PDA

View Full Version : Ace Skeleton Stock install without new screw

Jimston
01-17-11, 10:03
So i just installed the Ace Skeleton stock onto my MT6601c but have run into a problem. The stock buttstock screw that was holding my A2 stock in place seems to be to long.

It is roughly 1 1/8 inch long. It may be that i'm just having a tough time making the last few revolutions, but i'm not sure.

Am i in danger of damaging my buffer tube if i try to tighten it anymore? the screw is sticking out of the back of the stock by 3/8 inch. I feel like i could tighten it more, but it feels as if it's very hard to do so.

it looks like i may need to find a shorter screw? Will a hardware store have what i need?

Thanks to anyone who provides me any info.

MistWolf
01-17-11, 13:06
A couple of pictures or a clearer description would help.

Take a step back along with a deep breath and study the situation for a moment as yes, forcing a screw that's too long can cause you grief. It can damage another part or is could bottom out and strip the head or shear the screw.

It is roughly 1 1/8 inch long. It may be that i'm just having a tough time making the last few revolutions, but i'm not sure.

From this statement, I believe your screw is hitting something it shouldn't or it's bottoming out.

Is the screw all thread, or is there a part of the screw shank that is unthreaded? If it has an unthreaded part of the shank, it could be that the screw is "shanking out", that is, the unthreaded part is contacting the threads of the receptacle. If so, do not force it! It could cause the screw to lock into place making it impossible to remove.

As to whether or not you can get a replacement at a hardware store depends on what type of screw it is and how well your local hardware store is stocked. Another source is to look up Fastenal http://www.fastenal.com/web/home.ex and see if they have a store local. Or try Brownells http://www.brownells.com/

If the shank of the screw is all thread and you determine that it is indeed too long, it can be cut short and a slight taper ground on the cut end to clean up the cut and create a starter thread. If you don't feel comfortable doing this, get a new screw. It should be cheap enough

Jimston
01-17-11, 13:25
A couple of pictures or a clearer description would help.

Take a step back along with a deep breath and study the situation for a moment as yes, forcing a screw that's too long can cause you grief. It can damage another part or is could bottom out and strip the head or shear the screw.

From this statement, I believe your screw is hitting something it shouldn't or it's bottoming out.

Is the screw all thread, or is there a part of the screw shank that is unthreaded? If it has an unthreaded part of the shank, it could be that the screw is "shanking out", that is, the unthreaded part is contacting the threads of the receptacle. If so, do not force it! It could cause the screw to lock into place making it impossible to remove.

As to whether or not you can get a replacement at a hardware store depends on what type of screw it is and how well your local hardware store is stocked. Another source is to look up Fastenal http://www.fastenal.com/web/home.ex and see if they have a store local. Or try Brownells http://www.brownells.com/

If the shank of the screw is all thread and you determine that it is indeed too long, it can be cut short and a slight taper ground on the cut end to clean up the cut and create a starter thread. If you don't feel comfortable doing this, get a new screw. It should be cheap enough

I apologize for some of the unclean points i made. It's bee a long work day and i'm too tired.

The screw is the stock buttstock screw that is used to fasten the standard Ar15 stock to the buffer tube.

The screw is fully threaded and has a cone shaped head.

This is the exact type right here http://www.brownells.com/1/1/28250-butt-stock-screw-upper-a2-butt-stock-screw-upper-a2-dpms.html

except mine is a Colt.

I added the rubber recoil pad that came with the stock. the stock screw is actually the proper size when using the rubber pad, but it is to long when not using the 1" inch rubber recoil pad.

It seems to be tight enough and fastened properly to the buffer tube, but won't know a thing until i shoot it. I doubt i'll be able to shoot it anytime soon, which really doesn't help my situation.

I'm too out of it right now. I should get some sleep and come back later.

I would provide pictures, but i do not own a camera.

chadbag
01-17-11, 13:27
I apologize for some of the unclean points i made. It's bee a long work day and i'm too tired.

The screw is the stock buttstock screw that is used to fasten the standard Ar15 stock to the buffer tube.

The screw is fully threaded and has a cone shaped head.

This is the exact type right here http://www.brownells.com/1/1/28250-butt-stock-screw-upper-a2-butt-stock-screw-upper-a2-dpms.html

except mine is a Colt.

I added the rubber recoil pad that came with the stock. the stock screw is actually the proper size when using the rubber pad, but it is to long when not using the 1" inch rubber recoil pad.

This is when your dremel tool comes in handy.

Jimston
01-17-11, 13:38
This is when your dremel tool comes in handy.

Yeah, I wish i had one. I lost all of my good tools in a house fire not more than 6 months ago. I'm working on reacquiring what was lost.

I'm gonna try to make it to a hardware store today.

MistWolf
01-17-11, 13:56
Then yes, you simply need a shorter screw. Now get out of here and get some much needed sleep!

Jimston
01-17-11, 15:35
I'm surfing the net for data in terms of what screw the Ace skeleton stock comes with.

All i know is that when you buy the Skeleton stock, it comes with the proper hardware/ shorter screw that i believe is an allen head screw, not a flathead.

I'm about ready to just cut mine down with a hacksaw.

JStor
01-17-11, 15:38
An A1 stock screw is shorter.

Jimston
01-17-11, 16:11
I ended up finding the allen head screw that fits like a glove. I got lucky.

I tried pulling on the stock very hard after putting it in, and the stock will not come free from the buffer tube.

I must be secure.

Thanks for the help guys.