PDA

View Full Version : Threading an AK muzzle

m4brian
01-17-11, 06:23
How hard is it to thread a bare (post-ban) muzzle? I read on other sights of guys doing it with a kit.

Also, how hard would it be to chop the barrel, slide the FSP back, and permanently install a 74 brake?

Thanks.

BBJones13
01-17-11, 10:46
No experience doing either. I would not attempt myself on a chrome lined barrel. I would want a professional to do that.

I know you can buy a front sight block with a threaded portion attached to allow for mounting a AK74 break. Check out KVAR.

yellowcarbon
01-17-11, 15:03
If all you want is a flash hider that doesn't need to be concentric to the bore (like a QD sound suppressor flash hider), it is pretty easy. Check the barrel diameter to see if the thread pattern will work. I had a Romanian SAR-1 that I threaded to 14x1mm LH. The unthreaded barrel was the correct diameter to work. You will need a threading kit. They used to rent them out, but I don't see them anymore. You can buy one from CNC Warrior.

The kit consist of a die and thread alignment tool (TAT). You put the TAT into the barrel and put the die onto it. It keeps the threads fairly straight to the bore. Then use the die to cut the threads. There is a handle that adjust to the bore

Alway use cutting oil on it while do the cuts, cooking oil works fine. Do short turns, like 1/8-1/16 of a turn of the circle. Then reverse/unscrew the die to allow the metal shavings to fall out. If you let it build up too much, it can break the die and/or mess with the threads. Take your time, cut then undo, cut and undo. Set the die so it cuts shallow threads. Then repeat with the die cutting deeper. All in all, I think it took me 15 to 20 minutes to do the first time. It is pretty simple when you have it in front of you.

If you want a Ak74 break, you can thread it as above and add a 14x1mm to 24mm thread adaptor. I have used the Krebs version and it is very nice. CNC Warrior makes both the thread kits, AK74 breaks and thread adapter. So it is an easy one shop stop.

Shotgunner
01-17-11, 19:05
If you go shorter than 16" you will need to weld the muzzle brake on or do an SBR on it to be legal.
Unless it is on a pistol.