PDA

View Full Version : Lightest VFG?

JSGlock34
01-17-11, 16:03
Does anyone happen to know what the lightest Vertical Foregrips (VFGs) are? I'm guessing that the original KAC is among the lightest (if not the lightest) available. The newer MagPul VFGs look on the lighter side. I'd imagine that the LaRue, TangoDown, Bobro and other VFGs that use a QD mechanism would trend towards the heavier end of the spectrum.

Just curious if anyone has data on this.

kwelz
01-17-11, 19:29
The new DD VFG looks pretty light.

Appalachian
01-17-11, 19:34
I would bet Rob S has some data on it squirreled away. I know he has the quad rail/ forend chart somewhere on here, cant remember if it has a section on VFGs. IIRC the QD versions are heavier compared to similar non-QD.

jaxman7
01-17-11, 19:38
If you are going for uber light I think alot of it may have to do with how your support hand grips the gun. For example if you just use the vfg as a reference for placement of your hand/fingers and only place 2 or 3 digits on it buy a MOE for example and chop off what you don't need/use. Therefore making it lighter.

-Jax

strambo
01-17-11, 20:08
My guess would be the KAC plastic issue one & the MOE VFG as being the 2 lightest (not considering hand stops).

I've used both of those, but don't have them side by side, the KAC is very light.

JSGlock34
01-17-11, 20:24
I use the 'thumb break' method, but find I need a bit more purchase than a handstop offers. Grabbing a MOE and cutting it down may be the way to go. Right now I'm back to running a KAC VFG, but I've never been satisfied by the attachment method, or confident that it won't knock loose under hard use.

Whootsinator
01-17-11, 21:07
I use the 'thumb break' method, but find I need a bit more purchase than a handstop offers. Grabbing a MOE and cutting it down may be the way to go. Right now I'm back to running a KAC VFG, but I've never been satisfied by the attachment method, or confident that it won't knock loose under hard use.

A Tango Down Stubby may serve you well.

ryu_sekai
01-17-11, 21:17
If you are going for uber light I think alot of it may have to do with how your support hand grips the gun. For example if you just use the vfg as a reference for placement of your hand/fingers and only place 2 or 3 digits on it buy a MOE for example and chop off what you don't need/use. Therefore making it lighter.

-Jax

http://i821.photobucket.com/albums/zz140/raizo_sekai/54a55fba-2.jpg
Cut down RVG is pretty light

Icculus
01-18-11, 13:53
I didn't check the weights of all the vfg's but if you only need a reference point the gear sector hand stop is listed at .6 oz

http://www.gearsector.com/view/product/177/

Brahmzy
01-18-11, 17:06
Think I've owned 'em all at one point, but here's what I recorded. Very accurate scale, FYI.

Ounces:

MagPul AFG w/screw 2.5
MagPul RVG w/screws 2.7
ACE Metal w/screw 3.8
ACE Delrin w/screw 3.1
LaRue Handstop 0.3
Tango Down QD Stubby VFG 3.7
Tango Down Stubby VFG 2.5
LaRue FUG 4.5

JSGlock34
01-18-11, 18:18
Think I've owned 'em all at one point, but here's what I recorded. Very accurate scale, FYI.

Ounces:

MagPul AFG w/screw 2.5
MagPul RVG w/screws 2.7
ACE Metal w/screw 3.8
ACE Delrin w/screw 3.1
LaRue Handstop 0.3
Tango Down QD Stubby VFG 3.7
Tango Down Stubby VFG 2.5
LaRue FUG 4.5

Many thanks - great data.