PDA

View Full Version : 9 million piston guns can't be wrong.

tirod
01-18-11, 08:44
What is it, about 9 million M16/M4/AR15's built since the early '60s?

They are all piston guns, each and every one except the pistol caliber blowback versions. Direct Impingement may conjure up visions of some space gun action, it's actually a simple adaptation of the traditional gas action using a piston and cylinder.

Right? OK, pickup the carbine/rifle, shotgun it, pull out the BCG, remove cotter pin, firing pin, and cam pin, separate bolt from carrier.

Look at the bolt tail. Look at the gas rings. That's the piston head end. Look in the carrier. That's the gas cylinder. Gas comes in via the gas key, pressurizes the cylinder. The gas rings keep it from leaking out so it can do work. What it does is move the cylinder, not the piston - no law of mechanics broken there, either can move. As the carrier moves to the rear, the cam pin rotates the bolt unlocked, the upper channel keeps the bolt unlocked, and the BCG cycles the action.

It's a piston gun that has gas pressure directly impinging the bolt carrier to make the action cycle.

No specific agenda here, most just don't see it. If a piston gun is wanted, go for it. The expressed intent of many piston gun owners is to not have to clean it as much, fine. Don't clean the DI either, all the better grade guns keep on shooting anyway. Saying the DI is dirtier than Piston, no. Go look at either piston face after five magazines, they are both dirty. Saying the piston gun is cooler, no, get an IR thermometer gun and read the temps - piston guns at the cylinder on the barrel are much hotter than DI guns are in the carrier. Can you hold the Piston gun cylinder in your hand after a full mag dump? The DI carrier can be.

Where you choose to put the piston is your business, let's just keep an even playing field about it. Compare apples to apples, piston to piston, cylinder to cylinder, not op rod operated bolt carrier to DI bolt carrier. It's not just a DI carrier, it's the cylinder and piston, too.

Ok, piston back in cylinder, cam pin in, firing pin in, cotter pin in, unlock the bolt and insert into upper, close and push the pins in. Don't forget to be safe with your piston gun.

AngeredKabar
01-18-11, 09:43
Exactly. It's not where pistons have traditionally gone, and newer designs still try to adhere to placing the piston/oprod there.

I'm fine with the operation as it was designed by Stoner and others.

pjchang7
01-18-11, 10:41
Is it just me or are there a lot of threads on the first page about piston operated systems today? I never really even thought to go the piston route because the DI system has never raised any doubts in my mind.

Raven Armament
01-18-11, 10:48
Many of us have stated this very thing for many years. The "DI" system is a piston system that uses the bolt carrier as the piston rather than a short rod like the so called "GP" systems. One is located in the receiver and one is located above the barrel.

QuadBomb
01-18-11, 11:07
Right around the time I was getting into ARs I read in Wikipedia, Defense Review, and several other places about how the AR's flawed Direct Impingement gas system blows fouling back into the BCG. My experiences with old, worn-out M16A2s at OCS didn't help matters. I believed the hype and bought myself a piston conversion kit.

After reading comments and articles by Pat Rogers on Arfcom I changed my mind about the subject, thankfully before I installed the conversion kit.

There's a lot of ink devoted to the supposed defects with the Stoner-type gas system, and for some reason it's always the first thing newbs like myself run across when reading about ARs on the web.