pistols-future-ussocom-combat-pistol-cp-system/

skyugo
01-17-11, 00:35
I think they're both close enough to 100% that you shouldn't worry about it.

Gombey
01-17-11, 01:34
I know it's but a drop in the bucket compaired to some of you guys here but I've put 1,075 rounds through my 45c without a hiccup.

True say I don't own a full size yet but I'm sure the difference in size is not a factor. Maybe the reason there is a difference in the reliability of a full size 1911 and a compact is due to the design of the 1911.

Pure speculation on my part as I am still trying to understand the technical aspect of firearms....

The Dumb Gun Collector
01-17-11, 02:26
They are both just enhancements of the old USP 45 Compact. Very, very, very reliable. Basically as reliable as 45s can be. The HK45C was recently adopted by the SEALS, which is a sign they are pretty dang reliable.

F-Trooper05
01-17-11, 02:28
They're both equally reliable. They're nothing like 1911's.

crazymoose
01-17-11, 08:07
I recently purchased a 45C myself. Would have opted for the full size, but I really prefer the original frame and triggerguard design over the Spiderman/Wundergrip that now comes on the full sized model.

Does anyone know if the service life of the full size and compact models are comparable? How about things like spring life?

500grains
01-17-11, 09:58
They are both just enhancements of the old USP 45 Compact. Very, very, very reliable. Basically as reliable as 45s can be. The HK45C was recently adopted by the SEALS, which is a sign they are pretty dang reliable.

Good info. Any idea why the SEALs went with the compact and not the regular size?

Gutshot John
01-17-11, 10:06
Good info. Any idea why the SEALs went with the compact and not the regular size?

FWIW I've "heard" size was the issue. There isn't much advantage to a larger .45 war pistol, while you can conceal the C more effectively. One gun, two roles.

There may have been other considerations involved.

gtmtnbiker98
01-17-11, 10:30
They are essentially the same gun, sans size and grip texture. These aren't 1911's so the smaller variant's do not suffer the same issues as JMB's design.

I own both and prefer the handling characteristics and overall feel of the HK45 Compact. The HK45 is nice, but HUGE for all practical purposes (aside from HD and open carry).

John_Wayne777
01-17-11, 10:50

Because they are carrying it in a holster with a suppressor attached to the end of it...which makes the OAL of the weapon somewhat important.

I don't think anyone has any evidence of a reliability deficit between the HK45 and HK45C. The NSWG has put the 45C through some seriously demanding use and the guns are performing quite well from what I understand.

You may need to clean the thing every 10,000 rounds or so to keep it from choking on carbon buildup, but other than that...

Magic_Salad0892
01-17-11, 13:29
Who makes the suppressor in that pic?

John Wayne do you know if they're used with the KAC USP-T suppressor?

S-1
01-17-11, 15:32
John Wayne do you know if they're used with the KAC USP-T suppressor?

From what I have heard, they are using a "shorty" AAC can on the HK45CT's.

Vlobb
01-17-11, 15:37
I had a 45C and got rid of it... stupid choice, I miss it. I thought about getting another or possibly the full size but both are equally reliable. I have shot both quite a bit and never had a failure of any kind.

Entropy
01-17-11, 16:40
Both seem to be fairly equal when it comes to durability and reliability based on independent testing. The full sized "might" be a little more durable in the long run based on its heavier slide.......but that'll probably be post 50k rounds and isn't necessarily pulling teeth.

Pick the model that best fufills your needs. Unless you carry your pistol as an open carry service weapon, you might be best getting the 45c as it is a much more versatile size.

gtmtnbiker98
01-17-11, 17:52
Both seem to be fairly equal when it comes to durability and reliability based on independent testing. The full sized "might" be a little more durable in the long run based on its heavier slide.......but that'll probably be post 50k rounds and isn't necessarily pulling teeth.

Pick the model that best fufills your needs. Unless you carry your pistol as an open carry service weapon, you might be best getting the 45c as it is a much more versatile size.
Well, we already know they'll go North of 50,000 rounds with minimal maintenance. At least one particular sample did.

Julian
01-17-11, 18:55
I've had them both. Like the 45C more, sold the HK45. It's a bit large for concealed carry. The HK45 has a groove in the trigger guard that, depending in your hand size, can cause a blister on the trigger finger. Happened to me at a five day training class.
The HK45 mags fit the 45C so I use carry the 45C. with HK 45 mags as spare mags. Gives the same round count as the HK45.
The little extra barrel doesn't seem to matter. Nor does the sight radius.

JHC
01-17-11, 19:15
From my read of the Todd Green's interview of Ken Hackathorn and Larry Vickers about the development of these guns, I'd tilt to the 45C. Seems to have a few minor qualities closer to what they were after. Grip and the 45C's trigger guard lock of grove.

winmag45
01-17-11, 19:28
I have a 45C and I love it and it has never failed.It went through a class at USTC with flying colors.Only 2 things need to be delt with,it needs a a good trigger job.Also the night sights are useless.

9111B
01-17-11, 21:13
From what I have heard, they are using a "shorty" AAC can on the HK45CT's.

I didn't know the compact tacticals were out yet. Are you sure the aren't carrying USP's? Or maybe they get their toys before the civilian market.

S-1
01-17-11, 21:27
I didn't know the compact tacticals were out yet. Are you sure the aren't carrying USP's? Or maybe they get their toys before the civilian market.

They're not USP's. They are HK45C's with a threaded barrel and raised sights.

Magic_Salad0892
01-18-11, 00:12
Is that HK45 at the top on of the FDE prototypes?

It doesn't have the P30 grip....

F-Trooper05
01-18-11, 00:51
Is that HK45 at the top on of the FDE prototypes?

It doesn't have the P30 grip....

The early prototypes had the P2000 style grips.

armakraut
01-18-11, 05:04
If either of them happened to be less reliable than the other, it would still be more reliable than all the other .45's ever made.

crazymoose
01-18-11, 09:27
The early prototypes had the P2000 style grips.

There's zero chance of it happening, but I wish HK would release a full size HK45 with the original P2000-style frame. In addition to having a better trigger guard and mag release, it's just a much better looking gun. I also think it provides a better surface for attaching skateboard tape, for those who really want an aggressive grip.

Used to own a P30L, and to be honest, the Wundergrip did nothing for me. I've said it a million times, and I'll say it again: unless you're talking about a really gross disparity between grip size and hand size, using a gun's "feel" as a criteria is bullshit. Both Glocks and 1911s felt terrible in my hand when I first started shooting them. Now I shoot them better than anything else. The P30L "felt" great in the hand, but I could never warm up to the DA trigger on it, and the new "S" models have a safety that's too low-profile to ride like a 1911.

Great job, HK. You obviously know better than your two consultants, one of whom is one of the fathers of modern defensive handgun training, the other a long-time member of arguably the most elite SF group on the planet, and one of the greatest 1911 smiths. To be fair, HK has done an exceptional job on this gun, it's just that it was so close to being even better. HK has always been superb from an engineering standpoint, but they've always lacked a bit in terms of "shootability."

xray 99
01-18-11, 12:19
I put Heinie Straight 8s on my 45C and love the gun. My only complaint: spare mags are expensive.

500grains
01-18-11, 12:33
Gentlemen, thank you for the excellent input. I will opt for the HK45C. Does anyone know if the FDE model HK45C with threaded bbl has been released for civilian sales yet?

Defaultmp3
01-18-11, 13:31
Gentlemen, thank you for the excellent input. I will opt for the HK45C. Does anyone know if the FDE model HK45C with threaded bbl has been released for civilian sales yet?

I recall reading on HKPro that H&K has no plans to release the FDE frames to the civilian market at this point. OEM threaded barrels can be bought from various vendors, such as here: http://www.hkparts.net/shop/pc/HK45C-Compact-Tactical-Barrel-213p1036.htm

mrosamilia
01-18-11, 16:38
No fde is what I understand that was for JCP program that fizzled.

loupav
01-19-11, 00:04
I can't imagine one being more reliable than the other. They are a completely different animal than a 1911. Buy the one that fits you better, get some ammo and be happy!

TAZ
01-21-11, 19:35
No first hand experience with the compact, but my HK45 ran like a Swiss watch no matter what I fed it. My buddies compact did the same. The full size is a pretty big gun. If you are looking at doing the CCW thing with it, the compact will be a much better choice. I managed to conceal the HK45 well enough to not be made, but honestly it did not conceal well for me. Using the same Raven Phantom, my G21SF conceals better. That however is a very subjective thing as its body shape and activity related. To this day seeing the HK45 and HK45C makes me want to drool and fondle one. The 45C with the the light LEM is a very tempting piece for CCW. Just thinking about paying $70 for a mag busts that bubble jiffy quick though.

dc202
01-21-11, 21:16
I had both and now have the 45C. Both are cold stone reliable.
The 45C better fits my needs and can accept its own 10-round mags. The 45 full-size was bigger than needed, especially since it offers nothing in extra capacity.