PDA

View Full Version : Noveske ?

frankdamedic
01-17-11, 20:37
I have decided to purchase a Noveske Rifle. I am looking at the mid-length. I need help deciding which one to get. So far, I am leaning toward the Light Recce FSR, but am also looking at the Light Recce Basic and the Light Recce Basic with VIS. When you consider price vs weight vs the ability to add a light and optics, which is a better purchase? Are there other models that I should consider? Thank you, Frank

CLHC
01-17-11, 20:39
https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=69122

Hope you find what you're looking for!

500grains
01-17-11, 20:51
I determined that a light recce FSR was good for me and was going to buy one. But then I decided to minimize weight so I got the 14.5 N4 carbine with MOE furniture. The VIS is to maximize stability and thus accuracy. If you are going that route, perhaps the stainless barrel would also be a good idea as it will tend to be more accurate than the chrome lined. But if this is a battle rifle not an SPR, then I would skip the VIS but I would get a rail forearm to add lights, grips, etc as desired.

cj5_dude
01-17-11, 23:48
I've recently built a rifle using the Vltor VIS system and I love it. The stability and design of it is fantastic. I'd like to build more guns with it.

Hmac
01-18-11, 00:49
I have a Light Recce Basic w/VIS and like it a lot. I've been through a few courses with it and I have no regrets.

M4Fundi
01-18-11, 01:51
Do you know how much rail space you need? Do you know where your support hand likes to be? How much weight is comfortable for you? Is an FSB important to you? More info would help with advice.

JSGlock34
01-18-11, 06:22
I'd take a serious look at Noveske's VTAC model, my personal favorite of their offerings.

frankdamedic
01-18-11, 09:58
Do you know how much rail space you need? Do you know where your support hand likes to be? How much weight is comfortable for you? Is an FSB important to you? More info would help with advice.
I am looking for less weight. My support hand placement is just in front of the magazine well. Weapons with a FSB are the only ones that I have any experience with, so far. I will be mounting a light and eventually an optic. In the past I have used Trijicon, Reflex and then an Acog. I plan on taking a look at Aimpoint, possibly the M3, M4 or T1. Thanks to all who have responded. I am finding it helpful.

M4Fundi
01-18-11, 12:12
If that is where your support hand goes then you do not need much rail space and the FSR with a 9" rail will be plenty and lighter than an a Low-Pro 11" rail or a VIS 12" and you will have the added strength of the FSB instead of a rail mounted front sight. If weight is the priority. If you need a longer sight radius for irons or you used a more forward support grip then it would be a different story.

All 3 are great choices, but according to your criteria it seems the FSR is best. I love Noveskes you will be very happy.:)

VaeVictis
01-18-11, 15:49
I went with the Noveske basic, then added a MOE stock and handguards with an AFG. I only plan to add an optic and a flashlight at most so I think the MOE offers plenty of space for what I need. I was considering getting a DD lite rail then I figured I'd be spending a lot of money for rails that I'll most likely never use.
http://i1012.photobucket.com/albums/af244/Dan_Meyer/100_1771.jpg

Atg336
01-18-11, 16:35
I'm seeing a Magpul MS2 sling. (Sorry for the hijack)
How do you like it?
I got one too (same color, actually) but haven't thrown it on a rifle yet.

I'm torn between a DDmv4 and a Noveske N4 light low-pro.

Russ D
01-18-11, 17:35
I just picked up an N4 upper and after my initial range thrashing I am very happy with this upper.

JSGlock34
01-18-11, 17:44
I am looking for less weight. My support hand placement is just in front of the magazine well. Weapons with a FSB are the only ones that I have any experience with, so far. I will be mounting a light and eventually an optic. In the past I have used Trijicon, Reflex and then an Acog. I plan on taking a look at Aimpoint, possibly the M3, M4 or T1. Thanks to all who have responded. I am finding it helpful.

If weight is a concern, I'd steer away from the SWS rails. In my experience, they are heavier than their competitors. The VTAC model (http://noveskerifleworks.com/cgi-bin/imcart/display.cgi?item_id=lr-vtac&cat=154&page=1&search=&since=&status=) uses the Troy/VTAC Extreme rail, which is extremely lightweight and uses the same Recce barrel as the other models you mentioned.

I think the N4 Recce Basic is another good model, but I'd call Noveske and see if they could hook you up with the MOE furniture.

VaeVictis
01-18-11, 17:46
I'm seeing a Magpul MS2 sling. (Sorry for the hijack)
How do you like it?
I got one too (same color, actually) but haven't thrown it on a rifle yet.

I'm torn between a DDmv4 and a Noveske N4 light low-pro.

I think it's a good idea for a sling, just not very well executed. The claw end has 360 degree rotation which tends to let the sling get all twisted, and the sides of the sling are becoming frayed from the velcro straps in my carry bag. Plus the "tan" looks more like gold to me. It's a fairly comfortable and easy to use sling though. If I could pick again though I would have waited for the MS3 or tried out the Huskey Amentum sling.

cop1211
01-18-11, 21:13
I've got a Noveske VIS upper and love it.

Atg336
01-19-11, 17:52
The claw end has 360 degree rotation which tends to let the sling get all twisted

Exactly what I was wondering about. Guess I'll have to try it for myself.

Hmac
01-19-11, 18:14
I think it's a good idea for a sling, just not very well executed. The claw end has 360 degree rotation which tends to let the sling get all twisted, and the sides of the sling are becoming frayed from the velcro straps in my carry bag. Plus the "tan" looks more like gold to me. It's a fairly comfortable and easy to use sling though. If I could pick again though I would have waited for the MS3 or tried out the Huskey Amentum sling.

I have one to use as a single point sling, and it's clever for that purpose, but I agree that it frays, and the twisting is a problem.

Otherwise, I don't care for the MS-2 as a two point sling. It gets very uncomfortable at the end of a training day, and the twisting gets more annoying as the day goes on, and the drills get more complicated.

Also have a VTAC, and a VCAS, both padded. The VCAS is nice, well-made, but the slide is stiff. The VTAC is nice, but it leaves me with a lot of dangling straps. If the slide smooths out, I'm going to end up preferring the VCAS.

Only reason to get the MS-2 IMHO is if you have to have a single point sling.